[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 30th July 2014

edited in Events
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 30th July

Where: City Varsity new campus, 18 Roeland Street, Cape Town. Look and ask for their Cinema, that's our venue this month!

Take note, there will be no free, provided food at this venue!

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda:
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)
- Moosebox Screening + AnimationSA chat - Mike Scott ~10 mins
- Auto Rig, Quick and easy rigging for Maya to Unity pipeline - @Lens ~10 mins
- 'Why the internet is wrong series': Dictating your likeness rights - @LexAquillia ~20 mins

- Focused Feeback (10 min slots) x2
- Clockwork Acorn mysterious prototype 1
- Clockwork Acorn myserious prototype 2

- Open Demo Floor

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

Indicate your attendance on the [url = https://www.facebook.com/events/1582255292001337/]Facebook event[/url] and Meetup page!
Thanked by 2dammit EvanGreenwood

Comments

• The Facebook link is for May's event, instead of July's.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Hey all! The meetup has a venue now, yay!

Also, where's the content? D: Isn't it about time we had a Desktop Dungeons post-mortem (I know you're working towards a mobile version, but talking about the main, PC experience would be cool too).

Also, Mike Scott, a local animator who attends the Cape Town meetups is keen to show his 2 minute pilot that was commissioned by Nickelodeon. It would be an advance screening before it goes public and he's also keen to chat a little about AnimationSA and how MGSA and them can colloborate on projects. For those who don't know him, he's the man behind the epic pixel art music videos that Goldfish has:

• BTW, I gave a short talk at the last Animation Exchange where I invited everyone to the monthly meetups and mentioned collab stuff. Mike's work is awesome, glad to see he'll be coming. Hopefully I managed to get a few other people interested too :)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Isn't it about time we had a Desktop Dungeons post-mortem (I know you're working towards a mobile version, but talking about the main, PC experience would be cool too).
    Uh... I dunno. Shit still feels really close and enormously overwhelming. What would people want to know about the game?
  • Really cool video...I would love to hear what Mike has to say!
  • Again, I want to point out that having less talking isn't a bad thing. We have more time for people to play test each other's creations - which I think we all agree is invaluable.
  • So, I will be bringing in a prototype that needs testing (and a non-windy spot with a table ;) )
  • So with famous people and dictators suing Game Devs over inclusion in their games I'm thinking it might be a good time to do a talk on fair use and rights of appearance (or in non-legal terms, when can I use a character that looks like, or is a real life person). People keen?
  • edited
    Only if you include lots of slides of Free Lives nervously hoping the entirety of hollywood world doesn't sue them. ;)
    Thanked by 1LexAquillia
  • Heya!
    I'd really like to show off my Auto Rig, Quick and easy rigging for Maya to Unity pipeline.
    Can I have a slot?

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/slap-on-auto-rigging-for-body-and-face
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • @dammit I agree, but it depends on the value proposition. In Joburg, I have seen a strong correlation between the quantity and quality of content and the attendance. I can imagine it might be different in Cape Town though, as the makeup of people attending is quite different and are interested in different things.

@dislekcia There's no pressure, we have quite a bit of content this month now, but I think it would be interesting to hear about at some point (maybe for A MAZE?).

@LexAquillia Cool! Another addition to the 'Why the Internet is wrong Series' :P.

@Lens Hmm, how long a slot would you like? We like to restrict our talks to 2 or so, but if both your and Mike Scott's talks are short it could be fine :).

Thanked by 1dammit
  • It would be rad if Clockwork Acorn could have a focused feedback slot to show off a prototype (TBD) we've been working on. If there is time, and you don't think you'll be sick of us, we might be able to make use of another slot too. The second slot will depend on whether we can implement some changes that would make it worthwhile showing a prototype we've already gotten feedback on.
  • There are games that we would like to test for Super Friendship Arcade (Two Headed Snake - coop snake game - and Kick in the Door - 3 player, 1-button-each dungeon ghost battle game).

Made them at the SFA jam and will be showing those (for feedback and lulz) so will be set up during the open session afterwards ^_^
  • I will try get a build of Pat Cat Pat complete in time for Wednesday, especially for those who don't make it to the Arcade :P I'll find some way to shove it in people's faces after the main talks.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • @Bensonance All I need is ten maybe fifteen minutes. That cool?
  • @Lens - a 10 minute slot shall be yours! :)

• Awesome meetup everyone! Thanks for all the great feedback on Unseen and Caelum, we really appreciate it.

Hope to see all of you again at the Super Friendship Arcade on Friday, looking forward to it :)
  • Hi guys. Thanks so much for letting me screen ma little pilot. Wonder if you may please help me - we left soon after for a bite, there was someone sitting in a middle-ish row who I think does pixel art, and I didn't make the connection after the meetup. Anyone able to perhaps please help out with putting us in touch? Thanks.
  • Really sad I missed this meetup. I was especially looking forward to seeing Moose Box.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky Your face was there :)
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • @Denzil YOUR face was th- Oh. Right... Yes. On both counts.
  • Is Nick's talk online anywhere? I'd really like to know more about "fair use and rights of appearance"
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky: we all know you just want to see how your likeness was used ;P
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    @Blackships Prezi is here: PREZI

A vid that my law firm made me make (on same topic, basically a summary of my talk) is here, apologies for poor sounds: VIDEO

• @francoisvn: And whether or not the usage was fair!
  • edited
    @BlackShipsFilltheSky: we all know you just want to see how your likeness was used ;P
    Yes Yes! From second hand accounts, I gather that it was used both in excellent taste, and surprisingly liberally.

(But I also wanted to know about the laws the govern the distribution and display of my face)
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky Why? Do you want to sue Lex? I knew it! He claimed that you gave permission, but as noted in his presentation, it needs to be WRITTEN :D