Game Industry Day 2014 at Friends of Design

edited in Events
Hi everyone.

Some of you might already be aware that we are setting up the Game Industry Day here at Friends of Design. The interest from media industry people, corporates and other design areas is huge. The post went viral so fast that I could not post this invitation here quickly enough. I had to check first if I can provide enough space for what I wanted to offer to you.

What is the event about? From working with my students, being connected to some of the developers here and having trained some of our corporate clients (textbook publishers, media agencies ...) in game technology and how it can be used for their purposes, I know that there is a lot of interest in what you guys are developing and in working with you. I want to provide an opportunity to connect game developers and people that would like to enter the field or have games and interactive applications in general developed for them. Another reason for the event is that people outside the game development community need to know that there is a lot happening in the Cape Town area when it comes to game development and that we have capable developers.

That is why, first of all, I would like to invite all of you to RSVP for the event and come to network and listen to our speakers.
And I would like to offer you some space to show the projects you are working on. I have reserved a room here where you can setup and show the visitors what you are doing. Mweb Gamezone will cover the event as well. We can provide room for about 5 to 7 projects. If you are interested or have any questions, please, just drop me an email and let me know.

We will update the schedule as soon as we have new confirmations and news.

For more info visit the event's site
http://friendsofdesign.net/game-industry-day/
Thanked by 3dammit electrov Jason

Comments

• edited
    We'd appreciate the opportunity to show off Broforce (the game we're working on). It'd also be fun for us to show off the other projects we're prototyping, though I don't want to push my luck for space.

I've booked two seats for Free Lives. At least two of us will come along.

Please consider coming along to the meetup on Wednesday (as suggested in the other thread). It's the last meetup for the year, I expect there'll be a bit of a wrap-up, state-of-the-industry, congrats-on-making-it-through-2014 kind of vibe.
  • w00t, booking a seat too

Happy to show off 6x Mass Production if you'll have it, still alpha stage though so will leave it to your judgement (have a UI and level design update coming in about a week as well). I think it could be a good example of using a game to teach... since it is essentially about programming (though I would not put that in a marketing blurb :p)
  • Hey, great. I will be happy to provide spacce for you. The rsvps are picking up rapidly. The interest from other media areas is really big. A lot of interesting people coming. When and wheere is the meetup. Sorry, I have been too busy with the game course and the Department of Education this year to keep in proper contact with makegamesSA.
  • Sounds great ;) Thanks for the quick help!
  • We'd love to get some space to show off our iPad titles - Day in the Woods and Laughing Ginjah if possible? I've also RSVPed for 3 people from our team to come through for the day's events.
  • @dammit Cool. Just let me know how much space you might need. Is 1 table 1x2 meters enough.
  • I will be coming to the meetup later. We can discuss the matter then. I sadly won't be able to stay for the entire event though.
  • @dammit Cool. Just let me know how much space you might need. Is 1 table 1x2 meters enough.
    Should be plenty of space :) Thanks!

• Hi,

We, Fuzzy Logic, would love to attend if you have space? We're able to show our new game Word Duels, a game we've helped developed for Mediatonic and Microsoft and can also show some of the augmented reality products we've worked on recently.

Do you have more space?

cheers
  • @Jason how much space do you need.
  • Sorry by the way I could not stay last night. I had my students to attend to as they are finishing their projects for friday handin right now. I will take care that my next years students and myself will be there more often.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • @LarsEspeter Are you guys okay with showing early prototypes of games? Or do you want to focus on more fully fleshed out offerings? Also, will you guys have hardware there or would we need to bring our own?
  • Riocide said:
    @LarsEspeter Are you guys okay with showing early prototypes of games? Or do you want to focus on more fully fleshed out offerings? Also, will you guys have hardware there or would we need to bring our own?
    Hey. it depends how early that prototype is. The guys coming in here are non-developers. So they might misjudge the potential. That happens a lot :) When it comes to machines I highly suggest to bring your own hardware as you know your projects run on them the way they should. And our school is mostly Mac based due to our webdesign and graphic design background.
  • @LarsEspeter sorry for the delay, but there would be two of us. Would there be a table or anything? We don't need a lot of space, just enough for two and an iPad to demo some products.
  • @Jason : There absolutely is space for that. Welcome :)
  • Hi all.
    To set up everything nicely I would like you to come in at around 5pm on Thursday 11th. We are located at 186 Bree Street just across the Orphanage. Anyone who cannot come Thursday in a week, then let me know. Thanks, guys.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • @LarsEspeter Could you let us know what will be provided on the tables? (Ie: Will we need table cloths etc).
  • Hey, a slight cchange in schedule. I learned that we will host the MacTech event on the evening of 11th December. So please come in at around 4pm so we have enough time to set everything up before it gets busy. Sorry for the inconvenience. When it comes to tablecloth, I will let you know early last week. We will provide extension cords, but maybe you should bring some, too. If there is anyone of you who wants to come before that date to maybe look at the room and everything, let me know.
  • @LarsEspeter Hi Lars, I'm going to have to pull out of the event (not related to your previous message)

:( I was invited to a wedding on the Thursday but didn't realise it was far out of town, so I'll only be back midday on the 12th. Is it still possible to come for the afternoon half of the event? Is there anything planned for afterwards?

So I'll have to give up my raxterworks table, sorry for the cancel! Was looking forward to the talks!
  • @raxter Shame. But yeah, that is a reason not to come :) Maybe you can setup your table before and have it there. You still can come in during the afternoon hours. Sure. There will be a talk about 3D Printing and one on Game Marketing
  • Okay, guys, if you need a table cloth bring one. We have black clotth here but it may not suffice. Plugs are available, but you can never have enough of them. If you have any more questions, let me know
  • We are at 90 RSVPs now and still counting. A lot of interest from other media areas. Looking forward to seeing you guys on thursday!
  • Okay ... 95 now :)
  • We are at 90 RSVPs now and still counting. A lot of interest from other media areas. Looking forward to seeing you guys on thursday!
    Glad to hear there's a nice amount of interest, I look forward to the event. Just to confirm: the actual event is still on Friday, and it's just the setup on Thursday, right?
    Thanked by 1LarsEspeter
    Glad to hear there's a nice amount of interest, I look forward to the event. Just to confirm: the actual event is still on Friday, and it's just the setup on Thursday, right?
    Yes, the setup is on thursday. The event starts on Friday at 10.30 with a short introduction by me. At 10.45 Desmond Kurz will do the first talk.
  • Doing a takl on Game Marketing Joe Mullin from Vostok Games (former GSC of STALKER fame) will hand out free Closed Beta Keys for their latest game Survarium! http://survarium.com/en
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Hi everyone! Thanks for coming to the event on Friday and for participating. I hope you had fun and enjoyed the talks. Proof of concept approved from our side. So we will have the next Game Industry Day sometime in June/July next year. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please, let me know! Cheers!