How to Manage..

Hey guys I have recently finished school and just scored my first job,which is great right...but the thing is,Its not game development. I don't have much time anymore and don't have much resources in order to carrying on with my dream.I would just like to know from your side,if any of you have been in the same position,and what you did when you got there....I still do want to become a game programmer,I just don't know what to do next.

Comments

• Do it part-time.
    I have a job where i get at home at 7pm and then go to gym till 8pm and i still design stuff for our game at that time.
    Just cut back on playing games, watching TV and series and get to it.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    There's a guy here where I work who works as a game artist from about 9:30-5:30 every day, while studying a BSC Com Sci at UNISA full time, and working on contract games on the side (Vietnam '65 specifically), and still having a girlfriend, going to Oppi, and watching anime and movies.

I realise that everyone's situation is different, but I really think that if you're disciplined about your time management, you can fit all of that in. Many people waste hours every day on social media and watching TV/series. I think it's worth spending a week where you try to write down what you're spending your time doing in your day, honestly and accurately. It's enlightening!

He recommended a book to me called "Eat that Frog!", which I gather is a book about training yourself to do what must be done, immediately, rather than making excuses and finding that you don't have time to do what you claim you want to do.

I believe if you want it really badly, you can totally learn to make games before or after work, or during your lunch hour, or whenever. :)
  • There's a guy at here who works as a game artist from about 9:30-5:30 every day, while studying a BSC Com Sci at UNISA full time, and working on contract games on the side (Vietnam '65 specifically), and still having a girlfriend, going to Oppi, and watching anime and movies.

I realise that everyone's situation is different, but I really think that if you're disciplined about your time management, you can fit all of that in. Many people waste hours every day on social media and watching TV/series. I think it's worth spending a week where you try to write down what you're spending your time doing in your day, honestly and accurately. It's enlightening!

He recommended a book to me called "Eat that Frog!", which I gather is a book about training yourself to do what must be done, immediately, rather than making excuses and finding that you don't have time to do what you claim you want to do.

I believe if you want it really badly, you can totally learn to make games before or after work, or during your lunch hour, or whenever. :)
    It's funny what you can fit into your life when you decide that it matters.

If you want to get into game development, then it matters to you and you'll happily do that in your spare time (without it feeling like a "sacrifice" of your time). And you'll get to live your dream later. There's no way to get there without hard work and time.

I've also personally found the more I do, the more I have time to do. Currently working full time, picked up some small side work for extra cash and am writing my masters proposal...while still actually enjoying more of a social life than I expected I would be able to. My sister also worked full time while studying her undergrad degree through UNISA. She'd get dragged to the pub with her bf on weekends and just take her books with her. It is about discipline.

If you want to get something done, give it to a busy person to do.
  • Thanks guys for the support,I feel better knowing it can be done and i guess I will just have to try even harder at it..
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Great, good luck! :)