Steam launches new discovery features!

edited in General
So steam has finally flicked the switch, including the long promised curatorship features. This could be a really important moment. Or perhaps not. Time will tell.

I find a couple of things interesting: first, curatorship is not as front and center as I thought it would be. There also seems to be no mention of rev share for the curators. That was supposed to be the game changer. Well maybe it's still coming/only for the big guys. Secondly it's 2014 and most of these features are painfully obvious (friends recommendation, enhanced filters, personalised recommendations) but it's the first time we're seeing them in a digital storefront/app store. Well except for amazon, but they don't count so much for games.

Also, there could be a significant early mover advantage here. Go claim your storefronts now! You just need a steam community group to be a curator. WHO IS UPDATING MAKES GAMES TO WITH A LIST OF SA GAMES?!?!? GO! GO! GO! (okay it appears you need ten games. Do we have ten games on steam?)

Here is my attempt to create a category I always wished storefronts had and one I hope would be useful in punting Cadence when it comes out:
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6858743/

Though while it's a fun experiment, I have to be honest: my ability to compete with established names who do this full time is probably non existent.

Comments

• I think @LexAquillia is curating a bunch of games made by members using the MGSA Steam Group
  • That is very cool!
  • edited
    Here we go: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/makegamesSA#curation If I'm missing games let me know and I'll add them :)
    Thanked by 2Boysano wogan
  • The curatorship thing is interesting, and we might see a youtube-like ability of weird and wonderful people (cute guys cute girls doing crazy/mad/adorable things) gain traction other than the established big names...

But right now it's just the established big names.

The list of wannabe curators is 1440+ on day one.
  • This is all really exciting news and it came as a bit of surprise to me - I expected at least a week's media build-up.

Is there any mention of giving the curators some revenue? I think a small revenue-sharing scheme could really help take this to the next level.

BTW: a direct link to the MGSA "curator" - http://store.steampowered.com/curator/5025202/
  • Think the harvest qualifies for the MGSA list?
  • Does anyone know or have a opinion about what will happen to greenlight ? Is that still gonna exist or is it going to be faded out. I am not sure if this is what valve were talking about when they talked about opening up steam.
  • edited
    Think the harvest qualifies for the MGSA list?
    The Harvest HD is no longer for sale. MGS removed it a few months ago from both Steam and the Windows Store, likely because it was a crapily done port of a title designed for mobile that itself was a crapily done (other than graphically) reworked version of the original decent WP7 game.
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Might as well punt my little dream category too:

Logic games with an open solution space store found here

With also throw in certain "engineering games", but basically anything that allows a creative construction/solution space I want to add here (also whisper whisper 6x Mass Production would belong here one day) but like @TheFuntastic said with the visibility the big names are getting, this would be a super niche storefront at best).

Besides the ones that are on that page already, anyone know of games like this for me? I'm enamored with these games as you can tell ;)
  • This is a decent new concept, I followed all the groups listed here...don't know why, but I'm rarely on steam actually.
    Guess I prefer making games than playing them these days...
    Thanked by 1wogan
  • Hey all, for those with games on Steam, just remember that these changes won't help increase discoverability for more obscure titles. Nothing's going to replace the need for good old-fashioned marketing and machine-gun ass-kissing. There have been a few blog posts from indies saying very much this.
    Thanked by 1wogan
  • machine-gun ass-kissing
    I'm borrowing this phrase, thanks. :D