For Unity Developers with Web Players. New Chrome breaks the Unity Webplayer.

edited in General

Comments

• Related to this, I'm curious to know how many people have tried the HTML5 export, and how ready that is to take the plugin's place. TBH retiring the plugin system has been long overdue (it's buggy, very often just doesn't run) but I understood the biggest holdup to be the immaturity of Unity's HTML5 tech, has that changed?
  • No Idea @mattbenic we dont use the web build often. We plant to test the HTML5 but less for game and more as a possible way of bringing some live functionality to a web site. Server availability ranking stuff like that.
  • edited
    @mattbenic Not ready at all.
    I tried to convert Cluster to it and it was just a major uphill battle. You have to build your game from the ground up with html5 in mind. At least for now and in my experience. The minimum build size is also way larger than the plugin was. And the compile time is extremely long. It takes like 4 minutes for me to compile the game compared to 8 seconds on the web player plugin.

Its just not there yet. That being said it does a lot of stuff right and if you think about the massiveness of the engine thats running in your browser its actually pretty darn good.

*Edit* Audio is also a bitch.
  • Thanks @Kobusvdwalt9, good to know. I haven't seen any comment from Unity about it so far, it'll be interesting to see how they respond.