Ludum Dare August 24th (Who's in?)

edited in General
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/

19 days time, as of now, that's fair warning.

Every Ludum Dare I've been in so far has been an amazing experience and a huge learning leap for me. I can't recommend participation enough. It's a great way to rack up experience and test ideas in a low pressure environment whilst under a lot of pressure. For anyone that is just now getting into game development, you are only hurting yourself not being involved in this.

I'm hoping it's possible for a group of us in Cape Town to jam it out together (I know the Wits team are going to be doing it).

Comments

• We'll be on our way up to JHB for Amaze then. But if there's a jam happening somewhere there, we might join in... Too bad it's not a long flight, could planejam it ;)
  • I can probably offer up the Soft-Dev interest group room for the Ludum Dare weekend, but I might need to work on other things and not jam myself (studying/projects for uni).
  • I might have to do some moving that weekend, if not, I'll definitely participate... maybe we can get shuttleworth lab again?
  • Looks like that's going to be a super busy weekend! Well my first priority is to get my prototype to a workable state :) Good luck to jammers :)
  • always keen ^_^
  • I cant take part for logistical reasons :< Think it'd be worthwhile for me to come in on the Saturday to help test/give opinions and just "be there"?
  • Also keen, as ever! My only suggestion is to make sure we have a kettle that doesn't leak. I know you Indie devs sometimes have to cut costs, but c'mon! :P
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • edited
    I'm keen and we have a plan for the kettle! With all the boiled water that will be available, we will gamejam like a triple-A studio in perpetual tea-time!
  • What's all the hate for my kettle about ? :P Though I agree an improved kettle will facilitate fear-of-being-electrocuted-to-death free coffee breaks, and probably more productivity too.
  • It did provide for a fun mini-game, that's true!
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • I might enter this Ludum Dare, and hopefully I won't get too many over ambitious ideas. :P
  • Desperately keen to join proceedings, but alas I don't think I'm going to be able to squeeze it in between life and better halves... :(
  • Hi guys, the ludum dare site has a post with a list of real world jams happening. Should I leave a comment to let 'em know we're doing it? Are we definitely on?
  • Hey Guys, just so you know the A-MAZE 48 hour jam is happening on this same weekend. Just something to consider! The Jam games will be presented as part of the festival at some point, if I'm correct.
  • Totally. I can try organise an actual room at UCT this time as opposed to the Hobo Apocalypse that is the Shuttleworth Lab...
    If people are keen that is.
    Thanked by 1Manikin
  • shotgun not by window with the mystery death draft :p
    Thanked by 1Manikin
  • Hobo Apocalypse, haha! Alright, well I'm going to make a post on the LD48 post and let people know. We'll just say UCT for the time being, and I'll link to this thread.
    Thanked by 2Merrik raxter
  • Are the AMAZE jammers participating in Ludum Dare? It seemed to me that choosing that weekend was done in order to cunningly coincide with Ludum Dare.

btw. I'm not sure if I'm going to be following the theme this time.
  • As far as I know, the date was chosen as a side effect of the festival - so its just a massive (lucky) coincidence..

I'm certain it will be discussed (and encouraged), and I'm sure (and hope) that there will be some people who try and build for LD, but we'll have to wait and see.
  • Ah, excellent - I haven't had a thorough look at the AMAZE schedule so I didn't realise that was happening.

Also, is there an official Joburg Ludum Dare gathering apart from the AMAZE one, or is the AMAZE one basically the Joburg one? Either way you guys may want to make a post on the LD site for both. Though it doesn't look like the guy is updating that list very frequenty.
  • Well, I will be at the AMAZE Jam, will look at the LD theme definitely, but otherwise have some ideas of my own that need to get done...
  • edited
    I actually found this thread from the Ludum Dare list of real world gatherings.
    I entered the previous one and was planning to go at it solo again until I saw this, and thought it might be more fun working with some like-minded local devs.
  • edited
    @Miltage If you stay in CT then you should totally join us.

So who's keen to jam at UCT?
    So far the list is: @Manikin, @raxter, @creative630, and myself. @BlackShipsFilltheSky are you jamming at Amaze or in CT?
  • I'll be in Cape Town!
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • I cant take part because I write a midterm exam on Wednesday :( I will be with all the participants in spirit though!
  • I won't be able to join either CT or JHB - will be with my folks in PTA before AMAZE goes crazy.
  • edited
    Work is semi-crunching, plus got the prep for my classes on Friday and Saturday, by which time I'll have gone without enough sleep not to want to do it even more over the weekend, and need the rest.

If I make it, it'll probably only be for an of hour or two to cheer you guys on, maybe help out if I can.
  • Work is super crunching... I... want... to... do... Ludum... Dare... so... much...

If I take part it may earn me the ire of my work mates... If I can just get everything done in the next two days...
  • I wanted to join you guys but I won't have a car this weekend. Guess I'll have to tackle it solo again. Next time!
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky there is always the 3rd option of crunching at the jam :D