Make Games Indoor Soccer Team

edited in General
So who wants to join an indoor soccer team? Cape Town based (games happen in Claremont). If you are keen reply to this thread. What you need to know:
Max Team of 8 players for a game (though we can have more in "reserve"). Games cost R245 (so R30 a person). Game to be played on either Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, though we can exclude days that we can't play on (Thursday for me).

League starts end of September.

Who is in?

Comments

• Are there any skills requirements?
    Thanked by 2Squidcor Bensonance
  • edited
    @BlackShipsFilltheSky Not at all.

@LexAquillia You know this already, but I'm very much in.

Also, \o/
  • edited
    Me and @Bevis are in if you'll take us.

I bring no skills with me. And very little potential.

@Bevis brings his almighty nicotine addiction. But he also once played some soccer.
  • My greatest football achievement is having once reluctantly scored 10-0 against Man U. I think it was Fifa '11. Or some such.

It's a shame I'm not in CT. Or I'd... Be able to entertain you for hours with my non-skills :P
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • I'd be keen. What sort of shoe requirements are there for the surface? Regular (non-looped) astroturf? Do people wear shinguards for indoor soccer?
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • Is it necessary to have watched soccer on TV? It might take me a while to learn the jargon.
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • Im tots in, but lemme see what skill level you guys are at..I know from experience that the League is flippin hard..if you aren't super fit and skilled...I suggest just jamming a few socials before deciding to do big sign ups..
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • dislekcia said:
    I'd be keen. What sort of shoe requirements are there for the surface?
    Depends on what exactly the surface is. If it's astro, then studs are usually prohibited and any flat shoe is fine. Although something tighter than skate shoes will be more useful ;)

If it's artificial grass (the stuff with the rubber pellets), then an actual boot with either FG or AG studs is preferable. Again, regular flat shoes are also fine.
    dislekcia said:
    Do people wear shinguards for indoor soccer?
    Not really. Not necessary.
    Is it necessary to have watched soccer on TV? It might take me a while to learn the jargon.
    Definitely. Otherwise you'll mix up your trequartistas and your catenaccios, how embarrassing...
  • edited
    Squidcor said:
    Definitely. Otherwise you'll mix up your trequartistas and your catenaccios, how embarrassing...
    I'll have to catch up before I enter the soccer pitch...

I think I might be in a little over my head...
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • edited
    Usually the only thing you need to start indoor soccer is attire you're comfortable running around in. Upgrades/unlocks can come later. Also the only skill you need to start out with is "kick foot at ball". Hitting the ball and having it go in the direction you want comes later in the skill tree. Also, you will die of unfitness the first few times you play. That's okay, so will everyone else.

I may be keen. But critical question, what time are the games (getting to Claremont at six is a challenge) and are we signing up for league? If it's going to have to be a weekly commitment for several months I'll have to think carefully about it ;)
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • Squidcor said:

I thought those might just be made up words but google does not lie :o
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • @Blackships we have no minimum skill level (I'm that good a goalie ;))
    @Dislekcia normal cross trainers/tackies/shoes
    @Mexicanopiumdog I've played the league before, yes they are good, but we will be in the bottom league with other social sides.
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • @Thefuntastic Game times range from 6:30pm (first) to 9:30pm (last) it all depends, but once you've got a time they tend to be consistent with it it. The idea is to join the league (which runs for three months).
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • I'm interested in joining, but the travelling in every week would be prohibitive. If I can be a reserve that only plays once a month or so, I can afford to drive in. I have some experience as a goalie.
    Thanked by 2Squidcor Boysano
  • I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

First we need a good team name.

Then a logo.
  • edited
    Aw, man. Hogging all the cool stuff for CT again? I used to play a bit of indoor soccer back in the day, would be super awesome to play again, but without a 1200km commute! Clearly I have extra motivation to pay the Mountain a visit sooner rather than later, even if just to spectate!
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • What/where is the venue?
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • You can count me in good sir!

To those worrying about fitness levels, it's really not a problem - with a full compliment of 8 players you can be on the field (it's a small netted playing area) for as little time as you want, able to quickly swap out with another player as soon as you feel tired. Each team has 3 players and a goalie on field at any one time (unless someone's been carded).

Like Lex says we'd also be starting right at the bottom so we won't be up against the hardcore players.

Overall it's good fun, great exercise and doesn't take too much time out of your evening as total game time is 35 minutes.

@MCA - the venue is at the top of Stadium on Main (driving up to the top of the parking garage)
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • edited
    I'd love to take part in this....

I really think we need to move the Clockwork Acorn offices to Cape Town. Stellenbosch has the wine advantage, but there's just to much cool stuff happening over there.

So yeah, I'm with @francoisvn, call me if you need a rather slow/uncoordinated reserve.
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • Gibbo said:
    @MCA - the venue is at the top of Stadium on Main (driving up to the top of the parking garage)
    Awesome. I'll be there to spectate. Obviously we now need Make Soccer South Africa t-shirts.

• I was pretty sure that we'd call the team GLHF ;)

(Or Crit Fail)
  • Oh and Tuesday or Friday sounds good
  • Are we going to meet up before the league starts for some get-to-know-each-other soccer? Just to see who plays where and if we need to raise our fitness levels before league kick-off etc...
  • This sounds interesting. Is there space for one more? Haven't really played this before but I'm bad at all kinds of games. :P
  • @Rigormortis: There is space for all who are interested! - It's a maximum of 8 players to form a team for a single game but we would definitely need more people than that in reserve, since it's always the case that in some weeks there will be people who have to miss a game for one reason or another, and being able to call on reserves (sometimes at short notice) means we'll never have to face a scenario of being under-staffed for a game.

@Mexicanopiumdog: Not a bad idea for closer to the time and would help gives folks an idea of what to expect.
  • Cool! I'm up for kicking a ball about a roof top in Claremont :-)
  • So let us make a plan? Next week Tuesday?
  • Damn. I'll be at Amaze on Tuesday.
  • space for one more? (but also can only make it after AMAZE)
  • Alright folks, looks like we've got the necessary interest for this so I'll be facilitating the team roster on Lex's behalf, if you can please send me a private note with your name, contact number (we'll facilitate matches via the forum but good to have just in case), and what days suit you (pretty much Tuesday or Friday).

The season only starts end of this month and at least half the team will be at Amaze next week, so we'll rather look at having a practise session after that. We could do rent out one of the soccer courts to practise in but that'll cost moneez, so alternatively we can look at just gathering at a convenient field over a weekend. Once I've confirmed our team roster we'll work out a practise day that suits peeps.

TL:DR - Note me your details to get on the team roster ;)
    Thanked by 1LexAquillia
  • Thanks to those who've signed up to the roster so far, now the next steps would be to sort out a practise date! The first week of the tournament is apparently from the 29th Sept, so who would be keen to have a practise session on Sunday the 28th or 21st?

If we try to do an evening during the week we'd need to rent one of the Action Soccer pitches which can be quite expensive, so the recommendation is to rather just meet up at a convenient field on a Sunday morning, like the Keurboom Park fields

The practise should only be roughly an hour or two, to explain how the indoor soccer setup works and get a bit of training in to prepare you for the start of the season.
  • The words "practice" and "training" make this sound a bit more serious than it is :P

That said, I'm always keen for a kickabout. I often play pickup matches on Sundays anyway.
    Thanked by 1Gibbo
  • Hey guys, we should start thinking of arranging our first jam sometime...
  • edited
    Okay we're going with next Sunday for a soccer meet-up. Like Squidcor says it won't be anything hectic just a chance for the team to meet, get the low-down on how it works and kick a ball around for a bit.

We also quite urgently need some ideas for a team name so Lex and I can sign the team up for the tournament.

Practise date: Sunday 21st

Time: 09h00

Venue: Keurboom Park fields - let's meet in the parking lot at the top of Fairfield Road and find a spot from there.

Directions: Get onto Keurboom Road (via Campground rd or Milner rd) and then turn into Fairfield Road, the parking lot is at the top of the road to the right of the tennis courts.

What to bring: Water, and kit that you don't mind sweating in.
  • Team MGSA, MGSA United, The Winners?
  • lol @ The Winners
    How about Make Game of Thrones?

• Thanks for the suggestions @MCA and @Mexicanopiumdog

Along with that we've got "Make Soccer South Africa" courtesy of @dammit and "GLHF" or "Crit Fail" from @dislekcia
  • Just in terms of branding ( :P ) I would suggest having Make Games in the team name.

Make Games & Crit Fail could work.

You could also give yourselves silly names if we ever get Tees. So, Instead of "Day" on the back of Danny's shirt, you could have "Crit Fail" :)
  • It could just be Make Games
  • I like MGSA personally.
  • Yeah, lets keep it simple. It should represent Make Games. Maybe there are some game developing soccer fanatics out there that haven't heard of the community and this is THE chance to raise attention in this field (pun intended :D)
  • So practice tomorrow 9am at Keurboom park at the parking lot (as told by Gibbo above)
  • Sorry for the last minute change guys but we'll get started at 9am rather, so if you do arrive a bit after that you can find us down on the fields, we should be a short walk from that parking lot
  • I know this might be a dumb thing to ask but is someone bringing a ball :3 ?
  • We so lost :( whee were are you guys???
  • @Mexicanopiumdog where did you end up? We were in the field right next to the parking lot I'd linked to
  • We ran around the whole park...didn't find you okes ...siiiiiiigh
  • Sounds like you were at the park itself rather than the fields. Sorry dude