What are you working on?

As the title states what game(s) are you working on right now and what are your plans for it over the next few months?

------------

To start off I have yet again started work on a roguelike. Busy using it as a way to level up my c++ skills and over the next month or two I will be focusing on game play. So far most of the techy stuff underneath is out of the way and I am trying to avoid rewriting anything unless I absolutely have to. Having tons of fun and working with a friend on it.

The game will initially be a port of an MMO we used to play that we enjoyed but as a simpler single player experience. We decided we liked the Ragnarok Online mechanics and we are taking our time to remake something fun using them while making it make sense as a turn based roguelike.

--------

Be as detailed or as vague as you would like.

Comments

• edited
    I have this horrible tendency to get hooked on a concept, but before I can throw my whole weight behind it I get distracted and hooked on another concept.

The concepts rotate around every few weeks depending on what I'm currently watching, playing, reading. I just never get around to fulfilling them :(

They are in no particular order:

- Masters of Orion 2 clone (played a LOT of MOO2 over the holiday)
    - Myst / Riven style adventure game remake in UE4 (Riven is one of my favourite games)
    - Medieval sewer simulator - run your own thieves guild based in the sewers (see "The Mockers" in the Raymond E. Feist books)
    - Descent 3 clone - (Loved all the Descent games)
    - Reservoir 2

*sigh* one day I'll make at *least* one of them.

Oh and I'm working on a silly prototype set in a Museum I made for Ladum Dare that I didnt finish in time for the compo. Might as well get it playable and release it here on the forums.
  • Busy working on "Brewery Defence: Drunken Dwarves" which is a Tower Defence for Android devices.

Planning to have it done by the end of the month but would really appreciate getting feedback on it in the post below.
    makegamessa.com/discussion/2737/prototype-brewery-defence-drunken-dwarves#latest

• Some friends and I are busy working on a multiplayer third person shooter in Unreal Engine 4.

• Hey !
    I am trying to finish MONTEZ and Cluster as well as doing my first paid client work. Also busy working on a 4 player local multiplayer game aimed at touch devices.. I will post a thread soon.
  • edited
    Ive been learning Unity for the last half year or so and whatever idea pops in my head I try and create it and use it as a learning opportunity.
    I started with a simple ten-pin bowling attempt :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56011417/Bowling/WebBuild.html

then made a really cheesey plant vs zombies clone called "Turrets vs Zombies" :P (seems to do nothing but hang in there it will start)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56011417/TurretsvsZombies/WebBuild.html

More recently been trying to make something fun for my 6 year old son who just loves the Jaqui Lawson christmas advent calendars, except I did it 3D style :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56011417/AdventCalender/WebBuild.html
  • We're working on "tracKtion" currently http://makegamessa.com/discussion/2657/wip-tracktion
    But might shift to something more urgent over the next few weeks.

I'm also attempting to learn how shaders work properly, and start making my own instead of abusing other peoples'.
  • I'm busy making it possible to drag spells from your inventory straight onto targets in Desktop Dungeons. I'm also running around sorting out plane tickets to San Francisco and planning the rest of that trip, trying to get Telkom to agree to fix our DSL line, and start writing our GDC talk.
  • I'm preparing a showreel and still learning to "see" better, as well as dumping my old work in favour of a new portfolio.
  • I'm working on 6x Mass Production, a puzzle game where you construct things out of hex-blocks

I've been working very lightly on it over the last month or so to incorporate feedback on the level and UI design. Not made any announcements yet since I want to fix up one of the later levels and post it to TIGSource, but you can play the new version here
  • I'm working on making Beat Attack more accessible, working out GDC tickets and itinerary, and starting to get Krigsskibbe (Codename: Warship) started. Also updating Dead Run to be more accessible, and trying to see if there are any other way of getting a Taiwanese bank account other than flying back to Taiwan, so I can get in on Google Play.
  • Was working on VCD, but now we're on a break for a few weeks. Gonna use the time for some renovations, crafting some bangin' tunes and working on some prototypes. One, especially, is showing great promise, is huge fun and is much closer to the type of game we've wanted to make for ages!
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • Just finished client work of a escape the room game, which was published to google:
    Minscape

Busy working on a basic RTS engine framework in GMS this week,
    then we need to stop this vanity project or place on hold for innovation Fridays to work on our own IP.
    Planning to remake Tenticle Wars (from 12 Jan) for mobile HTML5 publisher market, and focus 2015 on this market until we cashflow well enough to make larger vanity projects...which is more indie like in creativity and design.

All this while going to baby classes, since my wife is expecting our first child 20 Feb-ish.

Excited for 2015, it is going to be a make or break year for me in game development world...
  • I looked at my growing pile of incomplete prototypes... and then took 3 whole days in December building another.

FINALLY built my first Sokoban clone! Yes! It parses Tiled editor created levels.

I found out building good Sokoban levels are actually harder than creating the engine itself, so I then proceeded to spiral in another direction and started researching how to randomly generate solve-able levels of a good quality.

Didn't get too far. 2015 started and the corporate yanked me from the happy coding mode, back to that unhappy coding place... not really ;)

*sigh* have to find a way to make game development a more permanent pass-time.
  • I'm writing a generic configurable input system for Game Maker: Studio that will allow input in a very similar manner to how Unity does it with Input.GetButton("fire1");

I'm coding it outside zX so once it's done I can just upload it to my GitHub for everyone to just grab and use.
  • edited
    Knocked out another rapid prototype in the last two evenings playfully called "Spacific Fish" was fun to make :)

Press spacebar to drop a line.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56011417/SpacificFish/WebBuild.html
  • edited
    A game of mine, Vulture for NetHack, that first went live over 10 years ago (open source) has been greenlit on steam. All it's game art was provided by the community (it's remaining open source, but with a small fee if you want a prebuilt binary within steam). Artists are preparing trading cards and other goodies for me while I'm trying to get a newer build on windows / mac / linux prepared. It's also getting a massive "HD"/"High Quality" update in the background, but this will take some time still (over 3000 3D models in production) and will come as a DLC with steam SDK achievements etc and this higher quality version will NOT be open source.

My other game, Bunny Bash, that's been greenlit was playable, but early Alpha (as far as progress goes I was caught with my pants down this being greenlit so fast). This I like to describe as far as genre goes as "A Coffee Break Deathmatch". It's just silly quick drop-in fun. I'm mostly just getting artists to prepare branding and other steam goodies so that it's me (coding) that has to play catchup when I'm done getting the other one live.

Received the first of the art from the artist for bunny bash though, so I'll just put that here with a couple of screenshots.

• I've... not been doing much dev of consequence lately. I've been intermittently hacking out a simple GM audio system for @Karuji, and recording a bit of voiceover work for another local project.
  • I've been working on a Hobo simulator. Live on the streets, survive the days, beg, sell, eat and look in trash cans for food. It's coming along slowly.

You can follow my progress on my website here: gamesofdaniel.com

When it's in a more presentable state I'll open a thread on the forums :)
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • That game sounds super fun @Gnoblar_agency it reminds me of a warcraft III map "Life as a Peasant" looking forward to see it.
  • edited
    I'm getting System Crash ( systemcrashgame.com ) ready for release. Which mostly entails balancing the campaign battles and reward curve.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Hey everyone.
    I am currently working on a pro bono project. You all know Mugen right? Well, I had a look at it the other day, as I used to play it endlessly when it first came out and I thought to myself...with all the nice clean cut crisp graphics 2d games are capable of these days why not rebuild it? As it's only a project for my 2d portfolio, and because of licencing issues, it's free to play. I am currently in the process of redrawing and re-colouring all the characters of the game as well as reworking the animations. I will post before and afters a bit later. Also working on the intro. Now that is a challenge in itself. And before there is any confusion...NO! It's not a Mugen rework. Only most of the character gfx are used and reworked into HD. Looking to develop a 2.5D environment to incorporate those big destructive elements that make you think.."Wow, I just smacked that guy through a building,". Maintaining the 3d illusion with the 2d gfx will be a challenge yes, but I think I can pull it off. No name for it yet, but I was leaning towards DBZ:Ultimate Fighter

Prospective elements in the game:
    -Single player campaign- Combat all your favourite villains in all the seasons of DBZ ever made as well as the movies. Thinking of bending the rules a bit and have "What if?" scenarios too.
    -Cut scenes right out of the original episodes and movies and on going dialogue during campaign play
    -Augment your favourite fighters with unlockable items and save them to custom profiles (If there is anyway to design your own fighter in 2d, I'm all ears!)
    -Multi Player LAN (online if I can figure out how)
    -Any other cool features that you guys think would be great, don't be afraid to comment.

Well be loading some progress gfx soon so you guys can have some idea what I'm trying to do.

Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Here is a sample of what I am trying to do. Used Coreldraw and photo shop to do the conversion.[img]
    Example.jpg
    9449 x 7087 - 2M
  • Cant seem to load the image. How do I fix this?
    Example.jpg
    9449 x 7087 - 2M
  • Going through Unity3D's livestream tutorials. Wish me luck.
    Thanked by 2EvanGreenwood vintar
  • edited
    RetroEpic is working on updating and re-releasing A Day in the Woods (retroepic.com/our-games/a-day-in-the-woods/) for IOs as well as a very cool matching game called Laughing Ginjah. Will share trailers and juicy things as soon as they're ready :) but you can see some of the art for Ginjah floating around our website at the moment retroepic.com/our-games/

• Continuing with my Unity learning phase, I felt like trying to make a skydiving type game. It was fun.

• I'm making a top down shooter that let's the player aim two guns independently at the same time using only one joystick for movement and aiming. I have a pretty fun playable prototype that I just uploaded today. Feedback on where to go with this concept is more than welcome!
    http://www.makegamessa.com/discussion/2835/a-twin-stick-shooter-kinda#latest
  • Web build of the funny skydiving game :)

ParaShoot
  • edited
    Working on a little bit of Raptor Polo.

Plus working a little bit on a project as part of the Wits Game Design course

• Hey guys.
    I've been playing the Doom 3 BFG source. Trying to make a Hexen 2 inspired... something. Or another.

But time is a scarce commodity. Hopefully I'll have something to show around September.
  • Hey guys.
    I've been playing the Doom 3 BFG source. Trying to make a Hexen 2 inspired... something. Or another.

But time is a scarce commodity. Hopefully I'll have something to show around September.
    Ah Hexen. One of my all time favorites :)
  • Hi. I'm working on the same unreleased and unknown car game I've been working on for years... ignore me :P
  • Hi, some awesome projects that people are busy with here!

At this very moment I'm fighting with Xcode trying to submit our game "Word Duels" which we've been working on on and off for quite a while at Fuzzy Logic. We'll be doing a soft launch, once its out I could let you guys know and it would be great to get some feedback on it.

We have also recently started helping out on a game being developed by another company, and just finished an augmented reality Magic companion app, which isn't strictly games but was fun to work on :)

• Going back to work on VCD tomorrow, but we managed to make some good progress\cool stuff for a prototype over the last week and some change. Can't wait to show off this little devil >:)
  • Same thing I've been working on since 2014. I'm trying to get game-play right before working on other aspects.

Thanked by 1garethf
  • @SubiyaCryolite looking good :)

Im working on a island survival prototype. Always wanted to make one. Its an intimidating project but i'm jumping in anyway.
  • Refracture with @MurderzMedia and @Frantos... More updates coming soon >:)
  • I've been playing with the same game idea for over a year now - multiplayer tower defence. I miss the days of playing "Line wars" or "Tower wars" in the form of Warcraft 3 custom maps. I've made several prototypes, and moved between frameworks once or twice. I hope to someday make this into a bigger desktop experience, but for now I've settled on making a "touch" defence game for mobiles. I have a working prototype and have played a few rounds with friends to test it out, but I'm in the process of refining it just a little more so that I can load it up here and get a whole lot more feedback on it.
    Thanked by 1vintar