Oculus rift game development

edited in General
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to know if any of you are working on Rift titles, and/or any of you need play testers for your games.

I got my DK2 last month and it has been great fun.

Comments

• Hi @Actrox

@Benjets and myself got an opportunity to try develop a game during a quick jam at A MAZE 2014 over this last weekend, and was a pretty incredible experience. We're both artists so for us it was a challenge but we made a pretty awesome test, but unfortunately our DK2 wasn't working so we couldn't play what we made.

However the whole experience was pretty amazing and inspirational and made us realise we're definitely able to start messing with creating VR games and would love to collaborate with programmers or also, someone mentioned there's a possibility of having OR send a unit to dev's, is that how you got one? I've heard it's not possible to buy them yet so I'm super interested in finding out more about this whole process.

Sorry for the long reply... :)
  • Well anyone can buy a development kit. Thats what I did. I don't plan on doing anything other than playing around with it. I just couldn't wait for a consumer version to come out. If you could upload the demo you guys worked on, I would love to try it out. Can you tell us a bit more about the demo you guys made? Was it done in Unity?
  • I just can't save enough for the devkit; there are too many humble bundles and steam sales between saving and reaching my goal.
    Thanked by 1Actrox
  • Ok thanks for the info!
    I don't have it but yeah, it was done in Unity and we created all the graphics and 3d models in Photoshop and Cinema 4d and brought the elements in. @Raxter did the development on the game and unfortunately don't think he got to finish...not 100% sure though, if it is I'll ask him if he could.

@Fengol Me too, however $350 isn't TOO bad...
  • After seeing the reactions on Crescent Bay I'm so excited to try it out. Does anyone have any contacts at Oculus that can arrange a CB prototype set for the makegamessa community?
  • The Crescent bay prototypes will most likelly never be shown again. And they most certainly won't let anyone "have" one for any amount of time, as they are hiding the hardware. They didn't even state the resolution the unit is running at. My guess is that the screen used is to remain a secret.
  • @actrox, yeah after the last few days of watching videos i realized it was their secret project. Too bad really, but at least VR is going to be really amazing and they have made serious strides in the last few months.
  • Was wondering if any developers was interested in buying my DK2 kit?

My Pc is just not capable of keeping up with the requirements, and as I am not developing for it, it makes sense to use that cash to invest in hardware, and later buy the consumer edition.
  • I or someone i know might be interested @Actrox in purchasing it, how much you willing to part with it for?
  • I would also be interested if @iceblademush passes on the offer..
  • @Actrox I would be interested.
  • Please PM your offers and I will reply ASAP. I am on a course this week, so It may be a day or two before I reply.

For all your info. The DK2 dev kit is 100% complete and working order excluding any packaging.
  • Any update on this ?
  • Hi, yes sorry for the delay on a reply. I have been a bit busy.

I have two offers, which frankly are on the low end.

Getting a dk2 into the country currently will cost $350 + $150 postage = R6150.000 + R700 import duty.
    I paid roughtly the same amount when I got mine, say maybe R300 less due to rand - dollar exchange.

I am not suggesting R6000 for a price, but it has to be atleast worth my while, so that it contributes to a decent upgrade to my PC system. If I don't get a offer worth while, I would rather just keep it for when my PC is up to scratch.
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9