Pixel-art time-killer Alien Box

edited in Projects
Hi there!
I want to represent you pretty indie game for android devices, developed on Unity Engine. It's absolutely free and you can download it from Google Play. What can you say about it, given that this is the first experience?
Thanked by 1DraughtVader

Comments

• Will give it a download when I get home today, from the Google Play page it looks pretty awesome :D
  • Hopefully, the game will not disappoint you:) I recently added a global rating of players there and achievements. Pay attention to it:)
  • @massimo_indie Welcome to MakegamesSA.com
    Played your game very interesting concept, here are my thoughts:

- The hit area for the falling boxes are a little to small, I'll have to hit it a few times before I get it.
    - Every time the game ends, it tries to connect to my Google+ account automatically. Not sure if you trying to post every time the user plays, but shouldn't you give the user the choice of submitting his achievements.
    - The Retry button doesn't work, but if I hit the green V thing it starts again.
    - Maybe if the boxes are a little easier to hit, then you can start to go faster and faster as the game progresses.
    Thanked by 1massimo_indie
  • edited
    @PowerCat, thank you for detailed review!
    - Hit area for the box match exactly with its sizes, may be need little more training:)
    - Game connects to Google Play Services, that requires G+ account. Every time it try to save result to global leaderboard. But I'm not sure that leaderboard interface showes every time after finishing the game. I'll check it.
    - Retry is not the button. It's by design:)
    - I'll think about hit area of the box. Some players say the opposite, that the game is so easy:D
  • Gave the game a try on my phone (I assume it's meant to be played on a phone, but I imagine it would play very differently on a phone and tablet).

When it first started I didn't know what to do. I might have missed something here, but perhaps including a "Stop the incoming aliens" message just after the "Tap to Start" message might work well.

I have to agree with @PowerCat: the hitboxes are too small. It doesn't really matter if they are the "correct" size, it is too hard to hit them on my phone and it was frustrating. I would suggest you consider either make the hitboxes bigger, or make your click have an AOE. The latter option sounds cooler to me.

Also, the retry "button" clearly looks like a button, so it was also confusing to me that clicking it didn't work. I would make retry an actual button, and replace the marks below with a quit button.

I like the variety the powerups add, but I don't really like the score multiplier powerup - it feel like a weird powerup cause you use it to increase your score, not progress further. Perhaps more powerups, or making them slowly recharge would work well.

Does anything change as you progress? The variety provided by the powerups is nice, but I think it'll get a bit "samey" after a while. Maybe some crates that move horizontally, or larger cluster crates that explode into multiple smaller crates could be interesting.

Otherwise, I found the game to be very smooth and run well :)
  • edited
    @francoisvn, thanks, your review is probably the best of all that I have received!

I thought about phrase "Stop the incoming aliens" before the starting the game, but somehow didn't do it. I'll write it in the plans.

Also I and my friend thought about third powerup, but didn't think up anything better than score multiplier... You right, it's weird a little bit.

Cluster crates..mm..maybe:) I like it. But crates that move horizontally..it's not very clear for me. How do you imagine this?)

Can I ask you? When did you download the game? I increase hit area last night...may be insufficient, or you get it before midnight:)
  • But crates that move horizontally..it's not very clear for me. How do you imagine this?
    I meant crates that move both vertically and horizontally, perhaps in some sort of pattern, like a zig-zag.

• I meant crates that move both vertically and horizontally, perhaps in some sort of pattern, like a zig-zag.
    Oh, alien technolgies? :D
    Can you answer the last question from my previous message, please?

• Oh sorry, I didn't see that edit. I was playing an older version so I updated quickly and tried it again.

The hitbox size increase is much better. An AOE click might still be interesting, but it was much less frustrating for the bit I played :)
  • Hi everybody!
    Some news:
    New version of the game ready for evaluation :)
    I added double, triple, quadruple, quinary and more dangerous boxes there.
  • @massimo_indie I have two questions for you:

- Are you receiving any cash for the banner in your game?
    - If so, how are you getting the money?

I want to publish my game soon :P