Hosting MakeGamesSA venue in CT

edited in Events
Hi guys,

I have been given notice that the owners of City Varsity no longer want any events to be held at the campus by anyone who is not a City Varsity Staff member or Student. Even though I have been at all the events, this is not enough, MakeGames is it's own entity and is not under the banner of City Varsity and for this reason, I cannot host it anymore.

I can't say I fully understand the reasons for this, but what does need to be done is to find a new venue for the next MakeGamesSA event at the end of this month.

Needless to say I am very sad to not be able to offer the space anymore.

Donovan
Thanked by 1dammit

Comments

• edited
    (Is this Cape Town? Or PE? Just asking because I thought we are all Microsoft hosted in jozi and CT)
  • I've been to a few CTFEDS meetups hosted at the 22seven offices in town; maybe they'd be keen to host?
  • edited
    @Tuism, the CT crowd had to find a new venue when they got too big for the Microsoft office (the office is a lot smaller than JHB)

@Donovan, thank you for all your support and generosity so far and I hope you'll personally continue to come to the meetings, wherever they are.

I know @Lexaquillia had a couple of other options available but he's currently indisposed while his wife is giving birth to their 1st child, and @dislekcia, I think, is still out of the country and with limited bandwidth.

I will follow up this week with an alternative venue for CT.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Oh wow.

First up, huge thanks to @Donovan for organising the City Varsity venue and even getting pizza last meetup, much appreciated! I hope you (and the City Varsity students) keep coming to wherever our new venue is once we get one set up.

I'm still out of the country right now, so I'm not sure what to do about this at the moment. Suggestions and ideas welcome, perhaps we should hit up CITI and see what they might be able to offer in terms of space?
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • As a stopgap solution I could probably organise a sufficient space for us at the Stellenbosch University Engineering Dept. Obviously not ideal for the Cape Town crowd, so it will probably be a last resort, but I'll send some emails today to confirm the possibility.

So yeah, not an ideal solution, but its on the table.
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • Bandwidth Barn has offered us their facilities. I'll chase up and post back
    Thanked by 3dammit Riocide damousey
  • I realise it's kind of Bandwidth Barn to offer their space, but is there any way to ensure safe parking? That area is dodgy at the best of times and I'm not sure I'm comfortable leaving my car there and also just arriving on my own.
  • Hi Guys

What about having meetings at UCT upper Campus? Some make games events and game jams have been held there.
  • n1c said:
    I've been to a few CTFEDS meetups hosted at the 22seven offices in town; maybe they'd be keen to host?
    I DEFINITELY think it's a possibility that the CTFED guys would be able to host. I've been to one of their meetups and also know one of their organisers. Should I enquire?
  • I DEFINITELY think it's a possibility that the CTFED guys would be able to host. I've been to one of their meetups and also know one of their organisers. Should I enquire?
    It sounds like the CTFED group doesn't have their own space, seeing as they're being hosted by 22seven? I have some pretty strong contacts with 22seven, if we're short on space I could ask them if they'd be interested in hosting in their theatre... I've been holding back on this until I get back to SA.
  • The peeps from Modern Alchemists have suggested that we can use Miao (which has a projector and stuff) for the meetup purposes. It's a little more out the way, being in sea point, so I'm not sure how everyone feels about this.
  • Miao could totally work. Do you think we'd fill the venue entirely? That would be awesome :)
  • @dislekcia - It's pretty big, so we'd need to do a lot to do that :P I'll let Ross and Robyn know
  • Um. Not sure why things are confirmed for Miao on FB now? I thought it was just being added to the list of possible spots...

Also, isn't the usual meetup time going to clash with Modern Alchemists?
  • @dammit / @dislekcia

Can we confirm a venue please?

It seems unlikely that we can confirm any venue other than Miao so close to the date?
  • edited
    I think we're going with confirmed. At least for this month it will work out and then we can decide from there. I was apparently a bit hasty in assuming @dislekcia had confirmed and spread the word on Facebook already :P Next month, I'll leave it up to Nick to decide.

PS: the modern alchemist group are super excited that we'll be there, so cannot disappoint them now either ;)
  • Are we going to post people at City Varsity to redirect stragglers/latecomers to Miao?
  • Probably a good idea.
  • Cool - can you two organise that? :)

I'm going to put down Miao as the venue.1