[WIP] tracKtion

edited in Projects
This isn't nearly as far progressed as most of the stuff posted here, but we're working on a futuristic hover-craft racing game for phones and tablets made in Unity.
Here is what we currently have, which is more a prototype than anything at this stage:

(the blurryness and stuttering in the video can be attributed to youtube and my video recording program :-/)

The track texture will very likely need to change quite a bit. Generally I've been playing it on a phone or in the small Unity editor window. I tried playing it fullscreen for the first time yesterday on a 27" and the horizontal lines freak my eyes out to the point where it is nauseating.

Besides all the obvious stuff, we want to have:
  • Simple track builder so anyone can make tracks, and upload them for anyone to play. This will likely only be available in the tablet version because of screen space, however the track you make will work on all platforms. The tracks are build out of snap-able track pieces that all fit nicely together. The track in this build was built with those pieces as it will be in the final.
  • Semi-multiplayer. To avoid the complexity of real-time multiplayer we're going to have ghost cars stored on a leaderboard service, and you race against those. So before each track you can see a list of people who have done it, and you can race against their ghost car. Global leaderboards will be shared across platforms.
  • Low-memory device support. It currently runs locked at 59FPS on a Lumia 620. And at 65FPS (it appears locked?) on the crappy R500 kalahari gobii Android phone. This is likely going to get a lot harder to maintain once we add more stuff, but we're trying to learn how to do stuff the "right" way as we go.

Comments

• edited
    Looks very cool. Keep it up :)
  • Sick flip in the first gif! :)

I'm impressed at the size of the level you can fit into a mobile game. Just out of curiosity, does the scale of the objects in the game matter? Did you have to make the hovercraft physically small in the game world, or is it irrelevant to the Unity engine?
  • edited
    WIPEOUT!

I doubt that the "scale" of something matters - whether "a thing" is 1 units or 10 units, what takes up memory are polycount, textues, re-using of models or not, etc.

I'm utterly not understanding how your variable gravity is able to work so smoothly, I tried something to that effect and it was difficult to get a smooth transition, does it align itself to a face that it collides with, or is it a series of zones/triggers that set the gravity? Or... some other voodoo magic?
  • Thanks, @vintar! :)
    wogan said:
    Sick flip in the first gif! :)

I'm impressed at the size of the level you can fit into a mobile game. Just out of curiosity, does the scale of the objects in the game matter? Did you have to make the hovercraft physically small in the game world, or is it irrelevant to the Unity engine?
    To be honest, I don't know. We've been using 1 "Unity unit" == 1 meter and it has been working great. There could possibly be some internal Unity optimization that presumes roughly what size objects should be. However none of us have tons of Unity experience (or game dev in general) so we're really learning this sort of stuff as we go. But if you're talking about non-uniform scaling in the game world (as oppose to importing at your desired units), that has a negative effect on perf and breaks batching with differently scaled instances of that object.
    TL;DR: I'm sure someone much smarter will answer your question :D
  • Sweeeeeeeet. I love Wipeout-style hovercar games. I also dig the game's name. :D

Any chance of a basic playable, even if it's via web build?
  • Stunt car meets wipeout, nice! I like your idea of the "semi-multiplayer". Out of interest, are you streaming in the different track segments, or is the whole race track loaded in as a single scene?
  • @Gazza_N, sure! Will post it when I can.

@electrov, the track in the gifs/video is just loaded in as a single scene and was made in the Unity editor. However the plan is to just save serialized positions of each track piece prefab for any given track and place them at runtime. I'll probably start working on that over the weekend. One thing that I'm really not sure about is how to do lighting for that though. Currently we can just lightmap the whole scene. But once we're placing pieces at runtime that won't work. And we can't afford dynamic lights because of mobile. I think the best thing to do will be to do a lightmap with no shadows and use that.
    Thanked by 1Gazza_N
  • @roguecode Are you noting down any of the stuff you're learning while building for mobile? I think a lot of us will be interested in the challenges and solutions you had to work through ;)
  • Ok, here is a web deploy of it: http://roguecode.co.za/old/extracontent/rr/041214/Game Test 3 Web.html :)
    Lighting is weird, and a lot of things are still broken obviously.

@wogan Good idea!
  • edited
    Gave it a play, and I'm deffo getting a "Trackmania by way of Wipeout" vibe from it (THAT'S A GOOD THING). I like the momentum drift on turns, because it feels like that's what a "real" hovercar would do, but I feel that there's just a teeeeensy bit too much momentum there as I turn. It feels like my acceleration isn't doing very much to counter the drift. Now, I love that I need to get used to how the car handles and plan my lines accordingly, because that's a huge part of the appeal of this sort of game, but for the moment I really feel out of control in the turns, as opposed to feeling that I'm guiding my way through a tight slide through smart acceleration. Does that make any sense? :P

Either way, a solid start. The loop-de-loops and flip jumps are really slick, and it's great that you've made it work well on mobile. I can see this playing well on phones and tablets. Looking forward to seeing how you extend it. :D
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • 81.4 seconds, Boom! Almost perfect run. The controls are a bit floaty, and the "half pipe gap" section was easily the hardest bit to consistently get right. But I did get use to the controls, and I did play it like 30 times to get that time, so it's definitely fun.<br><br>Also did I mention I'm a complete Wipeout nut :D
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • 80.7 seconds! Why can't I stop playing this game!<br>
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • Thank you so much for the feedback!<br><br>@Gazza_N, we spent what felt like weeks just trying to get the "feel" of the craft right. But yeah, it still isn't totally correct :( I'm going try dropping the drift a bit to make the craft feel more "sticky". While that makes it less like a real hovercraft, it will make it easier to control. <br><br>@pieter, that is awesome, glad you're enjoying it :D I really want it to be replayable without getting boring, and part of that is the ghost cars. So it's nice to hear that someone else is enjoying it repetitively! <br>We were just loadshedded in Durban for 2.5h and I managed to play it non-stop. I've got my time down to 79.8ish. I think what helped was taking the sideways halfpipe thing lower instead of wasting time ramping up.<br>With regards to the control, I think there needs to be a lot more tweaking there.<br><br>
  • @roguecode: Having experienced the same exact same problem in one of my own prototypes, I know your pain. Nailing handling that feels tight while keeping it true to the characteristics of the fantasy vehicle you want to "simulate" is tricky as all hell, but that's why it's awesome that you posted a playable this early on. :D<br>

One of these days the track builder will work :)
  • Even though I suck at it, this game is truly awesome! well done guys .
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • edited
    Gave it a try, it feels surprisingly polished for an alpha, The craft feels good, but a bit... hovercrafty? Yeah I think making it feel a bit more like it has traction on the turns would make it better, but great job! (Heh, game is called tracktion but there's actually no traction in the game at all)

The loop the loops and half pipe feels very natural, straight out of trackmania. I felt hitting the sides was a bit unforgiving, flipping you around at any speed above a crawl.

The only thing I can see thats missing are turbo speed booster sections of track! The long open jump at the end was a bit lacklustre without that nice turbo boost I'm used to having in trackmania.

Very good job so far though, will be keen to see where this goes!
  • This loops cool. Kinda like Track mania meets wipeout, so glad someone is finally making something like this for mobile!