Grammarai - IOS Educational game

edited in Projects
Hi all,

Check out what Im currently working on:

http://jaclemgo.carbonmade.com/projects/4902229

Made in Unity for IOS.

Comments

• Haha, awesome name!
    Could you post a video of some of the gameplay?
  • Finally have a video of the game I have been working on the last few months

• Really interesting and promising project! I'm currently doing an MA in linguistics; while language education isn't my field of expertise, I have studied it a little, and I have some questions and observations regarding the game's pedagogical approach.

- Which variety (or dialect) of English is the game trying to teach? Why that one?
    - What are your sources for the grammatical rules of that variety? Why that one as opposed to others?
    - Who is the game trying to teach? How does the design specifically cater to the needs of that group?
    - What informed the choice and order of the specific grammatical exercises?

The game in its current form could be a useful teaching tool, but to a limited extent. It'd be great for grade 7s preparing for their English language exam (I'm not actually sure what the primary and high school English syllabi are like these days, grade 7 was a really rough guess as to when these exercises would be relevant) or looking to expand their vocabulary. However, antonymy and synonymy are really nuanced aspects of any language, and probably not the best place to start learning.

Again, I think the individual exercises are quite well thought-out in and of themselves. I'm just not sure where they fit within the broader context of the game as an educational tool. Hopefully this is all helpful, I'd really like to see how the project turns out. :)
  • @brondin. thanks for the feedback.

Our target audience is more teenagers as there are tons of primary/toddler educational games on the mobile stores.

The content in the game currently are for demo purposes only, so its not aimed at any specific variety of English or even English at all, here is why:

The game is the front end for an educational platform sever, which our clients will use to configure the content in the game, so its not language based nor content based. eg:

All the content has a basic structure:
    Question
    Answer
    Options

In essence, if you want a Zulu game, you can create content for a Zulu game, within the limits of the "rules" of the content server, give your users the new code (which you enter into the startup screen), new content is downloaded, and the game runs as normal, but just use the content provided by the server.

Just for testing, I have made mathematical content also, doesnt fit with "Grammar", but could be used for any subject actually.

The content server once public, can be used for any educational applications\games.

Will keep you posted on the release date of both.
  • Looks great, good luck!