[Event] JHB Shader Workshop - 28 June

edited in Events
When: Saturday, 28 June 2014 9:00-15:00
Where: Microsoft, Bryanston, Training Room 4
Cost: R150.00
Bring: Laptop/PC to do workshop exercises (pre-loaded with Unity3D Pro trial of full version ideal)

It's confirmed! Our very own Claudio De Sa will be giving a workshop on shaders at Microsoft.

"Brush up on the basics of programmable shaders in Unity/CG, the graphics pipeline, and a little bit of maths. Learn about lighting, non-realistic (cell) shading, full-screen effects, and many useful shader-related tricks that will let you create mirrors, smooth curves, swaying trees, and many other effects."

Everyone is welcome but we are charging R150 per attendee to pay for the lecturer's time. The workshop will use Unity3D Pro (trial) for demonstrations and exercises but the content will focus on the theory which can be used anywhere.

I need to get sense of the numbers, so please comment below if you're coming.

Attending:
[list=1]
[*] @Fengol
[*] @DarkRa88iT
[*] @mattbenic
[*] @SUGBOERIE
[*] @Stray_Train
[*] @VQZX
[*] @dislekcia
[*] @Bensonance
[*] @dreampunchboy
[*] @SoldierGamma
[*] @Elyaradine
[*] @Gazza_N
[*] @skinklizzard
[*] @raheel
[*] @hermantulleken
[*] @Asbestos
[*] @DayMan
[*] @Karuji
[*] @Salmon
[*] @Grave_za
[*] @DraughtVader
[/list]

Online:
[list=1]
[*] @Tuism
[*] @Lisa_Chen
[/list]

Banking details:
Name: Make Games South Africa
Acc: 62382993246
Type: Business Account (Cheque will do)
Branch: 250655
Bank: FNB

Please put your forum handle as your reference!

Comments

• I'll be there :)
  • pre-loaded with Unity3D Pro trial of full version ideal
    Will pro features actually be needed? This may be a problem for those of us (likely everyone) that has already had Unity installed for over a month, and for whom the pro license will have expired.
  • @mattbenic, we want to demonstrate some post-processing effects requiring a pro licence. It's not necessary that you have it but then you can't work with that exercise
  • noooooOOOOOOOOOO CRAP. I've got that weekend booked up already with this trip that was pushed out 4 times already, it was a dumb groupon thing. I would totally push it off but it's been changed 4 times already @_@

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
  • Is that date 100% confirmed? Because, flights, y'know?
  • Oh man >_< I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallywannago >_<
  • @dislekcia, yes, I got the go ahead from Microsoft. Whether we're in a boardroom, classroom or auditorium at MS depends on the number of people.

But rather than fly up, should we not maybe organise a Google Hangout instead?
  • Fengol said:
    @dislekcia, yes, I got the go ahead from Microsoft. Whether we're in a boardroom, classroom or auditorium at MS depends on the number of people.

@dislekcia's offering to come and delight in our fine hospitality, AND YOU WANT TO TURN HIM AWAY? How rude, sir!
  • I would do it from the Google Hangout. CAN I??? I just need to figure out if there's 3G reception from where we are on holiday :/
  • @Chippit, @dislekcia would get all the cuddles he could handle if he came up; but I was offering, if there are a number of people interested in the workshop, to setup something cheaper.
  • The way it goes now I'll be attending via Hangout if I can. Can I?
  • edited
    Fengol said:
    Hey! Stop getting in the way of me emulating Rami :( (in cheaper, less awesome ways)
  • I'd be down for the hangout version as well.
  • Soooo, can I get a yes, no or maybe from anyone regarding joining via hangout? You guys might be thinking about it, or not, or something? Anything? :)
  • I will setup a Google hangout, internet willing
  • Can we make sure the internet is willing or not beforehand? @edg3, you're at MS, can we make sure the internet out from there works or doesn't on the day?

I just would like some certainty pleeeease, whether yes or no it would suck if I cleared my things for those hours and it turns out I can't do the workshop via Hangout :/
  • In tentatively - it is my birthday after all :P
  • Booked! Do we pay at the door?
  • edited
    @dreampunchboy, yes, you can pay at the door or at the next community night in JHB before the workshop (10 June).
  • I'll be there. :3
  • list.push("Gazza_N");
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • I'd like to try be there, need to check on capability though.
    if I can't make it physically I'll be there via hangout
  • Looks like I'm going to have to drop out of this one.
  • i'll be there too :)
  • I would like to join as well :)
  • I'm super looking forward to this, but please please please please please make sure the Google hangout thing works, I'm still hanging on to the hope that I can attend remotely without problems, even though I anticipate that everything that can go wrong will :(

Arrrrrrrrgh please please please let remote work!

(how many people area also hoping to attend remotely?)
  • 2 questions regarding payment: I'm driving up for the workshop, can I pay on the Saturday, or do I have to make a plan now? Also, Aeq is keen on the hangout, how can he pay?
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    Can all the people physically attending the workshop please PM me their name, email address and mobile number; which I must provide to Microsoft to get you an internet account.

You can pay at the door or EFT using:
    Name: Make Games South Africa
    Acc: 62382993246
    Type: Business Account (Cheque will do)
    Branch: 250655
    Bank: FNB

Please put your forum handle as your reference!
  • edited
    A ) I'm so sad that I can't join you guys for the physical workshop
    B ) I'm so sad I won't be able to catch drinks with @dislekcia
    C ) I'd like someone to confirm that they've tested or will test the whole hangouts thing, any kind of response to that end is better than none, thanks :)
  • I plan to test Hangout with @edg3 tomorrow.

BTW, I kind of stuffed up. I urgently need your names, emails & phone numbers of people attending. Without it you won't get Internet access
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Me me! :) I'll be there :)

Mmm... I'm Sam...
    salmonscooby@gmail.com
    @Salmon

Please and thank you...
  • I'm good. I've got internet access.
  • edited
    Hi I'm Huang-you and I'm wishing to join the Hangout online session as I cant make it to microsoft on Saturday. My email address is lisachen2929@hotmail.com -do I also pay by EFT?
    @Lisa_Chen
  • Lisa_Chen said:
    do I also pay by EFT?
    Hi @Lisa_Chen, yes you can please pay by EFT. The banking details are on the first post.
  • What shader model version(s) will our hardware have to support to do the exercises?
    I ask because my laptop is no spring chicken!

Is there perhaps a benchmark we can run to make sure the hardware is capable?
  • @Asbestos: I imagine that @Chippit is aiming more at a fundamental understanding of shaders from which you can build a bunch of your own stuff. I think it's unlikely that you'd need anything later than a SM3 card (cards c.2005).
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • edited
    SM3 will do, yeah! In fact, I THINK everything demonstrated should work on SM2 as well, though I've honestly not tested that either way.
    Thanked by 1Asbestos
  • Is there any confirmation of hangout quality?
  • @TheFuntastic yes, it's worked before and we have Skype backup with is dedicated at the offices.

Just a note, we're in Training Room 4. I have updated the first post and will have flyers up at the entrance to guide you.

If you have any problems getting into MS please PM so I can assist.
  • I'm in if there's still space
  • I just checked with @edg3 and the classroom should support up to 36 people with 25-30 being comfortable.

Hopefully this won't be a problem as we have just over 20 people booked already.