People of Port Elizabeth...

Hi.

I'm in search to make some game development friends in PE. (rephrase * 20 #_#)
Maybe we can get together and create some games, or share and help out who ever wants to get into game dev.

I have programming experience 4 years +. Design, art, sound...
Would be nice to know people on the same wave... if that makes any sense...

**Jeez this post sounds uberly weird.. haha obviously didn't think it all the way through.. #_#

Just reply here or message me...

MJ

Comments

• Hey MJ,

I live in PE and have made a few game prototypes. Mostly in XNA/MonoGame and more recently Unity (I see you're into Torque3D?). I own RPG Maker VX Ace and GameMaker: Studio too, but have sadly never even looked at those for creating games, yet... I really should.

You can check out some of the discussions I started here on MGSA to view the prototypes or check them out here.

Nice to see another PE person here. :)

Cheers,
    Konrad

• Ahhh I thought I was the only one here from PE!... Great man!

That's a nice collection you have! I'm not that much into torque anymore, disliked TorqueScript, but other than that at the time I wanted to make use of it since they had some "Alpha/beta?" unsure... Linux client attempt thing... which didn't work so well in my case.. Anyways. I have used Unity, Panda3d(mostly), Polycode, UDK(Atm), Godot, XNA(Long ago)... I pref MIT based engines (Licensed)

Atm I am busy writing up the docs/idea/prototype for a game in UDK(well can be done in anything...) the only reason for udk is because they already wrote most of the stuff, so there is really no point in going with something else and rewriting them... but other than that not really busy with anything...

Thanks for the reply Ill check through the discussions.

Martin
    Thanked by 1konman
  • Hey guys, also based in PE. Happy to get together for a chat ;)
  • Hey ffz,

Nice to hear that! Yeah that would be awesome.
  • Hey Guys I'm also in PE. I am a first year student at NMMU. (Studying Bsc Computer Science). The University is busy with a Tower Defense Game. I just joined them. It's awesome to see that there are other people in PE with a passion for making Games. I have 2 years Java experience and have fiddled with Unity a bit. I am not experienced at all but I am willing to learn. The Tower Defense game is written in Java and they are using LibGDX with any IDE (Netbeans, IntelliJ, Eclipse). Would be cool to meet some of you guys. We could even have a Jam sometime in the future. I personally want to get into the Game Industry after I finish my Honors. (A big and probably unrealistic dream, But none the less still there). Nice to meet you all!
  • edited
    Hey Guys I'm also in PE.
    That's awesome man, we should do that, even a jam session would be great, beeeen long...very long..
    TD sounds pretty cool. Actually never thought about trying something like that...

• Guys we should come together sometime... Get some beers, maybe talk some Gamedev shit... or just chill... With UnrealE4 and Unity being so much more open now we could props make something simple. I pref UE4 atm but I'm open for Unity aswell...

MJ
  • If you guys organise a get-together in PE I'm sure MGSA can sponsor something towards drinks and snacks.
    Thanked by 1konman
  • Hi guys
    I am writing my 1st Semester exams in June (6-10 and then 22) so we can maybe get together somewhere between 12-20 June? Would like to meet like minded people with a passion for games. What do you guys say? will that Date slot suit most of you? From there we can decide on a final date and venue?
  • I'm off to Namibia for a bit but will be back in June. Happy to meet.
  • Hi guys.
    I'm also in PE. I'm a music teacher, so more into music and sound, but currently busy with a scale practicing game in Unity It's on the forum here. Even did a course in Wwise audio middleware a little while ago, so keen to get into the games side. Would be keen for help or a meetup.
  • edited
    @vintar PE's vaak. Nobody local wanted a position in their dream industry while it was available here. Perhaps PE students want to dream, not get jobs and do actual work while learning the ropes? ;) I remember how I was at your age, guys: Not very serious. But I'd have leapt at the opportunity to work on games in my hometown. Sadly, those opportunities did not exist in PE in '01, so my industry experience had to be gained abroad.

Anyway, the best I can offer latecomers is unpaid internship, and proficiency in C is a requirement even there. The game is a procedural world FPS/RTS/RPG. You'd need to be available regularly and willing to sign a confidentiality agreement. In return you would have a mentor (read: not someone for "talking shit" with) and I might get some production capacity out of you if you turn out to be any good. If you want to learn things they don't teach at college, drop me a line.
  • I agree, i think the idea is to maybe get together and meet new people with same interests. At this stage I see myself as a Hobbyist (And totally beginner at game development). Just so we can get to know the people that also have an interest in game development. I think that one can learn a lot from other people and If we have the chance or opportunity to meet cool people with similar dreams or ideals then why not?
  • Hi guys
    I am writing my 1st Semester exams in June (6-10 and then 22) so we can maybe get together somewhere between 12-20 June? Would like to meet like minded people with a passion for games. What do you guys say? will that Date slot suit most of you? From there we can decide on a final date and venue?
    That sounds good man, anycase I'm open for what ever date whenever... I'm always here.
    ffz said:
    I'm off to Namibia for a bit but will be back in June. Happy to meet.
    Nice sounds like fun,
    Fengol said:
    If you guys organise a get-together in PE I'm sure MGSA can sponsor something towards drinks and snacks.
    Sounds nice, but no need for now I guess... thanks tho.
    Hi guys.
    I'm also in PE. I'm a music teacher, so more into music and sound, but currently busy with a scale practicing game in Unity It's on the forum here. Even did a course in Wwise audio middleware a little while ago, so keen to get into the games side. Would be keen for help or a meetup.
    Awesome McCoy, I'd be keen to help where ever I can. And yeah for what mkShogun said I think between 12-20 June we can set something up, otherwise whenever really, I have a day job so I'm busy weekly 8am-5pm. other than that pretty free...
    I agree, i think the idea is to maybe get together and meet new people with same interests. At this stage I see myself as a Hobbyist (And totally beginner at game development). Just so we can get to know the people that also have an interest in game development. I think that one can learn a lot from other people and If we have the chance or opportunity to meet cool people with similar dreams or ideals then why not?
    Likewise here man, that be great just to get to know and have people to share ideas with, get help, give help.... and so on. I'm not really a beginner anymore but I'm no pro'nakatush... either.
    Like I mentioned above I think the date you gave should be fine?? Other wise anyone here just post here and lets get something set.

MJ

• Hi Everyone

Im a grade 11 learner at Pearson High School. As part of the activities we have to do this year, one is a work shadow. I really want to become a game designer and was wondering if a work shadow with someone would at all be possible.

I have some experience with programming in Java, Python, Delphi, C# and GML. I also have made a couple of very tiny games when I've been bored. I'm about to start on a much larger game using Game Maker.

It would be over the July school holidays if possible.

Thanks
    Tristan
    Thanked by 1konman
  • edited
    @TristanJ Perhaps let people here know what your school requires you to achieve by the end of this work-shadow process. This may then open up possibilities.
  • @NickWiggill
    Basically, I need to spend a couple of hours on one day just seeing what someone does.
  • edited
    @TristanJ Right. I assume you know that there is a difference between game design & development. The greatest proportion of the work of producing a game tends to consists of software development. Even many of the legendary designers (Peter Molyneux, Will Wright, Sid Meier, Julian Gollop, John Romero for example) come from a strong software development background, for this reason... then there are guys like Todd Howard (Elder Scrolls, Fallout) who don't do development work, but they work at the top of AAA titles with several hundred people doing development work under them... for smaller teams like we have in SA, this doesn't work, everyone must bring valuable production skills to the table . As long as that distinction is irrelevant to your work shadow process, you should be fine... as the high likelihood is that anyone you find developing games in PE is going to be heavily focused on programming rather than design tasks. What I'm saying is, "it's close enough". P.S. That's going to be a dull 2 hours per day unless you ask a lot of questions.

And from that perspective, you could just as well hook up with any software development house in PE and watch them do programming work ;) It would be a lot easier to arrange, though a bit less ideal.
    Thanked by 1TristanJ
  • @NickWiggill Thanks for the reply. I just reread my original message and realized that I was a bit unclear. I would like to go into development but to me anything that has to do with software/game development is alright for the work shadow.

I've sent out messages to a couple of other companies and I am currently waiting for a reply. But thanks again.
  • Helko everyone
    I would like to talk a bit about the gathering. I just want to know how many of you would be interested in a gathering so we can meat eachother. I think that it would be best to meet over a weekend since some of you may be working or writing tests. So i Propose ee do it on either Saturday (13 or 20 Jul). I would like to hear if this would suit most of you and would also like to hear suggestions on what time and where we could get together since I haven't been in PE that long (I originally come from George). I'm still keen, are you guys?
  • @mkShogun96 Hey man, Yeah sure I'm still keen on a get together. Both those dates are fine with me, time wise id say anything after 10-11am... But yeah where ever in PE is fine too... The only places that I know (or been at) is that pool city, Barney's, Pinelodge bar on the deck hmmm the driving range... not really ideal and a small pub in walmer next to the garage near that spur. Other than that hmm that one place in sunridge on that corner something goose i think... I dono really where ever. I'm still fairly new myself...
  • Wow, nice to see there's some local game developer interest here in PE again. I'd also be interested in meeting some locals and discussing game development, coding or just chats around modern games in general just for the LOL's.

Note: I use the term "modern", cause when you hit 40 plus you become self conscious about still loving games so much as I do. It's "normal" right?

Also some alcohol abuse might definitely be tolerated during proceedings if the opportunity presents itself. *erm* My lady only allows me to go out occasionally and it usually entails me leaving lots of flowers scattered about and forgetting my credit card on the kitchen counter on occasion... okay that is over-share, no?

I'm not much of an organizer... it seems that is what is lacking in our region? We need an *organiser* damnit!

My background FYI is 20+ years corporate software development with an insatiable thirst for all things game development.
    Add a dash of beautiful art and sound/music engineering, throw in some random generated anything and I am THERE... no skill too small, no opinion not considered.

I really hope an event manifests here in PE soon.
  • Hello guys, So I have been thinking about this meet up. Can I make the official date of the meetup on the Saturday 20th of June? we still need to get a venue or just some place to meet up. I don't think we will be doing anything formal, just to meet up, exchange contact info, maybe discuss some things like hosting our own game jam or having like Learning sessions or something along those lines and just to have a good time talking to like minded people. So what do you guys say? will the 20th work? We'll decide on a venue in the following week leading up to the 20th if you guys are keen. Please spread the word and see if you know other people that would be interested as well. Enjoy your evening hope your not Freezing as I am brrr...
  • edited
    Hey guys, Yeah 20th is fine with me. Set it in stone then! - @mkShogun96 The venue well; just decide on a place would be nice to get a place in the mid for all. I'm near Stanley street...
  • Hi Guys, the thing with the venue is firstly to ask ourselves what we want to do when we first get together. My impression was just to introduce ourselves to each other and get to know one another and exchange contact details and maybe talk about future meetings and just to have a good time together. So do we want to do this at place like for instance barneys or would you guys like to go to a place e.g. Nelson Mandela park and bring like your own snacks and cool drink and just kinda picnic it out? (I only mention these places as example since I am new to PE and live in Summer Strand and know that general area well). So please give some suggestions and a motivation why its a good venue if you want. Maybe so we can find a midway or something to get together.
  • @mkShogun96 Barneys sounds good everybody knows about it and since its going to be during the day, I'd guess they won't be to busy, and props no band playing so we can actually talk. I think that just a get to know exchange contact details and random talk would be the base of this "event". The park (if i have the correct one in mind) shouldn't be to far from that, which is good too. But yeah I haven't been to that park, and I dono about parking and stuff.. and so on... thats if i'm thinking about the one you named.... (I'll google it)
  • edited
    I've probably paid for the tertiary education of at least one of the children of the Barney's owners over the years... A few more pennies won't make any difference and I am quite curious to meet some local game devs/artists and discuss what games they play and projects they are currently working on... Barney's sounds good, I'm keen.
  • I'm also keen for Barney's. I'll add a google maps link so you guys can see where it is and then you can tell me if it suits most of you.
    https://google.com/maps/place/BARNEY%27S/@-33.980308,25.656984,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x43f3573a46af29a9

Will this work for everyone? And then we need to decide on a time as well. I was thinking anytime from 12? what do you guys say?
  • Hey guys, good yeah Barney's would be good and also around 12 sounds good.
  • Hey Guys so the meet up is tomorrow, Saturday 20th June 2015 @ 12:00 at Barneys. Hope to see you all there. Sorry if this wasn't completely finalized. Please give a reply as RSVP just so I can see how many people are coming. (just for interest sake) and I hope to.meeting a few of you and to nake some new friends :D P.S. You are welcome to bring along or invite anyone that you think also is into Game Development or has an Interest in it. Hope you guys are well and I'll see you Saterday
  • @mkShogun96 Awesome, I'll be there at 12 then.
  • edited
    @MJ_meo_dmt and @mkShogun96
    I'll drop by too. I must admit the summer sale on Steam is really trying very hard to make me a recluse this year... as I have a playlist the length of the great wall of China to get through. I'll leave the new games bought today for Sunday though... looking forward to that ice cold draft beer and meeting the MGSA PE peeps ...

PS: I hope @FFZ is back from NAM and can make it...
    PPS: And @NickWiggill... this is your chance to meet some potential candidates to maybe assist with that interesting sounding FPS/RTS/RPG? :)
  • How will we know who's who??
  • @MJ_meo_dmt Thanks man. I really enjoyed that. The weather was sunny and the beer cold. Good chatting to you. You have some good game dev ideas there...we should collaborate sometime. A shame more people didn't pitch up.
  • Hey @konman ! Yeah likewise, thanks really enjoyed it! We should indeed collaborate sometime.

@mkShogun96??? we missed you?
  • Hi Guys, really sorry I missed it. I had an Emergency with my friend and hat to take him to the Hospital. I was really sad to miss it. I'm so sad that I missed it. Can you guys maybe just contact my via email so I can get your contact details or just whatsapp so we can maybe arrange a next meeting? Next month?? (july after the semester break) I really really would like to meet you guys!

I feel that this was very unprofessional of me but the situation could not be helped. (my friend had a severe stomach problem and had to be booked in till today, but he is fine now.).

Hope you enjoyed it and got to talk about a few things. Really hope to meet you guys soon.

P.S. The 25th of July Derivco is hosting a Game Jam at NMMU, free entry and they supply Pizza. Just go to their website at derivco.com/ to apply.
  • @mkShogun96 No problems man, glad his okay.

Sure we could and should setup another meeting, was great speaking to a like minded person.
  • @mkShogun96 & @konman : Are we going to setup another meeting? Could even do one tomorrow, or next weekend.
  • @MJ_meo_dmt I'm keen. Next weekend suits me better...
  • Hey @konman, I won't be able to make it this weekend. Not that we set anything in stone yet. But yeah, it would also be nice if other people could join in... next time.. But yeah just wanted to let you know.
  • @MJ_meo_dmt Cool no prob, thanks for letting me know.
  • Hi, sorry I was in George for the vacation. I will be returning tomorrow with my parents for the last week of vacation. Maybe we can meet up the coming Saturday? (18 July) I was very sad that I did not make it to the previous meeting. would like to meet you guys. Let me know if it suits you guys?
  • looks like it is a no go. Let me know when an open date comes up that we can use to host another get together. Would really like to meet you guys.
  • @mkShogun96 Sorry I was moving over the weekend. We could setup something for the coming weekend... 25th or so or whenever...
  • edited
    I am participating in Derivco's Slice of Source Game On! Challenge. It will be held on the 24th and it will be an 18 hour Hackathon where we have to make a game. I am very excited so maybe the weekend thereafter? (Saturday 1st of August) - "what a nice date too haha ;)"
  • Hi guys I'm new to the forum, been reading your old posts its nice to know there's a band of game developers around. I'm a student at NMMU and as a final year project we're doing a 2d platformer game and open to ideas or suggestions you guys might have. Taking part in the Derivco Hackathon on Fri hopefully will bump into some of you there.
  • I'm in grahamstown not PE, but would be keen to meet some more game devs, perhaps we can organize on a Saturday or Sunday in 3 or 4 weeks time to just meet up somewhere and be social? (Something informal, bring games, have a beer, etc)

Can bring some game devs from here with, and need to watch people trying my new projects :3
    Thanked by 1konman
  • @The5bu Hi and welcome to MakeGamesSA and the PPE(People of Port Elizabeth) thread. :) I will be attending the Hackathon on Fri, but I'm only a first year student. I'm very new to Game Programming and only know some basic coding that I have done via Unity. I also made a 2D platformer with the help of the Brackeys YouTube Channel. I hope to see you There! (btw my name is Carl. I am short with Brown hair and a Beard. Should make me easier to spot :D)
  • edited
    Hey guys, @The5bu welcome!, @edg3 that sounds great we should do that.

@mkShogun96 next weekend sounds good to me, so we can setup a little meeting again same place same time or whatever fits. I don't mind. Goodluck at the Hackaton!

PS. If any of you want to just hangout or chat anytime (most during the day) I'm always on our IRC channel.
    Server: irc.freenode.net
    Channel: #grimfang

*use a irc client like Hexchat (both linux and windows)