Ludum Dare #31 Venue at the Free Lives Dev House.

edited in General
Ludum Dare # 31 is happening from the 5th of December to the 8th of December.

Some of us from Free Lives will be jamming over the weekend. Let us know if you'd like to jam alongside us (and share in the camaraderie, endless Oreos, coffee machine, high-fives and all that).

We're moving to a new dev house in December. We expect it can accommodate an extra 4 or 5 jammers. At least some of us will be jamming from the 5th until the night of the 8th.

(We haven't actually moved in yet, but we think it'll be a nice venue).

If you're definitely keen, I'll PM you with the direction and telephone numbers, space permitting. (Once we've figured out the directions ourselves... I haven't actually visited the place in person as yet).

Thanked by 1BenJets

Comments

• edited
    Gimme gimme!

(English translation: I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to attend, I will even supply bribes of extra Oreos)
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Thanks for the reminder of the next LD! I'll definitely try to make it. DEFINITO.

Though sorry I can't make it to your venue, probably. Unless I take a holiday in CT. Which is unlikely since GDC -_-
  • Super keen. I'll check with the other QCF folks too, seeing as some of them are not particularly active on the forum.
  • KEEN! pm-ing now
  • Spending my LD in the RetroEpic office - but I might pop in to steal game ideas over the weekend ;)
  • I would move to capetown in a heartbeat to participate :p
  • So keen! Thanks for the invite @BlackShipsFillTheSky!
  • is anyone bringing an oculus? I want to try out some shader tricks to see if they scale to the 3rd dimention
    Thanked by 2Tuism wogan
  • We have DK1 for what it's worth
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • If I can sleep (or not sleep) by the office I'll fly down there for this :p
  • Hey guys, as I mentioned at the recent meetup, myself and the rest of the Clockwork Acorn guys are thinking of coming in to Cape for Ludum Dare, depending on how our work this weeks goes. If you guys still have space available we'd love to drop in. I think we'll be between 4 and 5 people total. I realise that's a large group, so if you guys are full up, don't worry about it.

Hardware wise I believe we are all laptops, except for one desktop.

Even if you guys are filled up, thanks for the offer!
  • edited
    This is the list of who has said they're interested. There have been a couple faders (so the list of enthusiastic people on this thread could be misleading).

From Free Lives:
    Myself
    Ruan
    Richard
    Filip
    Dawid

Other jammers:
    Bensonance
    Luke (from Wits, don't know his handle)
    Elyaradine
    Sugboerie
    raxter
    BenJets
    Squidcor and 3 other QCF'ers
    Riocide and 4 others from Clockwork Acorn

At this point our weakest link in hosting this many people is our internet connection. We've got a standard 4 mbits ADSL here, and while we're trying to get more internet, I'm not sure what we'll have achieved by the weekend.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    I carry around some one of those Afrihost mobile things, so as long as there's MTN signal (eugh), I've got a wifi hotspot that a couple of folks can maybe share. I've got a tiny cap though, so it's fine for gathering ref or browsing forums for help and whatnot, but obviously updating Steam games, downloading Unity or Visual Studio would be out of the question. On a good day, it gets 1MB/s download, but usually it's around 400KB/s I think.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE DAWID AGAIN. AND MEET FILIP.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • This QCF jammer is keen, afaik it's all 4 of us.
  • damousey said:
    This QCF jammer is keen, afaik it's all 4 of us.
    Oh. Em. Gee. :D :D :D
  • We've got one of those MTN Afrihost wifi hubs too. They work great for jams, at least everyone in a group can be on the same wifi network for file sharing.
  • I'll bring my Afrihost in a tablet form broadcasting another spot, we might in fact have a noise problem. if MTN coverage though.

Also what do we actually need to bring? at this point I think the most crucial thing missing is longleads.

You have quite a few chair things, and probably enough desk type things, but to make those spots real you need the 'lectrics.
  • We're trying to set up a signal booster. At the moment the signal for MTN isn't great here, but I'm hoping this gets fixed by the weekend.
  • Wow, how much space you guys have? This sounds like it's turning into an awesome jam weekend... I might have to rock up and pester you guys ;)
  • ARRRRRGH YOU PEOPLE ARE MAKING ME SO INSANELY JELLY
  • edited
    I've been testing our MTN data dongle around the house. It seems like the speeds are pretty inconsistent, but sit at between 2 mbits and 0.2 mbits download and have quite unpredictable upload speeds.

I'm not certain we can get a signal booster in time.
  • edited
    *Long time lurker emerges from the darkness*

Make sure you guys have enough power. Don't want that to ruin your jam. This is something that a lot of people overlook. Check the breaker box (and any sub boards if there are) to see how many "plugs" breakers there are and what their amperages are. You don't want them running at more than 80% continuously (unless you want your Oreos toasted :p).

Amps = watts/volts(220). I usually like to allocate 90-150watts per laptop with 90watts being a nothing-out-of-the-ordinary laptop and 150 being a proper gaming laptop. For PCs it varies a lot. I'd allocate 400-500w for a good PC with a fairly good graphs card. You don't have to allocate the maximum amount of power that the PC will draw since not everyone will be ruining at 100% at the same time.

Also, wall sockets and extension cords usually only want to take 16amps max and you also don't want them to be running at max the whole time.

Hope that your jam goes well. I hope to become more active in the community soon.
  • Also: check the load shedding schedule. I know we're expecting to be out both Saturday and Sunday for 2 hours (though, the website currently says suspended...rather be prepared!)
  • what time are things kicking off on Friday? I've got nothing to do that day so I want to come and get an early start
  • Remember that there is soccer Friday eve!
    Thanked by 2Gibbo Squidcor
  • edited
    @raxter You're welcome to come through early on Friday. The office is functional by about 10:30 am. I'll pm you the address.

@charly Unless the electrics in this place are dodgy (and there's little we can do about that), it shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • One thing on the load shedding: Eskom's plan is to loadshed over weekends by default, so while it's suspended now it might go "live" over the weekend.

Plus, the schedule isn't entirely accurate. Your best bet is to call them (0860 103 089), select the option to report an electrical fault (3 I think), and then one of the options is to hear a messages about outages. Your dev house is in zone 11, and there's a chance that even though it's on the website, it may not be hit with loadshedding on the day.

I'm not sure when they update that message though, so it's probably a good idea to check 2 or 3 times during the day.
  • @Tuism I know right...

We should just form a cult up in the Joburg area and one of our primary beliefs should be that there is a Free Lives dev house in all of us.
    Would you believe me if I told you they played joust in Capetown, at night, on the mountain, with Colin Northway... I mean...

But seriously : sounds like its going to be a blast. Enjoy it.
  • @raxter You're welcome to come through early on Friday. The office is functional by about 10:30 am. I'll pm you the address.

@charly Unless the electrics in this place are dodgy (and there's little we can do about that), it shouldn't be a problem.
    Ok, but I sure as heck know that my house wouldn't be able to handle that amount of computers. Unless you are using office space?
  • house/office space, same difference.
  • @charly The house is a little oversized.
  • edited
    damousey said:
    house/office space, same difference.
    Not quite. Try running 20 PCs (a small office, I guess) on your house's electricity.

It's not about how dodgy or professional the wiring is. It's about the lack of capacity.
    @charly The house is a little oversized.
    Yeah, you still just want to check that you'll have the capacity. My parents' old house was 5 bedroom and I'd maybe be able to fit 10-12 PCs and even then I'd have to run extension cords from the other side of the house (different circuit).

• edited
    @charly These are the two power boxes in the house. The images are rather blurry, but you can kind of tell that there are a lot of switches labelled "PLUGS" as well as 6 earth leakages.

• This thread sideline is turning funny

The first photos online of the ridiculous marble-floored mansion that is the free lives dev house is now the DB.

it should have been one of the jacuzzis, or that nightclub styled double-storey glass-clad deck space that you don't even know how to call a lounge.

but no

DB
  • edited
    @damousey I'm actually quite impressed with the 6 earth leakage switches that this house boasts (that allow me to feel confident about having an extra dozen jammers here). Next time you come by I'll be sure to show you :P
  • :) Next time I come over, we'll be testing it.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • It looks like there might be a little bit of construction going on in the Saturday, but I don't think it's going to be around where people are jamming.

We're getting two extra 3G Mifi spots in case the internet is overloaded. If anyone has 3G dongles/mifi please bring them along.

(In theory we'll have better internet and better cell phone reception by the next Ludum Dare)
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky Is there space for one more lurker? I won't be bringing anything though...
  • @Mexicanopiumdog What do you mean by "lurker" and what do you mean by not bringing anything?
  • @charly The house is a little oversized.
    @charly These are the two power boxes in the house. The images are rather blurry, but you can kind of tell that there are a lot of switches labelled "PLUGS" as well as 6 earth leakages.
    Wow. That's what you call "a little oversized"? Yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

You guys have a Jacuzzi? Wow. Or was that just a joke? Nice, hope you enjoy your new offices.
  • I am now tingling with anticipation. I may or may not need to waterproof my laptop.
  • edited
    @charly Yeah, I'm not really sure how to describe this place. It's definitely a "little oversized", but that's from the perspective of 10 people working here and 5 of those people living here, which means it has to be quite a lot of space just to be adequate. As it happens it is substantially bigger than adequate.
  • Well done @BlackShipsFilltheSky for creating a monster of a jam event. So if there's still any kind of space I'd like to claim it. The Massive attack assets are too awesome to pass up on. If it so happens you are at capacity I'm still totally going to drop by and say hi to @Elyaradine, because you don't get to keep him all to yourself ;)
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • edited
    Post loads of photos!
  • Would love to pop by and be a fly on the wall for a bit.
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">It looks like loadshedding shouldn't be much of a problem in Constantia - given that it's gotten an early morning slot:</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;"><a href="http://ewn.co.za/assets/loadshedding/capetown.html">http://ewn.co.za/assets/loadshedding/capetown.html</a></span></font><br></div>;
  • Thanks to everyone who came.

This was a super awesome weekend. I hope all you jammers had a great time, especially @Elyaradine and @Sugboerie who traveled down from Joburg!

Thanks for making our new home a rad place this weekend.

Good luck with the final couple hours!
  • Thanks for having us. It was too awesome.