Big Audio News - FMOD and Wwise free for indies

edited in General
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/212829/Wwise_audio_middleware_is_now_free_to_use__within_limits.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/212696/FMOD_Studio_audio_tools_now_completely_free_for_indies.php

Very interesting, with big implications for MGSA, especially us folks on the audio side. Now even low-budget games that go commercial can benefit from high-quality audio middleware like FMOD Studio and Wwise.
Where audio designers and composers who utilised these programs previously had to wait for huge budgets of AAA games or academic projects, we can now let loose!

Let's make games with fantastic sound, MGSA!

Comments

• Wow! I've heard a lot about these before, but never got the chance to work with them. Keen to see these implemented in Unity soon!
  • Well, not completely...
    [Update: The official FMOD Studio Twitter added that the offer is available "absolutely free for budgets under 100k." Gamasutra has contacted FMOD for additional information.]
  • Currently working on expanding the Unity Roll-a-ball tutorial into a bit more of a game, also adding audio through FMOD Studio (may also try the same excercise with Wwise later, but Unity's native audio is built of FMOD anyway, so it made sense to start there). Integration seems pretty easy, but not very well documented. That seems to be a trend with FMOD. Wwise has way better documentation, tutorials etc.

Will post a video and more on my experience with FMOD and Unity when I've got a working prototype.

Anyone else tried implementing FMOD or Wwise in Unity?
  • Wwise is also "Free" if you don't use more than 200 sound files.

Wwise is so much better than Fmod.
  • @UncleBob I agree with you completely... but I recently created audio for Cube the FPS, just for a demo reel. Just one level, way over 200 sounds. When every footstep has a minimum of 6 sounds for even just 3 characters on 4 different surfaces, that's already 72 of the 200 sounds.

Wwise has an awesome workflow, forum, useability, everything, but quality audio is really difficult to make in under 200 samples...

Am I wrong? Feel free to disagree. I know some people go all out with generative audio, but that doesn't mean you can get quality.
  • I'm about to find out, so I'll let you know how it goes...........I'm going to TRY get everything in under 200