[Event] Open Design Festival 2014 - Cape Town: 13th - 23rd August

edited in Events
Hi All,

We've been invited to have a stall at the Open Design Festival in Cape Town. The notice is really short so I do apologise (only got the full details yesterday). We've basically been given a room in the City Hall to do with what we want. I've accepted the offer (we've got it for free!) now we need to do something :/

So:
  • Festival runs from the 13th to the 23rd of August. We will need someone to man the room. I've made myself available to do that for now, but company/support would be appreciated. If you'd like to volunteer to be there please respond with when you can help
  • If you want your game to be there let me know. We need to supply our own hardware (PC's, Consoles, Screens etc) but there is tight security at the venue 24hours. I'd advise against mobile games though, cell phones and tablets are just to easy to pocket.
  • Superfriendship Arcade people, wanna showcase the games at festival? We got the space you would have done the arcade in the previous week, lets get it to a bigger audience?
  • We have access to the building 24hours, so we could possibly do a Game Jam on one of the weekends, are people keen?

*****Edit

Ok If you are keen to come and help, please sign up to this roster here: Roster

We desperately need equipment and games to show off, do we have any takers?

Nick
Thanked by 1Tuism

Comments

• edited
    Gamejam in city hall, I'm keen! I also volunteer to help if needed, I could probably only commit to about two days but I am flexible otherwise.
  • Rad, I'd be keen to help at least part of one of the weekend days.

Can we get some printed promotional items, like flyers for MGSA, Amaze, and Super Friendship Arcade?

Can we show boardgames?
  • Like MMM? ;) What *is* going on there? :/
  • @Tuism I'm hoping to have a finished version soon. Jamming new prototype this weekend :)
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @Dammit we can literally do what we want ;)
    Thanked by 2dammit Tuism
  • If an extra hand is needed, I can assist too
  • edited
    Clockwork Acorn is keen on helping/taking part in some way. Is the plan to discuss this more at the meetup next week?

Also, Ludum Dare 30 is 22 - 25 August, so we could maybe incorporate some jamming from that.
  • I'll tentatively put myself down for being helpful at some time for some time, as I'll be in proximity. Just gotta confer with people. :D
  • I'd like to help but can't confirm 100% yet.
  • edited top post:

We need hardware and games to show off :O
  • Open design starts next week. Currently we have no equipment and I'm the only one confirmed to actually be there. The Jam can still happen but at this rate we will need to pull out of the festival, unless somebody pulls a hail Mary
  • I can probably help for some or all of Monday 18 August to Wednesday 20 August. Thursday and part of Friday are also an option, but much less certain. Not sure how to best fill that in on the roster, hence this post.

Unfortunately I can't bring much more than my own laptop, so I don't know how much help that is.
  • I can offer a spare screen (1920x1080 - 27 inch), but don't have any actual spare computers to show on :/
  • Ok I've managed to *hopefully* source 10 macbooks. What we need now are screens and peripherals (keyboards, mice, controllers etc). Also I really need someone to be able to man the stall on the Thursday the 14th as I have a meeting I can't get out of. Also games!
  • @Francoisvn I've put you down for all of Monday 18th and Wednesday 20th :P
    @Raxter I'll take your screen :D
  • @LexAquillia: I'll do Thursday, and possibly other days. Maybe we need a Google doc signup or something?
  • edited
    @LexAquillia: I put myself down for Tuesday too, cause I'm hoping I can bum accommodation off someone for two nights and save petrol :) Tomorrow I will check if it's ok being away from the office for 3 days, but hopefully it's not a problem.

EDIT: @Squidcor: there is a link to google doc in the first post :)
  • Unfortunately I have to take my name off the roster. I was a bit too eager to volunteer myself, sorry I can't follow through. I'd love to commit to helping, but driving in from Stellenbosch is time consuming and a bit expensive; and we have some contract work I need to prioritise so we have cash to continue making games.

It seems like some more people have since signed themselves up and hopefully it'll be easy to rope more people in from the jam :)

There is still a relatively good chance me and the others from Clockwork Acorn might come through for a full day early next week, but we'll see how our work goes, and pick a day when the help will be most needed.

Really sorry about having to withdraw at this stage. I hope the festival goes really well
  • Related: Formula D are having an open studio day on Wednesday. They're an installation-based design company that work with science museums and whatnot to create gamey educational experiences with interesting technology.

http://www.formula-d.com

https://www.facebook.com/FormulaDinteractive

RSVP if you're interested.
  • The Red & Yellow Students should be coming in their general hipster hoards throughout the week. Hopefully you guys can tempt them into the game design arena :)
  • Turns out I'm going to be in CT tomorrow evening, so I'll be coming through and helping tomorrow afternoon.