[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 28th January

edited in Events
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 28th January

City Varsity new campus, 18 Roeland Street, Cape Town.
"The new City Varsity is the red building on Roeland Street a 100 meters down from Kimberly Hotel, on the opposite side of the road from the Perspectives apartment block. "

Take note, there will be no free, provided food at this venue!

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda:
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)
- Quickfire GGJ feedback/reflection (10 min)
- Clockwork Acorn's First year of making games ~20 mins

- Focused Feedback (10 min slots) x3
- Lauging Ginjah trailer
- MindTrip Feedback

- Open Demo Floor

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

Indicate your attendance on the Facebook event !

Comments

• We'll be bringing as many tablets as we can find, loaded with our latest build of Desktop Dungeons, to see how people use the interface and try to make the game do what they want.

We may take notes.
  • @dislekcia: Looking forward to seeing the new DD build! Very wow. Much excite!

Would people be interested in a talk about Clockwork Acorn, giving an overview of our experience over our first year, and trying to give some pointers for anyone going down a similar path? I think we've learnt a great deal and I'm happy to share.
  • We'd like to show a trailer for Laughing Ginjah that we've been working on internally. We're looking for feedback with regards to whether we need to add written information/voice overs/etc.
    Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • I'll be there.

Old dungeon crawly / rogue-like (game is 10 years old) launching on Steam with luck the week after this meet.
    Initial launch will be the "current" (read 10 year old) version. Busy working on a modern update which will follow later this year as a DLC upgrade.

It's an old game, but I'll be happy to show anyone if there's interest, I might even have my arm twisted into handing out some early steam keys.
  • @Raxter wants to bring something on the occulus (I really should wait for him to post, but I'm too excited about whhat he's working on)
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • will be my first time
  • yes yes! It blatantly disregards many Oculus "highly recommended" usage rules and it'll blow your mind... slowly.

It's a winamp visulisation gone awesome and we need more ideas of how it would best be turned into a game.
    Thanked by 1MNRosa
  • I'm not sure if @Merrik is planning on saying anything but I would like to share some info from the Modern Alchemists meetup that happened last night :)
  • So @Merrik and I would like to show GunghoHippos on the QuadraButt on Wednesday as well, just afterwards so not a focused feedback session

HOWEVER, I would like to get a focus feedback slot for the project I've been working on at FreeLives, MindTrip. Right now it's a toy, a wonderful and pretty toy but with no gameplay. We have some ideas and we've tried and are trying things out but I would love to hear what people think and if anyone might have a cool idea for it.

Oh also... Oculus Rift enabled :>

Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • Cool! Neat collection of stuff for tomorrow!

For post meetup coolness, might some of you be interested in dropping in on the tail end of the Modern Alchemists meeting? It'd be a 10 min drive from City Varsity. There'd a neat collection of playtesters around, methinks.

Just a thought though :).
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • edited
    Pre-meetup meetup. Who's keen on an early dinner at Lefties? (Jem is much more fun to hang out with once he's had at least one beer and a decent helping of food). Paul's also joining...and possibly Brendon if he doesn't still have the plague.

Info: http://www.eatout.co.za/venue/leftys/

At about 5:30ish
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • could we have a jam feedback/debrief/summary session added to the schedule? I remember last year; we missed that because everybody seemed to automatically assume it would happen and then it didn't happen. I don't mind co-ordinating that.
  • If folks want to show off jam games, I feel after the talks and on private setups where everyone can take turns trying them out is ideal. In the past I've found having focused feedback for each and every jam game to be a painfully slow and dull process.
  • edited
    I would suggest that everyone who jammed have a single "I learned X" point that they've distilled from their jam experience, maybe? Then we can whip round the room relatively quickly?

Also, really keen to have everyone set up their jam games afterward: I didn't get time to try anything else during the jam itself :(
    Thanked by 2dammit EvanGreenwood
  • I'm going to apologise in advance, it looks like I'm going to arrive late as I'll only be able to leave Century City around 6pm :(
  • edited
    I think @dislekcia's idea would be the easiest and least painful solution? I'm not particularly sure what the value of a jam feedback session would be otherwise? :) For commenting on how the jam went and trying to improve it, or merely for reflecting on what everyone learnt? :)

Also, would you Cape Townians like to run a session reflecting on how the meetups run and suggestions for improvement? :) I feel this is something we should be doing at least once a year - it's something we'll do in Joburg next month.
  • I'm keen for that dinnery thing.
  • I did mean a general summary , focused feedback for each at this level would seem like disregarding people's time. the 'feedback' in my post was whole event feedback, not individual games. dislekcia's suggestion would fit this well.

now, how can we better cross-pollinate our learning between the two hub locales?
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • It looks like there might be load shedding for the first half hour or so. Let's hope there's windows! ^^"
    Thanked by 1damousey
  • @Mexicanopiumdog Great! See you there.

Invite is still open and we'll definitely be having dinner at Lefties for whomever would like to join us :)
  • I'm in town early so I'll probably join for dinner as well.
  • Ok, so I managed to get away early and I'm sitting working at Lefty's until the rest of you arrive for some grub ;)
  • Slight change of plan...we are eating at I heart my laundry. Free wine tasting
  • Thanks everyone for giving us some great feedback on the Ginjah Trailer.
  • Was awesome night, thanks all for their effort!

Cu all at AMAZE!!!!
  • edited
    That was a really cool meetup, there were a lot of rad games on show!

Also, I wanted to thank @francoisvn for his talk. It takes guts to stand up and present achievements that don't fit the mold of a classic success story, but that's also precisely why it's useful to hear, because the hard work that forms the foundation to great successes is often invisible, as no-one talks about it. So thank you. A really useful talk. And I'd also like to wish you good luck for 2015!
  • edited
    +1 What he said ↑
  • It was quite lekker, I'm definitely coming to more of these since my attendance last year was abysmal.
  • Thanks so much for the kind remarks, I'm glad I didn't bore everyone to death. I actually really enjoyed giving the talk, mostly cause everyone is always so nice :D

FYI: I plan to write up most/part of my talk as a short blog post, mostly for the Joburg people and others that weren't there. I just have to find some time to do that

PS: I'm glad I didn't get voted off like @damousey was joking ;P
  • Thanks everyone for such a rad night. It made me to write a blog post!

https://nomagicjustmagic.wordpress.com/2015/02/02/mgsa-meetup-jan-2015/
    Thanked by 2francoisvn clive