Greenlit, now what?

So I recently got greenlit :), now comes the task of setting up vat and getting a build ready for Steam.

I've obtained the W-7 and 8233 Form. My first question is how long does the entire process take after sending the documents to the IRS?

I also don't really have the need to integrate Steamworks, is this a requirement though?

Lastly, I'm using Unity Free, does Steam require a Unity Pro version build?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• edited
    Hey, grats and good luck! :)
    I've obtained the W-7 and 8233 Form. My first question is how long does the entire process take after sending the documents to the IRS?
    If you're applying for an ITIN, I suggest you maybe skip it and rather apply for an EIN. The process is much quicker and can be done on the phone. They have a toll-free number so you can just use Skype. Can be done in under an hour.
    I also don't really have the need to integrate Steamworks, is this a requirement though?
    Not at all needed.
    Lastly, I'm using Unity Free, does Steam require a Unity Pro version build?
    Steam doesn't, no, but if you have a runaway hit and suddenly make a bucketload of cash, Unity might require you upgrade to Pro. I believe it's somewhere in their terms.
  • Can I make commercial games/content with Unity Personal Edition?

Yes, if you meet the requirements to use Unity Personal Edition, mainly, that you did not earn/receive more than $100,000 in revenue/funding in the last fiscal year. Please refer to our Software License Agreement for further information.
    From the Unity FAQ
  • Thanks for all the help :)
  • Got my EIN and set up the final phase for Steam. Is there a wait before the "Welcome to Steamworks" section to confirm my details or should I have seen a proceed button after "Enter Payment Info"?
  • Ok, so I just read I might have to wait a while. How long did you guys have to wait for this step?
  • That's great!

As for the wait, I'm not sure. Things have also changed since we first got onto Steam.
  • Any other VAT indie game devs subjected to in SA?
  • It says a maximum of 30 days. Though i doubt it will take that long
  • I read somewhere the IRS takes a max of 2 weeks...
  • Ugh, this is a time consuming process, not as much the doing as the waiting though..

So I got approved and access to the Steam partner site. Set up my page etc. but now I have another question.

I'm using Unity so I have included DirectX, .Net3.5 and VC2012. This raises the download size quite significantly considerng the size of the game on its own. Do I really need to include all these?
  • Include whatever the game needs to run. You really don't want people complaining that the game doesn't run simply because some pre-requisites were left unchecked ;)
  • Ok, sad though. The game is zipped 15MB, packaged with Steam and pre-requisites it's 356MB...
  • We didn't include any redists in Desktop Dungeons other than the ones Unity bundles automatically. Haven't had any issues.

Except for Linux. Because Linux is shit.
  • So I've just launched :)
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/356880/

Ditto on the linux being shit. Already had a complaint :(

Thanks for all the help guys, I must say, I was heavily intimidated by the entire process, but it was actually quite easy. So to anyone else out there looking to make a game, getting on Steam has become a lot easier! I think we should be seeing the "new self-publishing system" pretty soon...
  • One last thing, do I need an EULA?
  • @redsplatgames Are you doing anything out of the ordinary with user data? If not, not really.
  • @LexAquillia does Steam require one though?
  • Thanks. Does the .x86 Linux file launch the game on Linux when double-clicked? Or is this handled differently?
  • @LexAquillia does Steam require one though?
    No.

The fact that it's got your game marked with "requires third party EULA" and that's not visible on other games is maybe a clue? ;)
  • I actually noticed that :) but during my submission process there was an error when I did not have an EULA.
  • So yeah, thanks for all the help :) Doubt I'd be on Steam without all the help from the community :D
  • @dislekcia Regarding Steam Linux builds, for the Launch option, do I point to the .x86 file? I'm having some complaints from Linux users..
  • @dislekcia Regarding Steam Linux builds, for the Launch option, do I point to the .x86 file? I'm having some complaints from Linux users..
    We wrote up what we'd learned: So you want to make a linux build with Unity
  • Nice post, very informative, thanks :)
  • Setting up these "pages" are a real annoyance. I haven't even touched my Xoi San page. Mostly because i'm doing a re-branding and name change before initial launch... and also... how could there possibly be even more paper work :(
  • In retrospect, I should have done the same. People seem to go apeshit for trading cards :)
  • They do. Every little bit helps imo. Even if trading cards just attracts 10 players. Thats at-least an extra pack of sweeties
  • If doing the work to get your game out to people isn't rewarding, then either you don't really care that much about the game, or you don't think it's going to get out to many people. Both of those are signs that you might want to spend some quality time considering working on something else OR changing your goals with your projects.

QCF was super excited to make our Steam pages for Desktop Dungeons. That shit was magical.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Just wanna say Congrats dude. It's been very interesting following the journey :)
  • "Shit Was Magical" is my new band name.
  • Meh, I'm not enjoying the process of setting up Steam/Humble/Forums all the rest. I think this is because in my mind, the game is not done and I'm doing it out of duress (ie I'd rather be working on the game than dealing with busywork). Can only imagine that part of the magic of setting up steam pages was the knowledge that the summit of the mountain was near ;)
  • @TheFuntastic: Then why are you doing it now?
  • dislekcia said:
    If doing the work to get your game out to people isn't rewarding, then either you don't really care that much about the game, or you don't think it's going to get out to many people. Both of those are signs that you might want to spend some quality time considering working on something else OR changing your goals with your projects.

QCF was super excited to make our Steam pages for Desktop Dungeons. That shit was magical.

Yes. Correct. However... admin work... is not working on a game. Its admin work. Everyone loves a party. No one likes cleaning up afterwards.
  • Because money and stuff. We need a way so that people can pay us money and we can carry on working on the game. Hell even setting up the kickstarter was mountains of busywork. Most of it not fun at all. Contracts, identity verification, trying to figure out international tax and not getting any conclusive answers. But I'm glad you managed to find joy in that ;)