HTML 5 games slow in firefox

Hi All,
I am playing with the foundation of a game that I wanted to publish as HTML 5.
I am using gamemaker studio and I published a test:

www.broken-skies.com/dm

It was super slow on Firefox so I increased room speed as a test. You can see that in Chrome and IE 8 it now runs super quick (on account of the room speed being higher, but it is sooo slow in firefox)

has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Comments

• Honestly, as an HTML5 developer our biggest issues are on FF. I cant speak for using GM as we do everything natively, but FF has become increasingly more difficult to work with of late.
  • Thanks CiNiMod, That answers my question. FF is a nightmare with HTML5. My face is sad.
  • It be that there is a problem with FF webgl, which works well in chrome. They usually recommend developing with webGL off in GMS to ensure your performance is good, until you publish...

Also could be how you use sounds, etc. which is complicated between different browsers and mobile versus desktop with HTML5...

Hmm just saw you did post a demo and I tried it, didn't know how to move but this is my feedback:
    Particles and HTML5 you must use sparingly...
    Using alpha blending does not go well with HTML5, especially when combined with particles....sad yes.
    So your shadows will also cause double draw and lag.

Consider moving all the draw into one draw call, batching it... See GMS tech blog.

Are you using surfaces?

• Hi Boysano,

Thanks for your feedback!

I had to abandon particles and shadow effects entirely. My conclusion here is that html5 is not suited to all game types.
    I am sure that in time this will be less of an issue.
  • The past week we had a major FIrefox issue, and resolved it by simply upgrading to unstable betal channel of GMS and recompiling.
    Actually I think we compiled it in EA = Early Access of GMS and it solved most issues.

There has been plenty bug fixes, not sure why yoyo is taking so long to roll it out to the stable update channel.