UCT Game Jam 14-16 November 2014

edited in Events
UCT's Computer Science department is hosting a game jam (computer and board game) from the 14th - 16th November 2014. If you are interested in attending the game jam please complete the registration form. The jam is taking place in a secure venue on UCT's Upper Campus, the exact venue will be shared with participants. The venue will be accessible for the entire duration of the jam so bring your sleeping bag! Internet access will be provided via cable and wifi. There will be sufficient power but if your setup requires an unusual amount of plugs please bring a multi-plug extension. You will need to bring your own computer and materials (pens, paper etc) of course ;)

The jam theme will be announced on the day. The jam will make use of itch.io's game jam platform for hosting.

For all those who want to learn about an easy to use game framework or just want get into the jamming spirit before the competition begins, do attend the pre-jam lecture at 15:00 on Friday the 14th. I will cover game development with the following technologies and tools Love2D, Sublime Text, Atom and GitHub and cover concepts such as:
  • An introduction to Lua
  • Input with keyboard, mouse and game controllers
  • Using game states for a higher level separation of game logic and game flow
  • A reusable entity-component system
  • Creating a custom camera class and special effects
  • Tile based game development
  • Tile and entity bounding box collision detection and resolution
  • Box2D
If you have any questions please contact me here or email me at sean@seanpackham.com
Thanked by 2EvanGreenwood dammit

Comments

• I'm in! Though I may not sleep over ;)
  • Haha great! See you next week :)
  • edited
    This sounds awesome! (though I might be a bit too busy around then to participate, I'll see closer to the time)
  • Thanks :) It would be awesome even if you guys just pop in for a bit to inspire the young jammers. We have a lot of students from our 2nd and 3rd year games courses taking part in their first jam.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • argh said:
    Thanks :) It would be awesome even if you guys just pop in for a bit to inspire the young jammers. We have a lot of students from our 2nd and 3rd year games courses taking part in their first jam.
    Making them far more educated (and experienced) than me, for sure :P
  • edited
    sweeeeeet! Very stoked to see UCT organising some jams! It's the beating heart of game dev, wonderful. Also gonna try pop in! Will have to see closer to the time how much of that weekend I can spare, sure I can come in on Saturday at very least but will also try make it for the prejam talks on Friday and generally be visibly exited ^_^

@wogan, dude don't worry about experience, jams are experience, working with others is experience! Courses give foundation but means only so much without greater context. So don't fear, just make games! :D
  • @wogan yes @raxter is right, jams are a great learning experience. I'd highly recommend coming to the lecture at 15:00. Give me 2 hours and I will have you making games :)
    Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • @raxter sweet looking forward to see you, hope it will be for the whole jam ;)
  • edited
    Rad! If my workload isn't killing me I will definitely be there :D
  • edited
    Sure, if it's an open kind of event I'll try pop in one way or another. Even if it's just for a day... I'm really keen to try my hand at board game design, maybe this is the opportunity.
  • I'll hopefully pop in too.
  • Yes it is pretty open except pizza is only for those who pay for the full weekend though :P
  • Looks like I've been roped into doing something for 7DFPS (by an artist who has started making art for a game I haven't begun yet).

So I'll almost certainly be dropping in, even if it's just to do some 2DFPS jamming.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky awesome news, see you at the jam! First floor of the Computer Science building in the TSL lab.
  • edited
    Is there away of embedding an imgur album?

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/U39C6/embed"></iframe>
  • @Merrik Those photos turned out fantastic - thanks for sharing!
  • That toilet plumbing game looks great.