New Game, Animation & Design incubator coming to Jozi

edited in General

Comments

• Yeah. This is really, really confusing.

Basically, it seems to be related to the incubator that people have been working on making happen for over a year now (seriously, Aeq and I had a meeting at AMAZE last year with the core people that wanted to start a games incubator in JHB), but when we reached out, it turned out to be sort of it's own thing?

I'm not really sure how to respond to this, TBH. The deadline is crazy, the support mentions a bunch of people that are already involved in building a different incubator, and it's apparently a premature announcement...
    Thanked by 2AngryMoose tbulford
  • @dislekcia The article does make it sound like they're merely thinking about it and will base their decisions on the interest they get.

We've started writing some kind of proposal and hoping for the best. Any thoughts on that?
  • I know they say "Game Development", but everything they say in there feels like they're looking for advertising tech services. I don't feel like they can, or want to, evaluate prototypes to say "that's (those are) a viable game/s, we'll help you".

Also, do these "other services" sound like something anyone here needs?
    Other services will include the provision of production and testing platforms, ideation and market development workshops, hackathons, tech training and thought leadership events in digital media.
    Testing platforms... Is that really worth it?
    Ideation workshops?
    Market development workshops?
    Hackalols?
    Tech training... What, Unity classes? Gamemaker classes? C++ classes? I have not personally met anyone who actually learned any tech effectively from a class and not by own volition.
    Thought leadership events in digital media...

It sounds a bit wanky to me. Unless there's something I'm not seeing? Connections are always good, I guess?
  • @Tuism I thought exactly the same. I just think it doesn't hurt me to try write something up. Maybe the idea gets better.
    One of the strong points I like about it is, if there's a space the participants would work out of then they'd be skills flying around in close vicinity could make for some cool collaborations.
  • @SUGBOERIE: It can't hurt to apply. At the very least, you'll get practice writing applications/pitches/business plans. If you post that stuff here too, you'll at least be guaranteed feedback of some form, even if mLabs don't get back to you ;)

I think what's probably happened is mLabs are looking for mobile projects that they, in turn, are going to pitch to the JCSE incubator as part of that intake when it starts. I'm not super sure what the point of that is (maybe they've got a secondary set of funding for bringing people to the incubator or something) but writing these sorts of applications (and finding out what you need to sound like to impress the people doing the vetting) is definitely a skill that needs practicing.

P.S. I sometimes go to pitching competitions and pitch random ideas I had the day before, just for practice. Best I've done so far was come second on a particular evening with one of those. Maybe one day I'll actually make that business a reality...
  • @Dislekcia Solid advice. I'll also talk to Prof Barry and see what he knows about this.
  • Lil' update on this. I had a brief chat to Prof Barry (Head of JCSE) about the incubator. It's legit. They still working out the finer details but it's going to happen next year.

He also mentioned that,

- After your proposal (expression of interest) there'll still be a more formal pitching session.
    - They looking on getting max 5 teams/companies in there.
    - The hub will be based in some T-Systems building in the city, Ghandi Square.

• I am so confused... Is this the same incubator that people were talking about at AMAZE or a completely different one that's got similar support?
  • I don't know about the one that was mentioned at AMAZE.
  • @dislekcia its the same thing as far as I know.
  • Update: So, we applied and now we having to do a more formal pitch at the Innovation Hub on Friday. I must say they have the worst timing. Only told us today.
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • SUGBOERIE said:
    Update: So, we applied and now we having to do a more formal pitch at the Innovation Hub on Friday. I must say they have the worst timing. Only told us today.
    This is pretty much how the innovation hub seems to work. I was in a company that was part of their first wave years ago...