Boland Meetup for Stellenbosch and Somerset West - 15th October 2014

edited in Events
So there seem to be a significant number of interested parties in the Stellenbosch and Somerset West areas and a regular, more informal, meetup in the time between the CT meetups was mentioned. I propose the following:

Date: 15 October
Time: 18:30 till late
Venue: The Thirsty Scarecrow (on the R44 between Stellenbosch and SW)
Map:: http://bit.ly/thirstyscarecrow

The idea is just to have a chilled get-together (no talks or anything formal) as an opportunity to hang out with local devs that aren't in the CT area (although everyone is welcome of course). The idea is not to try and split the CT meetup, but rather to augment it with an additional opportunity to mingle. We can see how this goes and adjust accordingly for the future.

I'm looking for the following response: Are you interested? Does the proposed time/date/venue sound good? General thoughts?

Comments

• Great! Was good to meet you at the CT Meetup this week. Yes I'm super keen!
    I'll be back from a wedding in Durban on the 14 th so I should be ready and thirsty.
    I will be away from 10 - 14 Oct.

More time to build friendships can only be a good thing!
  • Hmm, I might be able to join this one! Writing up my thesis though, I'll see how it goes but I'm hopeful!
  • @Boysano: Was great to meet you too :)

@Denzil: It's just down the road ;)

So I had a thought: what if we have an optional discussion topic? The idea is basically just to have a pre-determined talking point: if you feel like it, you can read any background info you feel is necessary, and if you don't have something else you'd like to chat about at the meetup, you can pull this out. No preparation is required, but there's potentially a discussion topic where everyone has already had some time to think about it.

To get things started, I propose the following topic (other suggestion are welcome): "How do you create a sustainable indie game dev startup?" aka "I want to make games and not starve at the same time."
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • I would be keen to join but will need to confirm at a later stage.
  • I'd like to perhaps discuss how to effectively work with others as a team. I mean, I'm not at all new to teamwork, but when it comes to game dev, I struggle with some points. I've lately been working with an artist, and also a guy who showed some interest in programming Grave Days with me. I find it hard to efficiently introduce the other programmer to the code base, and as such struggle to think of a place where he could effectively help out. There's also some miss-communication between Grave Days' artist and myself on some occasions. I think it might just come down to experience (or lack thereof) with working with others in another field. Maybe not specifically worth discussing. But I imagine you guys at CA must've encountered similar issues?
  • Looking forward to it! Don't forget!
  • @Denzil: Sorry for the delay in replying, it's been hectic. You topic idea sounds like a good idea, I'd be happy to chat about that from our perspective.

Like @Boysano said, don't forget about it, only two sleeps now!

I've also edited the OP with a Google Maps link in case anyone needs it.
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • Thanks to everyone that came, I enjoyed myself, and I look forward to doing this again :)

I shall leave this here: a little discussion I found, related to some of the meetup discussion: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/227635/Indie_economics_A_discussion_on_sustainable_business_models.php
  • Hey, I have been meaning to ask around if there is anything closer to home, so to speak (somerset west). As I have been struggling to get out to the usual meetings, due to some other commitments and the time constraints to get out there. Sounds like a good idea to bolster it with a casual session, and meet the local devs.

Hope there is another one lined up :)

W
  • edited
    My current plan is to schedule one once a month, on a Wednesday halfway between the normal CT meetups :)
  • @francoisvn can I ask that you provide @Bensonance with the meetup information as well so that he can post a stick on the forums and on MGSA's various social media?
  • Yes was good to see you and discuss our ideas and current business state.
    Interesting to hear how each one is approaching game dev currently.

@JustPlainInsane will be good to see you there as well next time.
  • @Fengol: righto. Will communicate with @Bensonance a little closer to the time.
  • @Boysano Definitely! I have been missing the usual game dev chat to keep me going; that and a good excuse to chill a bit, and have a beer ;)