Steven Tu's [art dump]

edited in Portfolios
Edit:

Done a whole bunch of work, commercially and otherwise.

I'm really going to start art dumping here :)

-------------- Original Post ---------------------------

So I do do art, but I've just realised that I haven't had myself one of these art dump the cool art kids are all doing, so... Here we go :)

Also I've been wanting to do some art lately, so here I go, starting on a piece for practice and for fun. May I present:

WIP: A hacker performing high-speed mecha hijacking manoeuvre!
Any input welcome! I've got a funny feeling about the anatomy, but damn I can't exactly get reference for this pose (trust me to make it difficult for myself)...

Larger:

Hihack-02.jpg
2583 x 3656 - 705K
Hihack-02.jpg
600 x 849 - 124K

Comments

• @Tuism - Love it. Very Total Recall (the remake - not original).
  • Woo! I dig how dynamic it is, especially in that pose. :)

I did a quick paintover in case it helps you. Some specific points:
    • when a back bends back the way you've got it, the breasts flatten out a lot.
    • The bottom of the triceps is really flat, no matter how muscular you are. (It's just a flat fascia there.)
    • Maybe think a bit more about the angle your torso is at, and draw cylinders around it to get the perspective right.
    Thanked by 3Tuism garethf Boysano
  • Wow! Anatomy drawing amazeballs! Thanks so much! :D I've never studied much of anatomy before, most of what I do with it is by eye and by intuition, so I really appreciate the help :D

What if the chest were facing more towards the "down" direction than to the left, in your drawover? Is it anatomically suicidal/impossible? My original figure had a bit more more "back" towards the camera, and why that was was also cos of the other arm - Here's an update of the piece before seeing your anatomy paintover - the other arm sweeps outward, so the chest doesn't doesn't turn towards the left as much.

Also I like that your drawing's left shoulder was higher up, which showed the joint carrying the weight of the body - however my position was meant to be at the apex of a jump/manoeuvre, so there's not much weight on that arm. Again, this means that the chest isn't bent so much towards the arm by the weight... Again, is that anatomically silly?
  • edited
    Oh, I see! It makes more sense what you meant to do with it now, especially with the other arm there. :)

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at when you're describing the angle at which the torso's at, and it'd probably be much easier to communicate via images. I think the bullet-point stuff I listed before applies regardless though.

One thing I'll add to that is that while your upper torso has a bit of flexibility, the vast majority of the bending in a spine comes from the lumbar region, so be careful of making your rib cage area too flexible. As far as I know it only has something as little as 5 degrees of rotation, and it helps a lot when you treat it differently. Otherwise it tends to look rubbery and formless.

The array-fx-blue thing looks great! :D Very Netrunner/Ironman/Tron.
  • edited
    Been doing daily spitpainting, speed painting every day is not only fun, it's really effective at levelling up :D Here are some of them:

Enjoy! :D (I did!)

(edit: Fixed links, and realised Facebook wasn't the best image host to be using)

• Awesome! :D They get better and better!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • that chimp. (?)

so rad.

:D
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Great work dude.
  • Very cool :)
    Love the flying monkey.
  • edited
    @Tuism and I thought you only did pixel art... wow man they're awesome, but I have to 2nd (3rd?) the chimp with the unfair advantage wins... the wings and the feet, who'd stand a chance? :)
  • Well done mate, this is awesome!