[Twine] The Cannon

edited in Projects
In 'The Cannon', the player has to fire at another cannon in hopes of hitting and eventually destroying it.

Here is the link:
http://philome.la/JurgenBotha/the-cannon

Attached is the .tws file
zip
zip
The Cannon.zip
Thanked by 1konman

Comments

• hehe, I like it!

Was it a conscience design decision to make it a story that is told to you or are you planning on giving the player choice in the future?

Also are you looking for any feedback or just like "here's a cool thing I made" (note: I thought it was cool ^_^ )

For me I imagined it as a text based scorched earth :D
  • Hmm, this is an interesting example of how Twine games could be focused on mechanics rather than narrative. Was that a goal in making this?

Some issues: 'canon' and 'cannon' are two different things. I think you meant the latter, which refers to a piece of heavy artillery, rather than 'canon', which is a group of works that are considered authentic or truly representative of a specific field.

The opening screen tells me that the armour values for the player and opponent are 100, but the functional variables that show up while taking turns says that you start with 120 armour?

Do you think you could make the .tws available for this as well? I'd be quite interested in poking around the code you've written. It could make for an interesting base for a more complex combat system. :)
  • edited
    My apologies, the post has been edited and the errors have been addressed.
    @raxter, I'll definitely grant the player choice in the future :) (like can one avoid the battle type thing or different scenario battles etc) and feedback of any kind would be great. It would be cool to do a "Ninja kunai battle" for example, with obstacles etc. Where the player can somehow get to know the opponent if possible and exploit patterns. Thanks.

@brondin, thanks for pointing out the errors. The .tws file is attached as requested ;) I'd like to see what you come up with.

About half an hour ago I tried out the Sugarcube story format. What got me was the save function, allowing for much larger games and not having to play one shot through.
    Here's the download link for anyone interested:
    http://www.motoslave.net/sugarcube/download.php/sugarcube-1.0.4-for-twine-1.4.zip
  • @Jurgen: Oh man, Sugarcube looks great. I'm really looking forward to messing around with it. Thanks for the link, and for providing the .tws :)