Help a wookiee out please (small project needs some expertise)

edited in General
Hi guys and gals

I wanted to ask this at the last meet-up, but everyone was too busy humping my leg so I didn't have a chance to bring it up.

I am going to need a flash mini-game developed for a project that is happening on SA Techie from December (mini-game is for later than that). Is anyone interested in a small project? I need a treasure map game (map of SA) where people are asked questions and have to either find the right place to click on the map (call that option A) or they must click on the map and then score can be awarded based on how close to the correct coordinates they are (option B). The high score needs to be emailed to me, so that I can make a daily scoreboard.

As this is a part of a campaign that will make my website some money, I want to pay for the work that needs to be done. (Not asking for handouts! :) ) Any suggestions on how much a project of this nature would cost would also help me negotiate a payment from the client to you guys.

If anyone is interested, or can point me to people who can do this ( I really wanted it to be a 'game' and not just a standard flash thing), please let me know!

Regards
@Valshen

PS I hope I put this under the correct category.

Comments

• Hey, I can probably help out - but it will be in the evenings so all depends on time.
    assumptions / questions :
    1. Graphics are supplied ?
    2. Questions are dynamic or hard coded? Random?
    3. When exactly do you need it by? You say mini game is for later - how much later?
    4. What exactly does "game and not just a standard flash thing" mean ? (new to this "game" thing - only know flash thing ;)

@jhb_flash
    Thanked by 1Valshen
  • I am just checking on 1,2 and 3.

Basically the original idea was of a map that you could move a cursor over until you found a jewel that popped out or treasure or the like, but that sounded a bit boring to me?

So I thought it would be cooler if it worked like a game, that say the answer to the question is Jhb and you click on the coastline near durban, your score for the question would be zero or close to it, while a click almost on where Jhb is on the map would get 100 points in the scores afterwards.

The idea is that the best scores will be chosen weekly, to attempt to bring people back to the site regularly.
    I will add more info when I hear back on 1,2 and 3.
  • If it's meant to be web-based, you won't even need flash for it (unless if flash is a hard technical requirement). Just use google maps - build up a list of "correct" coordinates, and ask people to stick a pin in the map. Google can do the distance math for you, which can calculate the score, and not a single email has to be sent, if you can host it yourself.
    Thanked by 1Valshen
  • @Wogan that is a pretty interesting idea as well! Thank you. :)
  • Something to keep in mind about flash (someone call me out on this if I am wrong please?) is that in order to send scores in an email or send them to a database, it has to interact with other script files (eg. a php file that sends the mail). If someone takes a look at the information passed from flash to page (which can be done in Chrome dev tools, etc), they can manipulate the score sent and therefore always have the highest score.

I had this happen on a small project we did, client was informed it could happen but in this case it was not a train smash. Also from my investigations SSL would have helped to mitigate this because at least you know where the data is coming from. Flash, as much as I love it, seems to be quite leaky when it comes to security, or maybe I just haven't read the right articles yet.
  • I just remembered that another option was to encrypt data in flash and then decrypt in the script (eg. php file). There were libraries that did this for you. Unfortunately someone can decompile your flash swf and take a gander at the encryption key and then you have the same problem as before. Maybe storing the encryption key in a separate file (that is not viewable to the public) and having a cross-domain policy may help.

End of rant about a subject no one is actually talking about. Story of my life :)
  • n1cn1c
    edited
    This makes me think of GeoGuessr.com