What happened to Durban?

edited in Events
Hey Guys,

So I recently moved to Durban, and I'm keen to start the monthly meetup discussion again. Was a Derivco-based monthly meeting ever set up? Last time, there was some movement in that direction?

Comments

• Derivco eats everyone that looks like they want to make games, I think ;)
  • "What happened to Durban?"

Tidal wave wiped it off the map. Most unfortunate. Glad we weren't down there.

Joking aside. As a matter of interest, what is Derivco - besides a rather less-than-encouraging name? I presume they are the biggest/only software gorilla in Durban?
  • @DarkCarnivour Last I heard Derivco was the biggest, most well paying, most jetskiing, game development studio in South Africa.

But they make gambling games primarily. And they're quite secretive, very secretive by MakeGames standards.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky has them dead to rights with his description, though I can't vouch for the jetskiing bit. Gambling games is all they do, as far as I know. The company's also riddled with NDAs and whatnot.

On a side note, I wouldn't mind a monthly Durban meetup.
  • edited
    I would attend any monthly meetup that was not hosted at Derivco - I have my reasons ... primarily the meetups should not be affiliated to any one organisation (besides Make Games SA) and should not become a Soap Box for said entity.

Dervico have their "Code Evenings" or whatever and therefore a Make Games SA meetup should be independent.

I might be able to organise a venue (depending on size) that can be used in Springfield with secure parking ... but if anyone else could organise a venue then we could go that route instead.

Just my 5c.
  • The Jhb and CT evenings are held at Microsoft, and Microsoft offers free food and drinks, as well as internet, projectors... we're very grateful to them for that. I don't think it changes the meetups being independent.
  • Yep, we hardly ever hear from Microsoft. We're super grateful (why is it grateful not greatful? The former... Grates on my nerves) to them for the assist, and while we get asked about win8 and win mobile games development, we're really generally left to do our own thing. 95% of the time. It's great :)
  • CT meetups are no longer held at Microsoft BTW ;)

P.S. @Tuism: root word = gratitude, not greatitude. Reason acceptable?
  • It's fair enough, but a big company can offer a lot in terms of resources. Full disclosure, I'm working there.
  • I think @garethf was heading up organising these Durban meets. They met once at a restaurant or something, I think - don't think they have set up anything consistent yet, which is a shame.

I think Derivco is certainly an option with a lot of strengths, but as people have said above, MGSA would need to remain independent of their control and direction. If we could organise a room on their code evenings that is specifically for MGSA and the curation of content still falls down to us, then that would be great. This is essentially what Micrsoft does for MGSA (in Joburg mainly now): we have a room and free reign of it. Microsoft gets to say, "Look at this awesome thing we're helping grow" and we get to remain independent.

Quite a few Durban game makers seem to have been burned by Derivco, though - which makes me concerned. Most people who I have spoken to that worked there seemed very squirmish about it. I don't know the specifics, but I suppose making gambling games comes with that sort of shady territory :).

@pypmannetjies If you could try talking to someone about organising a space, that would be awesome :). I think having a place to meet monthly is better than having none at all. :)

• @dislekcia? OOhhh? Not at Microsoft? Where is it now then? :O For how long has it changed?

And yes acceptable :P
  • It's fair enough, but a big company can offer a lot in terms of resources. Full disclosure, I'm working there.
    Hey, I'm just curious about what you mean by "resources". Are those lifestyle resources (like jetski mounted jacuzzis), because I hear there are some sweet perks to working at Derivco.

Or do you mean resources to support other goals. Like working on side projects or something? Or developing skills outside of gambling game development?

Or are resources here money (as in a good salary) ?

• Tuism said:
    @dislekcia? OOhhh? Not at Microsoft? Where is it now then? :O For how long has it changed?

And yes acceptable :P
    We're at City Varsity now. Wednesday will be the second time we're there :)
  • I mean resources such as spaces to meet in, equipment to show presentations, wifi for dev days, etc... I will try and find someone who would know about hosting an area for meetings.

Yes, the company has a lot of cool perks in a sort of Googlish way for their employees. Anyone interested in applying can send me their CVs :)
  • Yes, the company has a lot of cool perks in a sort of Googlish way for their employees.
    Seriously, I'd also like to know what 'resources' are.
    Are they the jetski mounted jacuzzis (only velvet covered ones count!) kind or are they something that can help developers grow. Or are they resources like employment?
    Next time a student asks me what studios they could possibly hope to get employment at, I might have a better answer.
  • @DarkCarnivour: Y'know... Resources. Wink wink, nudge. Reeeeeeeeeeesources. Usable perks. Exploitable trinkets. Nudge, wink, nudge. Eh, eh?

Resources. Say no more.
  • I think @garethf was heading up organising these Durban meets. They met once at a restaurant or something, I think - don't think they have set up anything consistent yet, which is a shame.
    Yeah, this is my bad, sorry. I agreed to head up Durban at about the worst possible time. I've basically been crunching my ass off for the last few months, trying to get SC out the door.

I've got no energy left for anything else right now. Sorry, I suck, I know.

So, 2 options. If anyone else wants to get anything going, great! Run with it! Otherwise, I'm still aiming to get SC dusted next month, I should have some time to organize after that.

Side note - Derivco's pretty cool. I worked there for nigh on 5 years. It's a big company with lots of resources, so besides the lifestyle perks and good salary, there's opportunity to be exposed to a lot of great/new tech and experts you can learn a lot from. I did. Quite a few of the smartest guys I know (in Durban) still work there.

Lots of the skills you can learn are not gambling specific. Like, if you go to work in a big bank, you're most likely gaining database knowledge, not really "banking knowledge", so much. There'll be some domain-specific stuff in every job, but a lot of it is applicable generally. And if you're in the game dev department(s), you'll learn to make and finish games (production, not design.), go through the production pipeline. Blackjack is a game, slots are a game. You'll get a lot of practice making and finishing professional quality games, if you work in the right departments.

The down side of Derivco (for me) was that I couldn't work in their game dev department and legally make and sell my own games. They're protective of IP and all that entails, understandably so (there have been incidents). But it meant I had to choose between the job and my dreams. Not that hard a choice, at the end of the day.

I'd still recommend Derivco. It's a good place to work, better than most. :)
  • /lurker

I attended the last dev days at IT Varsity in town. They are a friendly bunch and seem willing
    to host events at no cost. Perhaps approach them if you guys need a venue
  • A quick update, I spoke to some people at Derivco and they sound keen to host such an event. I am meeting again with them next week to check out what we can do.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Super-keen for another Durban meet! Has there been any news about hosting at Derivco?

In the interim, why don't we meet somewhere for pizza and a chat again?
  • Is there anyone who would like to get involved in "running" the meetings here in Durban along with me? Also, who is "in charge" in Joburg?
  • Sure, I'll be happy to get involved.
  • Lol, no one is in charge really. :P I run the Joburg Meetips though, how can I help? :)
  • Sent you an email :)
  • I'm sure that a game dev themed evening can be organized at Derivco, there's plenty of interest. I'm a little surprised that Microsoft SA isn't a bit more active in the game dev scene though, maybe they just need a little prod. They have an office with training facilities in Umhlanga (last time I looked).
  • Derivco is interested in hosting us, so I would hesitate in approaching Microsoft as well at this point. However, if they have indicated something like that, we can always chat to them as a group?