[LEVEL DESIGN VID-SPAM] Mario 3D World's 4-step philosophy to level design

edited in General
Saw this, thought it was really nifty :)

Youtube code: dBmIkEvEBtA

Basically, their level design philosophy focuses on introducing players to new mechanics organically, based on the four steps of:

1) Safety
2) Fleshing out
3) Subversion
4) Conclusion

Simplicity is often the hardest to achieve, and this is so simple when you hear it but it's one of those things that are really hard to achieve consistently.

Comments

• edited
    Then I discovered that this guy (Mark Brown) does a whole series called the Gamemaker's Toolkit and they're pretty good!

This one's about Toki Tori 2 - a Metroidvania that's designed not by limiting the player's ability to access places with abilities - but with KNOWLEDGE. Whoooooa :)

Youtube code: 084BUNlI7Gk
  • edited
    Related: Found another guy Snowman 6aming that talks about Good Game Design. This video is about good level design that teaches without words - yes we've heard this before, but he uses more modern examples - Shovel Knight and 140 (I haven't played either, Shovel Knight is especially on my to-play list because I've heard so much about it)

Youtube code: cYvPdEyTXUc

Guess this is now a level design vid-spam thread :P
  • For some reason i cant play the videos in Makegamessa .....it just loads and loads but youtube videos on Youtube.com i can play with ease...What is going on??? Could you please post the links aswell for unfortunate ppl like myself.
  • Wow thanks for sharing this is really interesting!
  • Sonicay said:
    For some reason i cant play the videos in Makegamessa .....it just loads and loads but youtube videos on Youtube.com i can play with ease...What is going on??? Could you please post the links aswell for unfortunate ppl like myself.
    Not sure what to do... can you right click on the video and get url? because these URLs are automatically turned into youtube embeds - I just pasted the links, nothing special was done to make them embeds on my end!
  • This is really helpful, thanks for sharing