Nation -- Very early Movement Mechanics Prototype -- Feedback wanted

edited in Projects
Hi,
I'm busy creating prototypes for core mechanics for a game I'm creating. This prototype is designed to explore movement. The initial concept of my game is very exploration driven, and hence this movement needs to be fun, exhilarating and not hugely frustrating in the long term.

Would you kindly try it. It is a jar file and JRE 7 is required to launch it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9XVEYawfDp5N09jNHRJNUQ5VWM/edit?usp=sharing

The controls are:
W - Apply thrust
A & D - Apply torque
Enter - Restart

Criticism is very much needed.

P.S. Here is a bonus screenshot of the prototype, in case you're on the fence about whether it is worth the effort to test it:

Thank you

Edit: Fixed screen resolution dependance issues
screenshot1.jpg
1024 x 576 - 153K

Comments

• I got the follow exception trying to run your game
    Exception in thread "LWJGL Application" com.badlogic.gdx.utils.GdxRuntimeException: Couldn't set display mode 1920x1080, fullscreen: true

My screen only goes up to 1600x900. You might want to recreate your game for a size more likely to work for anyone, like 1366x768 for 16:9 resolution
  • Sorry about that @Fengol. I hard coded the resolution when I was getting the project started in desktop mode, and forgot to remove it, as I was testing on android. I've uploaded a fixed version (see edit). https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9XVEYawfDp5N09jNHRJNUQ5VWM/edit?usp=sharing
  • I've made a preview video of your prototype

Firstly, the game is very dark which I don't think it needs to be. The maze is already large enough so I can't see the end and you can use "day for night" effects to simulate it being undergound or in space (I can't tell the theme from the game).

Otherwise, the thrust feels incredibly weak compared to the turning thrust and I think needs to be improved. It got to the point where my thrust was basically ineffectual and I was turning just so I could bounce my way around successfully.
  • I think the darkness is quite cool actually, what I didn't like was the darkness wasn't all that scary, I could bump any which way and find my way around, where I'd would have preferred having to first scout with the light and find a direction to fly safely.
    Maybe the walls could be littered with hazardous pustular explosion wart things Maybe try giving the player control over the two lights? That way they have more control over the line of sight thing.
    or maybe some resource management balancing the distance your lights shine, the amount of lights powered on and the energy required for movement.
  • Looking good. I agree about the thrust, it's too weak. On the other hand I feel there needs to be some sort of motivation to explore the nothingness. For now I kind of just wanted navigate around the edges because it's the only thing that's there.

How about adding in some sound or blinking lights that will make you want to go towards the open fields, if that makes sense. Or a feature where you can momentarily lights up a bigger visual radius around you, sort of like a flash of light that temporarily shows more of the map but only for a fraction of a second.
  • Thanks guys for the feedback, I'll amp it up. This is just a test to try to get the movement feeling correct. The concept is inspired by the fantastic voyage, and is set inside the human body, so I'm planning on creating a microscopic ecosystem in game. Do you think a damage system would be too frustrating?
  • @JediN1nja. Perhaps a flare?
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Thanks guys for the feedback, I'll amp it up. This is just a test to try to get the movement feeling correct. The concept is inspired by the fantastic voyage, and is set inside the human body, so I'm planning on creating a microscopic ecosystem in game. Do you think a damage system would be too frustrating?
    In that case you've got a lot more options. You can have viruses that attach onto your ship. Or you can have things like heart valves that will suck you in which means you will have to stay away from some "walls".
    @JediN1nja. Perhaps a flare?
    What about a chemical your ship releases/injects that make the surface around you glow, or make the tiny blood vessels light up like these (Veins)

Maybe they can help guide you to hidden objects? As you try cure a disease?

I don't know I'm really just spit balling here. Hope it helps!
  • Those are some interesting ideas. That could very well fit in with the narrative. I like the idea of the valves, and viruses are something I am planning on implementing, sort of like those creepy matrix robots.
  • If you get viruses attaching to the ship they can apply a force in the direction they're attached, causing the player to spin and move so he has to fight the controls.
    Thanked by 2JediN1nja SUGBOERIE
  • The game concept you've got here sounds interesting. Keen to see how you flesh it out. In terms of the control system, like others mentioned above I agree that the torque thrust should be stronger.