F: Morpher

Hi All,

It has been a VERY long time since I have made anything in the realm of game develpment, but when I saw that the game comps are making a return, and having recently completed studying (Completed my GCC for mechanical and electrical Engineering) I now have more free time to persue the fun stuff, and thus want to try and see if I can complete an entry for the Comp.

See the basic premis below:

Gameplay:
• Player has to guide small creatures to a safe location
• Various obstacles will be in the way
• Player has to construct passages, use tools or equipment to pass the obstacles.
Mechanics:
• Player controls the morphing tool
• Morphing tool can grab tiles from the world and add the tile to the inventory
• Morphing tool can place those items at any location in the world
• Morphing tool can merge tiles to create new tiles or tools (Think Terraria crafting)
• Not all tiles are destructible in the world
Tools or equipment:
• Ladders
• Launch pads
• Bridges
• Tunnels
• Portals
• Walls
• Traps
The building/breaking system would be a kin to Terraria, with a platformer/puzzle gameplay.

If any artist or sound engineer is interested in teaming up, give me a shout out.

Comments

• Sounds good. Keen to see it in action.
  • So, ive got a proto-type working. Basically you click on an object to "harvest it" click again to place it.

The crafting system works. Two wood items makes a ladder. Only item that can be made atm.

Just unzip and run the executable. Esc. closes the game.

Feedback welcome.
    zip
    zip
    Morpher.zip
    4M
  • looks good and works great so far :)
  • Here is an updated version. Now includes the character that you would control in the world. Small tweaks to the destruction/construction model.

Character can be moved with WASD or arrow keys.
    zip
    zip
    Morpher 0.2.zip
    4M
  • Hi, I have updated the game to include, right click destruction. Also added a "recycle bin" for the last destroyed object and the ability to pickup special items with the character.

This however will most likelly be my last upload, as I reached the 15 object limit for Game maker free, and I am not able to buy the full version at this time........ :/
    zip
    zip
    Morpher-Default-0.0.0.3.zip
    4M
  • edited
    Gah. Lemmings-meets-Terraria sounds great as a game concept. I would've liked to see this go further, since you seem to've got some good fundamentals going. :(

Are you sure you need 15 objects for what you're doing here? I'm sure you could get a very simple prototype with the "lemmings" and downscaled world-manipulation going with just 15 objects if you rework it a bit. For instance, unless you're already doing it that way, you could implement your HUD with a single object and a ton of manual draw calls. Perhaps lose a couple of tile types or extra UI elements in favour of elements core to the game? Forgive me, but I hate to see an interesting idea die when there are possible ways around it. :P
  • Thanks for the feedback Gazza_N.

Yeah, I have done some more work on this actually. I have dropped the "Specials" idea for the purposes of a demo, and will only be working on some crafted objects. I have reduced the object required as far as my programming expertice allows to enable me to make something playable. As always constraints always make you think more economically and is maybe for the best of the project anyway.

I am working on level design at the moments and I will still be updating this in the coming days.