Bro Force (prototype)

Comments

• @BlackShipsFillTheSky In my defence, I have also played it through about 10~20 times.

As we speak, I am mildly intoxicated, and am downloading the latest version. Yay :D
  • Hey there, you guys got any more artwork or WIP pics we can see :D?

We'll have some more brototype gameplay soon.
  • I have this odd feeling in my pants at the prospect of that boss fight <3
  • Hang on, that's not the new art style? What happened?
  • edited
    Two things.

Thing the first: We needed to prototype some mechanics and it is much faster in pixel art and we can get much better feedback as the pixel art version is publicly playable.
    Thing the second: We feel like the pixel art version is a bit short of being a satisfactory play experience, and if we are to use it as marketing for the final version of Broforce (which we're now thinking of as "Super Broforce"), which we have been doing, and as the final release of Broforce is a ways away, it makes sense to improve upon the pixel art version.
  • Giant Dolph Lundgren! <3
  • OMFG SO HOT
  • edited
    Thanked by 1epicfailnot
  • I am loving the hi-res stuff, its looking amazing and I'm sure it will play just as smooth as the brototype. Great artwork!

I don't get what the lower resolution characters are for (eg, the left vs right pic)
  • nice guys! looking tasty :D
  • Two things.

Thing the first: We needed to prototype some mechanics and it is much faster in pixel art and we can get much better feedback as the pixel art version is publicly playable.
    Thing the second: We feel like the pixel art version is a bit short of being a satisfactory play experience, and if we are to use it as marketing for the final version of Broforce (which we're now thinking of as "Super Broforce"), which we have been doing, and as the final release of Broforce is a ways away, it makes sense to improve upon the pixel art version.
  • Both of the pixel art styles are amazing. The only thing is that the new characters lack some detail in the shoulders. But the new environment looks really good, though the tiles may look too messy.
    But, still, THIS IS SO COOL!
  • I don't get what the lower resolution characters are for (eg, the left vs right pic)
    I think they might be hinting at 2 player vs co-op ;)
  • @dislekcia wrote:
    I think they might be hinting at 2 player vs co-op
    I thought it was the evolution of the pixel art style, which to be honest I prefer the older style...
  • I like the new one, although the outline on the old one makes it read better on some of the backgrounds (especially the vs. screen, where the values of the background seem too similar).
  • (are you guys quoting with some automatic button or typing it all manually?)
    I thought it was the evolution of the pixel art style, which to be honest I prefer the older style...
    I thought he was just being funny :) And I do like the new pixel style better. Not sure if the white eyeballs work for me though (both on the pixel art and the full-fledged art), they all look possessed (already under Satan's influence! Plot Twist!)

I LOVE THAT MECH <3
  • Together forever! <3
  • last updates for today.

wana see if I can get 10 of the avatars polished in a day and a half or so...

Thanked by 1duncanbellsa
  • Hmm... Is Chuck Norris intended to look like this?
  • edited
    We've gotten some of the new scenery into the game:

• I'm kinda confused, if you guys are working on a new graphic style completely, why work on the pixel art version's art at all? Or are these just downpixeled versions of the higher res new art assets to come?

Like the skulls in the 2x2 blocks, nice detail :)
  • BROFORE / BROFORCE MULTIPLAYER POSTER! Some polish still to do but mostly done!

• my mind has just been smashed to actual shit
    Thanked by 2creative630 Denzil
  • This is very cool. Well done! I especially like the guy using a nuke as a hang-glider. The size of his beard and weapon certainly gives us all something to aspire to.

One minor gripe: the guy on the right who looks a bit like Kevin Costner from Waterworld seems to be a bit sad.
  • Got to ask. Not that the poster isn't looking awesome, but any reason why they don't look SO much like who they are representing, like it is in the game. I mean, it is clearly Arnie, Rambo, Snake and Chuck, but your ingame avatars is much more clear on that. A much closer comparison is what I mean.

Oh and missile hanging chuck = win.
  • @Actrox copyright/trademark infringement (I imagine). There is a very fine line to walk.
  • Yeah I thought as much, just wanted to find out if I was correct.
  • Some progress video!

• I normally don't like timed levels.

Bit that looks damn awesome!
  • That rocket gas tank was a great touch! Love it! :D
  • Turkish Chuck Norris is back! This time as Luke Skywalker!

Thanked by 1Nandrew
  • I... I think there's actually two of them in that video. Right at the end, one flirts, the other holds the kid.

You have to make Turkish Chuck Norris a bonus character in Broforce. All he does is scream and punch things while nothing happens.
  • We're considering making a Turkish Broforce.

Here he is again in Turksih Jaws:

• Oh! Common mistake. That's actually the Turkish bible featuring sea-based crucifixions.
    Thanked by 2Merrik Navar0nius
  • Your last preview video gave me a strange smile. You know, the kind of smile yo can't get off your face for hours.
    Your pixels are gorgeously manly, and i love it. Keep up the good work guys ! :D

Oh and yes, don't forget that Bros always drive cool trains/planes/boats/rockets/bicycles.
  • edited
    @Douzeju Thanks for the kind words bro! We nearly forgot about including manly bicycle riding! ;)
  • The bicycle riding section should have huge text popping up all over the place:

CARBON FIBRE!

CARBON DISCS!

CARBON NEUTRAL!
  • I just keep thinking about Nicolas Angel in Hot Fuzz for the bicycling.
  • Do you plan to make another Brototype with the new features added soon ? We will help finding bugs ! Pliiiz :3
    Thanked by 1D3zmodos
  • edited
    @Douzeju End of this month if all goes well. Plenty of bugs still to find : P
    Thanked by 1Douzeju
  • edited
    My brothers (haha BROS) and I are huge fans of the game!! We've played through the brototypes way too many times! Hope all is going well and another brototype will be up soon! We try to get everyone we know on Steam to upvote and favorite the game. We'll definitely help find bugs also! Really like the new art design stuff, as far as pixel version versus new art style, they both look great and have their own unique appeal, but if the gameplay is as awesome as, or even more badass than, the early brototypes it won't matter a bit either way!!
  • :O
    Can't wait. I just can't.
  • Looking awesome as always guys :)

My only personal gut feel crit would be that in game, in all that cray action, the hero sprites don't "pop" out very much from the billon enemies. In most intense action games like this that I've played, the player avatars always have something to make them stand out a bit in a crowd, either stylistically in their sprite design, or via some wall-breaking 2D/3D UI mechanic.

Maybe you could try adding a slight 1-4px glow outline on the heros (To Throb or not to Throb... that is the question...), with a different color per player (ie. Gauntlet / Majicka Yellow/Green/Red/Blue) which might make the MP gameplay also a bit less needle-in-the-hay too :)
  • edited
    The XBox Spelunky added a very heavy drop shadow behind their playable characters to make them pop. It was kind of hideous, but it helped players track their avatars. (Although multiplayer Spelunky is very far from the pinnacle of co-operative design).

We have particularly big problems when there are 4 players on screen, particularly since our characters are even smaller than in Spelunky AND the gameplay is 10 to 17 times more chaotic . I doubt we'll ever perfectly solve the problem, but I agree we could be doing better in that area.