[Prototype Demo]Morning mountain stroll (Won 1st place in Competition !!!!!!!!!)

edited in Projects
Recently upgraded my development engine, to the newest version of the FPSC series, thought the previous ones really were old school FPS type engine with limiting features and graphical equivalent of quake on a bad LSD trip. I am enjoying my current progress with the beta's of the newest version of reloaded.

In its current state it's only a outdoor engine.As the engine progresses indoor scenes will become a reality, It's a real time shader and shadow system engine means any changes made with in the editor is in real time and means near instant test game.

Recently TGC has announced that they will be having a small comp for users created levels, for their steam release, prices included $200 and a Geforce 660. Decided on entering it, for the sake of promoting my media, considering it will be seen by steam users it will be worthwhile enterprise, and can benefit from the PR.

As the title suggests been designing a mountain, right now the design is focused on game play and visual aspect, in particular getting the player focused on the task on hand and using the terrain to channel the direction the player must move in, with visual clues and entity movement.The original design was a spiral path down the mountain and maximize map area, however I soon discovered, although the plan is good, the path is too straight and AI is noticed miles before they should be seen so in other words, the player has opportunity to "think". So basically enhancing the terrain and visually obstruct the player view, keep the path narrow, so the player doesn't go off and explore the wilderness, so if he does go of wandering, indirectly punish him with rewarding him with tougher enemies however no ammo or health pick ups, also put in a hidden shooting range in there.

http://s17.postimg.org/3r09egnjj/Untitled.jpg

Comments

• Holy batman pretty scenery... But um,
    right now the design is focused on game play and visual aspect
    Where is it? :)
  • Lol just waiting for the next beta, release is early next week, which includes newest AI and LUA scripts, putting AI in the map now they just sort of wander, no reason to add them now, game play focus is where AI will be stationed, and paths that will patrol.
  • Work on the coastal area of the map.

Smaller trees ect compared to interior/exterior.

• Still waiting for the latest beta to be released however doesn't stop me from tweaking the map, adding rest areas, and focal points in these areas.In gaming miles I must have gone from JHB to Cape town twice, running up and down the map, checking every nook and cranny, for weak design areas.

• Hey man it's looking verry pretty, I want to play it :)
  • So much imagery. Need moar gameplay. I worry for the day you show us gameplay and we give meaningless feedback cos it's too late to change something you put so much work in/got attached to.

The point of showing people is so you can improve things :)
  • edited
    I know what you mean, still waiting for the next beta so AI can be implemented, they extended the comp deadline to the 15th of next month due to the delayed AI, for now it running around tuning visuals :(

Have added some some game play elements sound zones triggers and paths for the AI.The moment that is up and running I can push for playable level :P

Bits and pieces of the level (excuse the low quality) The walls have been added, to block player view as well, as cover for AI and player, the new AI commands allows for peek, duck and strafing and other little bits and bobs as well as add some additional foliage I found that a true nature level, that player may go off wondering. Missing the game play completely.

Oh forgot to mention the editor is a realtime editor so shaders shadow maps ect in done instantly, build process takes about 10 seconds :P

Layout of the map, Had to consider several aspects, would it be better to go up or down the mountain found it to be better to go up the mountain.

• Hey guys, be careful about overusing Bloom.
  • edited
    Current Beta

Note the readme

Note this engine is still very much in Beta, is missing lots and lots of features, it's bad, but the developers will not be judging the game to harshly as a result of the engine still being in development.

It's recommended that you match my system as currently the engine isn't that optimized for lower end cards, so at least a quad CPU and a 570GTX.

Note with certain elements missing it's is actually really hard to beat the AI, if you are thinking about run and gun, you will be dead with in the first few minutes, however there is plenty hiding places, and some ammo and health picks up.

Other than that, this is the first level I have build in nearly 7 years since, I have moved over to content development.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_pFfSjYuZXkUEFoSDZGWXVJLTg/edit?usp=sharing

Oh forgot to mention, it's not too late to provide some feedback, the developers is short listing 10 games, after which if chosen I am still able to improve and tweak for the final judging, :)
  • Gave it a quick try, tried rift mode, crashed! :(

Ok tried normal mode, take a while to load up....the music is way too load vs soundeffects, pressed esc to change volume , exited out! :P
    I also shot a guy about 20 times, and there was no feedback that i was shooting him, and then he died.

Overall the level design is great, i like the fact you feel like you are making progress and each area feels like a new area.

I also wanted to change mouse invert, couldn't find a way to do it.

Its also really slow and sluggish on my machine, and i have an I7?

It started getting a bit repetitive towards the middle of the game, with the same enemy, the same wall barriers etc.

Anyway, just typing my initial raw experience.

On another note its nice to see FPS with a new version, i played with version 1 ages ago when it first came out....

Thanked by 1wizardofid
  • Still very much in beta I am afraid, dynamic sound zones is only coming in the next version, There is currently no blocking volumes in the engine, so you had to make use of a lot of walls to keep both the AI and player in check.

AI is unfortunately all that is available currently, importing your own AI isn't available yet, or you need to spend money on buying MAX, and other tools, which don't have however soon we will get zombies, and other AI, still very early days.

Yeah rift development is put on hold till the core features is done.Like I said engine is very lacking in a lot of little things, there isn't even a particle system.

The other thing how far away were you from the AI before you started shooting, there is a range limit...

The other cool thing is last week they "hired" (not that they paying me any thing) to become part of the internal testing team, unfortunately signed a NDA, so I have to actually wait till an official beta is released before I able to show case any new features.

Also cool they will be renaming the engine once the first version is released, as they will be adding 3rd person, isometric and top down views in the future, also cool is they decided to update the IDE in the next beta's.

100$ for a gold isn't too bad and this engine has really improved, I wouldn't be surprised to a couple of steam games with this engine in the near future.

But awesome feedback thanks ;)
  • Awesome just got word, I am one of the 10 finalists :p Now the hard work begins have two weeks to polish to hell and back :p
  • Congrats and good luck
    Thanked by 1wizardofid
  • General feedback was the walls repeat too much, trying to fix that problem.Also fixed some issues relating to check points there is now 7 check points all working.Developers feedback was there should be additional weapons, currently working on adding additional weapons.Lol Kind liked the feedback from the developer, "feels like I am playing a game"

So far so good

If you haven't played the first version yet, try it would like some feedback good or bad doesn't matter, really would like to win first place.That Geforce 660TI & $200 will come in handy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_pFfSjYuZXkUEFoSDZGWXVJLTg/edit?usp=sharing
  • edited
    Okay so a couple weeks down the line.They extended the comp till the 3rd of August to bring out the new beta build, and dynamic sound and cover zones, as well as some AI tweaks and new AI, there is also been a healthy AI boost in the form of a rocket guy and a UZI.

As you can see from the VID made a lot of changes, little tweaks and goodies, to make it more rounded level, also added a lot of check points, as you will DIE often :D

• Congrats man, well done. Enjoy your new goodies
  • Thanks but I am more excite about the demo being released with the software on steam, for me that was the goal. The prizes is really just a bonus.

Here is the official newsletter.However bit on the sad side, that they didn't do a mini review, but I am sure that will be in the month end newsletter, better be or there will be hell to pay :P

http://fpscreator.thegamecreators.com/wordpress/