Game for DJ Euphonic! Skilled HTML 5 programmer needed. (Pay: + R10 000)

edited in Jobs
(The clients are looking for someone soon. So this job offer will only be up till the end of the week)

It needs to be in HTML 5 so it can go up on a portal and be played easily from any device (Computer/Phones) without having to download the game.

This is for money as well as exposure.

The game for Euphonic is a great opportunity for anyone keen to give it a go. With a huge fan base, you'll have a lot of people playing your game easily without having to do any of the promotion.

The game will be simple. Gutair hero style with only one song. Its meant to keep the players interest for the length of the song (+-3 minutes) then let them go.

Another guy on here, made a similar game in 2 days for Doritos I think it was....Wow awesome!
Although it lacked visual greatness and sharpening which is only because of the time constraint. If he had more time it would of been even more bad-ass!

I will supply visuals.

Pay: + R 10 000 (Low, I know. But its debatable once you get in front of the clients
Project deadline: +- 2 months (Can be done in a week if your experienced)

Please comment below if you are interested and we can talk. :)

Comments

• Probably quite important to help you attract potential programmers that you indicate in your post whether it is a paying job, or whether the offer is just for 'exposure' which shouldn't be treated as a primary incentive especially if the client (guessing Euphonik is the client in this case) will be paying for the game and/or users need to pay to play it (though by the sounds of it this will be freely available to play via the mentioned portal).

If it's more of a fun collaborative project with no money involved from either side that's also cool but then also worth indicating so people know upfront. :)
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Cool thanks Gibbo, edited the post. :)

Thanked by 1Gibbo
  • edited
    When you say +- R10000, did you know that the minimum cost of games is $35000(R380000) . . . So if I have to build this game sacrificing two months of my life for this peanuts salary to make some celebrity more famous. It will seem better for any programmer to spend time on their own projects rather than slave for some celebrity and not rip the fruits

What I'm saying is that people like us spend our entire lives practicing our craft. Even programmers who build simple database or cloud apps will will never accept such little salary. Noting that games are specialized apps and its extremely hard to make games. I think you should have made your research first on how much games cost before making your post.
  • Yeah, R10k for 2 months of a junior HTML5 programmer, let a lone a 'skilled' one is definitely on the very low end of the spectrum. Any HTML5 dev out there worth his salt who can likely do what you're looking for is going to have a full time gig paying at least R15k if not R20k+ per month.

Now, if perhaps the dev work you're talking about is scoped in a manner that could allow for after hours, part time dev work that takes place in that two month period (with it not actually requiring two man-months of work!), then that could potentially be a different proposition to devs here entirely. Perhaps discussing the game scope and requirements somewhat would allow potentially interested parties to judge if what you are looking for would be worth their while?

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that you posted a job opportunity here as it is great for the community to potentially give a chance to someone who is looking for extra work or to build up their experience / portfolio. As well, this sort of thing helps to increase the sense of available game development work out there which is always great for us a community to feel how much the industry is growing locally!
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • SkinnyBoy said:
    When you say +- R10000, did you know that the minimum cost of games is $35000(R380000)
    That's an interesting number. Where did you get it?

(Not challenging, just wondering where it comes from)
  • SkinnyBoy said:
    When you say +- R10000, did you know that the minimum cost of games is $35000(R380000) . . .
    Wow that would be awesome! Your right we slave away, loosing our minds, smacking the walls, crying and bleeding for our art.

The idea is relatively simple (Will update above shortly after I've asked the clients to raise the price).

2 Months is the end deadline. But If a skilled programmer comes on board it could be done in a week. A junior maybe just a month.

• Unfortunately they are not budging on price. But everything is debatable. If you're interested you can have the opportunity to debate the price yourself. Explaining everything that goes into the game.

But it is a simple idea. Yes if it was a 3D game with all the bits and bobs. That took 2 years to make and kept the player entertained for weeks, then yes. Even more than R 380 000 would be required, perhaps close to R 500 000, even more!

But this game is going to be so small that you wouldn't be working enough hours to get that amount. Besides you would only need that amount if you were paying a bunch of people salaries over those years, plus rent and water and lights on the building, plus costs for licences, etc...

This is just a one programmer, one artist project.
  • I'd just like to point out... This is what happens when a bad scope is presented to people.

Telling people the work will be 2 months = it's going to take two months of 9-5, and for R10000, that's really really bad.
    If you can tell people you need X hours from them, and this is how much we'll pay, that would at least get a reasonable response.
    If you can't tell people X hours, then you need to tell them what the work entails so that they can tell you how long it might take.

If you can't do that, then telling people this work is worth X money, you'll have to settle for "I can work X hours for that money".

I realise that it's not entirely NDDDave's fault for not having a scope, but it's not everyone else's fault for not being able to feedback without scope either.
  • This is the first time I'm doing this. (Mediation) Learning a lot, thanks Tuism.

Not sure how long it will take because it depends on the programmer but the deadline is +-2 months.

Game details:
    - 1 song.
    - 4 lanes dropping Euphonic's symbols that when they hit the end point and the player presses he/she would be tapping to the beat of the song, adding to the score.
    - Increase score by adding combo's attached to successful taps. Missing a symbol reduces combo to 0.
    - Images in the backdrop, Euphonic, crowd, speakers, stage light, will all simply bounce to the general beat with a small repeat loop.

So anyone interested, please comment below on how long this game would take you to code with your price request. (Hourly rate)

• So basically you want a Guitar Hero type of game within 2 months?
  • edited
    Since it also needs to work on mobile devices, some degree of testing will be required. Audio is an infamous problem on mobile with HTML5, if I'm not mistaken, due to the varying levels of support across devices.

It sounds simple enough. I don't have a bunch of devices to test on, but I'm interested. I've sent you a PM.
  • Yes but only one song. As above a guy on these forums made something like this in 2 days (Unsure of the program he used)
    In Unity, I'm confident I could get something out in 2 weeks, but Unity's WebGL plugin is not functional on all browsers.
    And I'm guessing HTML 5 is going to take longer because it's just code and code and code and code, right? (Also not sure)
  • Krummelz said:
    Since it also needs to work on mobile devices, some degree of testing will be required. Audio is an infamous problem on mobile with HTML5, if I'm not mistaken, due to the varying levels of support across devices.

It sounds simple enough. I don't have a bunch of devices to test on, but I'm interest. I've sent you a PM.
    Thanks, I've replied.

The cool thing is the client says the song to tap doesn't have to be perfect. She understands that it won't be perfect on all devices so if the sound is off slightly on some devices that's fine.

• Nice little project Thanks for posting! I hope you find someone!

Unfortunately, I don't know HTML5, myself or I'd have been tempted. ;)
    Thanked by 2AngryMoose mattbenic
  • Game details:
    - 1 song.
    - 4 lanes dropping Euphonic's symbols that when they hit the end point and the player presses he/she would be tapping to the beat of the song, adding to the score.
    - Increase score by adding combo's attached to successful taps. Missing a symbol reduces combo to 0.
    - Images in the backdrop, Euphonic, crowd, speakers, stage light, will all simply bounce to the general beat with a small repeat loop.
    Sounds doable for a moderately skilled dev to get done in an amount of time that would make R10k worth their while. I hope you find someone, HTML5 seems to be a rare skill in this community, the focus is very heavily on GameMaker and Unity for obvious reasons :)
    Thanked by 1AngryMoose
  • Haha I'm already tempted, I know html 5, I use unity 5 which have WebGL/HTML 5. Money is not an issue. Its best to get back up there and replace skilled HTML 5 programmer with something that suits 10k I guess
  • We do games in Game Maker Studio, and can do it for HTML5 in this engine.
    But yes your budget is not enough for the scope,
    assuming even you supply the music track and the art and programming and testing is done, your minimum budget should be R30 000/month to make it work any developer time in South Africa, the reasonable quote on this is R60 000. You will probably get it done for R10 000 on elance, or odesk (upwork), but remember you get what you pay for.

By the way what happened, did you get someone?
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog