Snailboy 2 Wants You!

Good day all!

Have I got an opportunity for you! Yes, you! no. not you.. YOU!
We're about to make history again with Snailboy 2!!
...but we need your help to do it.

What we have is a metric ton of sprites, and a full feature working game, but we need that game in UNITY.
So, you would port said game from Air, into Unity using C# and the art as is.

If you are indeed the right cat for the job, you'll be working from our Thoopid Studio in Cape Town, 5 days a week.
You'll be paid in proportion to your experience level (like mission rewards), and happy smiles to boot.
You'll have somewhere between 3 and 6 months on the contract to get the job done - ample time for what needs to happen.
And finally, if all goes well, and you hit the right notes, and we like you, you could become a permanent fixture in the studio... oooh.

Candidates for the project would need the following:
+ Minimum 4 years industry experience (as in, post-grad).
+ Unity. Must know Unity. Like own mother.
+ Experience with building 2D platformers is an absolute must.
+ C#, obviously, and any other langauge you can throw in there.
+ Mobile publishing experience, as in from day 1 to post-publish support.
+ Experience with In-App purchases on both iOS and Android.
+ Tons of experience and know-how of Unity's 2D components (including UI).
+ Artistic experience would definitely be advantageous.

So, if you think you got what it takes, and you fit the bill above, drop us a line, and we'll drop you a slime.
Thanked by 1AngryMoose

Comments

• I'm curious: if you already have a working version of the game in Air, why are you porting it to Unity? Have you looked at stuff like Haxe and OpenFL? It can handle everything on your list, like IAP on iOS and Android, and the AS3 to Haxe port is super easy AFAIK, there's even an automated tool: https://github.com/HaxeFoundation/as3hx.
  • edited
    Nice opportunity!

I will say though that I doubt that you'll find *anybody* in the country with the experience that you are looking for (or even close to that, really) who isn't already working at/with another studio on something.

A more feasible option (actually, likely your only real possible option) may be for you to look at other studios around who are looking to take on contract work and have the ability and capacity to do this sort of thing.

It sounds right up Made With Monster Love's alley in terms of pipeline and experience, and there are also other CT based studios like Tasty Poison and Retro Epic who (from my understanding) also look at taking on additional contract game dev work. I'm sure there are half a dozen other small houses with the experience to do this kind of thing who would gladly like to take on the work. And that's not even counting studios in the Joburg or Durban areas.

It will likely cost you a premium compared to just getting someone off the street into your offices for a limited fixed period, but you're likely to get a much better result and much quicker... without the hassle, burden, and cost of hiring and maintaining someone in your studio.

Best of luck!
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, All valid points.

I think the short answer is we are looking to retain the skill if the fit is right. If we are unsuccessful we may have to consider outsourcing the dev to another production house or find someone abroad but its not our first choice.

With regards to SB2 we have a reasonably polished demo with a couple of good levels... Think its a much more polished demo since it was showcased at MakeGames... but it's by no means a finished game. We've taken the decision to port to unity now rather than later as we think we'll simply get a better result.

We're also looking to upskill the current staff and have another title once SB2 is complete in the pipeline. The other Title is a different genre of game all together, so it would be ideal for the candidate to help with the other project once complete with SB2. FYI we've already started on this and its gonna be seriously cool ;)

hope that makes sense and answers some q's...

Any interested applicants that think they have what it takes but may not meet the jobspec outlined should still apply!

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.