[WIP] Alien Lobotomy **NEW** Build

edited in Projects
Hi Guys,

The Story
We, @sugboerie and I, started the game during our first Ludum Dare(29). We came out of it with a little math puzzle that involves changing the brain structure of humans with the objective of taking over the world. Since then we've re-written the whole code and redone the tutorial (which initially totally sucked, and no one knew how to play the game).

We've made a new build of the game with a BRAND NEW tutorial. Followed by 20 levels that "should" get progressively harder. This build is really to get people playing the game and giving us feedback. So, some stuff from the original game has been stripped to focus on the gameplay.

Change Log:
TUTORIAL
New font
More visual cues when interacting with neurons
Not based on time but number of moves

Okay, now where we would like you guys to help. :)
Please play the new build and give us feedback mainly focusing on

1. Tutorial - Did you get it? Did it flow correctly? Should we add more steps?
2. Level Difficulty - Does it gradually get harder? Did you have enough moves?

but any other feedback is also welcome.

To unlock a new brain you just need to play through the previous brain. Win or Lose, you get to attack the next brain.

P.S. Every play through of a level is slightly different as there is a degree of variation. :P

THANKS! :)
Web Build
PC Build
Android .apk*
*untested, so please test it

screenieAL.png
1129 x 640 - 283K

Comments

• Yay. :P Finally.
    Thanked by 1DraughtVader
  • Firstly. I absolutely hate that font :) Like I need to focus to read. I mean the 't' is the same size as the 'o'.
    I just find it hard to read.

I must admit that I don't get the game, but I played up to level 6 by just dragging in a direction.
    But it doesn't work anymore :P
  • @dreampunchboy will have a look at other fonts, thanks for the analysis!
    Ah man! Bummer that you don't get it, because you might be able to wing the first couple, as you said, but understanding what's what is pretty crucial :P
    We have been working on the tutorial because many people have your problem.
  • Ok so I played it again. I now see the issue in the tutorial.
    Your comments + pointers to things in world(Score & neurons) are all the same.

I would say create a speech bubble type layer when you communicate cause everything is blended
    and my eyes just want to stray.

Gameplay needs more in my opinion. It lacks fun (for me). Not sure what exactly would make it better.
    Just my 2c. Good luck!
  • @DraughtVader - Just had a quick game this morning, when you fail a game it still goes on to the next level, or should I say it unlocks the next level on the track.
  • @powercat haha yeah, I know. Mentioned it above. Just in case someone couldn't manage a level, you still had a chance to play them all :) your thoughts on the game?
    @dreampunchboy I appreciate the second play, and I hear what you're saying, makes sense. With regards to the actual puzzle mechanic and gameplay, we have a couple of other variations in the pipeline. But we are generally happy with it though. We like the simplicity and mathematical freshness of it.
  • edited
    Here is a massively multiplayer co-op/collective effort mode concept we have been working on since yesterday. A way to get people to compete with each other as well as work together as a community. Example iOS vs Android users.
    worldDomination.png
    1536 x 858 - 225K
  • Added trailer of sorts, my first dabble in video editing and a PC build to the original post
  • Hi @DraughtVader
    I gave the game a shot as well and I liked the mechanics! At the moment it still seems like some sort of maths-teaching game and I agree with @dreampunchboy on the gameplay factor...Unless you want this game to be purely educational maybe introduce some sort of twist in the game. Maybe a different kind of neuron that has a certain ability? An area on the field that cannot be connected through? Would make things more interesting...
    Also, are the sounds ingame final? Ill be more than glad to help out a bit..

Thanked by 1DraughtVader
  • edited
    @mexicanopiumdog thanks for the play!
    No, we're definitely not aiming for an educational game. We have some ideas for different kinds of neurons (swapping, changing, restricted etc) so we will look into implementing those and other twists to make things more interesting as you said. It's just that we've been caught up on the tutorial for so long because people just didn't get it! So it is very refreshing to see you LIKED the mechanic :D

Regarding the sounds, they were made for a game jam, by @Tim_Harbour. Before we knew exactly where we wanted to go with them game. So I will definitely not say no to any help :D We are but two humble programmers