[Project] Spell-Caster (Working Title)

edited in Projects
Guess it's about time I transition this from a prototype to full project status and get some more hands on it, so here goes.

As the design stands at the moment, Spell-Caster is a light/casual RPG with a spelling based combat system. As the player navigates the environments they'll encounter enemies which they'll battle by forming words from a (mostly) random grid of letters. The battles take place in real-time which puts pressure on the player to make words as fast as possible. The levels will be procedurally generated and I'm not sure what the meta-game is going to be at the moment. Different enemies will have different attacks and abilities which may alter the board state. The player will also find new abilities as they progress. A lot of this may change, but that's the general direction anyway.

Much of the art is placeholder (as you can see) since I'm still trying out ideas and working out exactly what this is going to be and how it's all going to work.

Playable Builds:
Windows
Web

Here's a link to the original prototype's thread: makegamessa.com/discussion/2849/prototype-word-game-rpg-thing

I'd really appreciate any and all feedback - even if you don't like it. ;) Want to make this the best it can be so I need all the play-testing I can get.

More screenies:
image image
image image

Comments

• Looks really pretty! Will give it a try next week.
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • edited
    I love it!

My thoughts:

It would be cool if letters that enemies are weak against are highlighted, also I think there needs to be a stronger visual indication of when you get first strike. At first I thought it wasn't possible and then it just sort of happened, which was anti-climatic for me. Maybe a differently colored particle effect when you collide with them?

I also think effects like screen shake (and related juice) should happen in differing levels of intensity, proportional to spell length. Games like Hearthstone uses this to great effect.

Sound would really add a lot to this prototype, even small effects like footsteps would make this prototype feel a lot more polished, recommend giving a shout out to @Tim_Harbour on that front.

Edit: just realised that this game has another thread :/ could you place a link in the OP for poor souls like me who might have missed it?
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • edited
    @Stray_Train Thanks for the feedback :)
    It would be cool if letters that enemies are weak against are highlighted
    That's a good idea. Would you expect the letters to be highlighted in the grid or only after they've been put into a word?
    I think there needs to be a stronger visual indication of when you get first strike. At first I thought it wasn't possible and then it just sort of happened, which was anti-climatic for me. Maybe a differently colored particle effect when you collide with them?
    There is actually a different coloured particle effect at the moment. Clearly that's not strong enough. :/ When you say you thought first stike wasn't possible, do you mean you didn't know how to trigger it? Were you trying to trigger it and it didn't work as you'd expected? If so, how?
    I also think effects like screen shake (and related juice) should happen in differing levels of intensity, proportional to spell length. Games like Hearthstone uses this to great effect.
    Definitely in the roadmap :)

Sound is something I'm holding myself back from at the moment until I'm happy with the direction of the whole game. It's one of those things that, when done properly, makes everything feel WAY better, but if it's half done it makes a product feel less polished that if it had no sound, in my experience. But, yeah, I agree it feels pretty flat and empty without it.

Edit: Oh geez! Forgot about adding the link to the original thread. Thanks!

• This has come along quite nicely!

My favourite thing was definitely uncovering new enemy cards. It adds a sense of progression because it makes you feel like you're getting better/stronger. I wonder if you could randomise the enemy stats on each run? One level skeletons might be strong against N, the next they might be strong against R. I think that would add a lot more re-playability.

The dungeon crawling is pretty nifty, and certainly gives the fights some context. I imagine that it'll feel a lot more interesting once their are different enemies and items in the world. Because at the moment there aren't many decisions to make. They key system is cool though. Gauntlet does a similar thing but often has more doors than keys, forcing you to make some choices which can be fun.

Right now, the thing I'd most love to see is just more enemy types (and maybe items). The fun part is trying to come up with words to exploit enemy weaknesses. I wan't to discover more interesting weaknesses and exploit them. I want that feeling.

I think you could definitely come up with some enemy designs that try and force you to play in a different/interesting way. For example:

- An enemy that takes no damage from words longer than three letters, forcing you to find as many words as quickly as possible.
    - An enemy that is only vulnerable for a short window at regular intervals. Effectively enforcing a maximum time you can spend looking for a word, lest you miss the window.
    - An enemy that does a devastating attack every five words to incentivize taking your time and making sure you win in under five words.
    - An enemy whose attacks are high damage, but the next one is nullified by a three letter word, also it takes no damage from three letter words. So you've got to play a defensive word, and then an offensive one.
    - An enemy who takes critical damage if you use the same word more than once in a battle. This incentivizes trying to remember your words, or make words that are easy to repeat.

Beyond that, in terms of the direction of the combat system, here are some ideas off the top of my head. Hopefully you can find something useful in them.

- Different spells: For example, use two vowels in a row to cast a poison spell. Perhaps you could find these in chests?
    - Status effects: Maybe an enemy could take double damage whilst poisoned? Maybe you could slow their attack rate, or apply a dodge chance?
    - Different items: Perhaps you could deploy a shield as a once off item before an enemy attack? Or drink a potion that grants your next attack life steal?
    - Passive items: Maybe something grants you dodge chance, or health regen, or fire damage, or 25% more vowels etc.
    - Parts of speech: I don't know if this information is readily available, but it would be cool if certain enemies were vulnerable to nouns, or something to that effect.
    - Board altering: Perhaps an enemy attack could change some tiles into half damage tiles? Or maybe you could cast a spell that highlights three random letters that form a deadly combo if they can be used together.

For the meta-game, I think some standard RPG/hack 'n slash elements would go down well. You could introduce some risk/reward systems for exploring. Eg. "I can see that fancy special chest over there, it's probably got an awesome item, or spell in it. But unfortunately it's defended by ghouls, and I'm not very good against ghouls. Maybe I'll come back when I stand a better chance, or maybe I should just risk it now?".

What I think might work well is having a very limited inventory for battles, and allowing the player to choose what they take in. Eg. "I'm fighting a dragon now, so I'm going to take my freeze spell (dragons are weak against ice). And I'll take the amulet of double vowel damage (that's always useful), and finally I'll take the big shield just in case he tries that crazy fireblast attack that dragons have."

Anyway, I like where this is going. I found this version quite compelling, and it's polished as hell (as always).

Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • @squidcor
    Awesome. Thanks. A lot of cool ideas there that I'm totally going to steal ;)
    Glad you liked the cards. I wasn't totally sure they'd work. I could definitely randomise the enemy weaknesses, but it depends on whether the cards collected are a permanent resource. ie: You collect the cards to fill up a beastiary that carries between games, giving the player some progression between runs.
    I wanted to do something more with the keys (like locking off areas for good), but I didn't want to put the player into a position where they couldn't progress. I guess I could not have any locked doors on the critical path, but I was thinking that was a good way to encourage exploration...
    I'm dying to add more enemies, but I want to make sure that whats there at the moment is solid first since everything will be building on top of it.
    I was thinking of doing a limited inventory system thing (and probably still will), but I'm worried that it'll lead to a player having to constantly retool before each battle which seems like it wouldn't be that fun. What do you think?

• I super love this design space! There's so many cool things to do with it, also I really like all of @Squidcor's ideas and would like to add my own:

- Spells. Each spell takes a certain amount of time to charge after being used. When charged it will generate a single random letter imbued with the power of this spell. To use a spell, use this letter in a valid word. Spells could include bog-standard fireballs and ice blasts, to armor spells and weird things that mess with your board.
    - Enemy attacks that target specific letters on your grid, destroying them over time unless you use them before the timer runs out.
    - Any kind of invest to identify enemy card traits.

So I feel like there's a lot of debate possible about the map interaction. The real meat of the game is in the spell-casting (hah!) but the map/dungeon could add a ton of stuff to that, like if I can do more to choose what I fight against, I might want to leave my board in a particular state after fighting an easy enemy so that I can nuke a difficult one with my first word. Or if there are things that would allow me to exchange letters, I might want to go there after a really difficult fight and I'm swamped with Xs and Js. I'm not sure that a turn-based map exploration thing isn't a better idea because those allow for more options to be made available to the player to choose between at a time, realtime maps have lots of little decisions, but fewer strategic ones open at the same time. You sort of end up just choosing to walk a particular way and deal with the consequences (that are difficult to estimate in advance).

What sort of thought have you put into the map/dungeon interaction at the moment?
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • Sorry for the late reply!
    That's a good idea. Would you expect the letters to be highlighted in the grid or only after they've been put into a word?
    Definitely in the board so that I'd know that I want to use them in a word.
    There is actually a different coloured particle effect at the moment. Clearly that's not strong enough. :/ When you say you thought first stike wasn't possible, do you mean you didn't know how to trigger it? Were you trying to trigger it and it didn't work as you'd expected? If so, how?
    I didn't know how to trigger it and I didn't manage to trigger it the first couple of times I tried walking from behind, so I assumed it wasn't in the game.
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • @dislekcia
    - Any kind of invest to identify enemy card traits.
    What kind of investment were you thinking of?

I have considered a turn-based map, but didn't really have a strong idea of how to make that compelling/fun. The idea behind the map was to provide context to the battles, have a space to encourage exploration that was rewarded in and out of the battles, give the player choice in how and what they battled and provide a framework to hold some more traditional RPG elements (like loot and maybe levelling). None of it can't really be done in a turn-based map, I just have a lot less experience and history in turn-based maps. Thinking something along the line of Paper Mario and the Thousand Year door/Earthbound/Chrono Trigger/Persona 4 dungeons/etc.

What did you have in mind for a turn-based map? Would could you do in a turn-based map that couldn't be done in real-time?

Currently there's no carry over with your board between battles because I didn't want players to get their boards into a bad state and then be stuck. You think there should be a carry over? It's an interesting idea, but how do you solve the problem of players screwing themselves?
  • Looks great and I enjoyed playing, always looking for longer words to write love the tension between the time and picking the words. Really keeps you engaged.

A few ideas
    - a changing list of enemy traits each time you play, so knowing them before doesn't always help. (personal preference but follows the ideas of many rogue likes)
    - random dungeons, just to give that feeling of discovering something new.
    - a way to review the cards when not in a battle. (perhaps I missed a way to do this)
    - the carry over idea could be just the bottom row of letter carries over. Perhaps a once off glyph in the dungeon that will reset those. (of course you would want to know what the locked letters are between battles.)
    - if you have the carry over you could get cursed and have 2 rows of letters carried over until you "blessed" to remove the
    curse.
    - perhaps a few standard special spells, like FREEZE that pauses the timer for a while and does damage.

Glitches
    -Games freeze (reset still works) when you already have the full card unlocked and you collect another card.
    -If the card is on screen and some parts are not yet discovered when fading out the marking over the words goes slightly transparent.

Good luck, I like where this is going.
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • @dislekcia What kind of investment were you thinking of?
    Maybe you could spend gold, or scrolls, or some other resource that you collect in the dungeon to identify what a monster's card says. Maybe certain classes (if you have more than 1 planned) could easily tell weaknesses, etc. I think that the card idea to differentiate enemies is super smart and that's a good candidate to hide information about, but there's also a chance that this could frustrate some players as well. I remember Bookworm Adventures didn't hide info from you as the player, especially if that info would change how you played against a specific enemy... Worth considering.
    I have considered a turn-based map, but didn't really have a strong idea of how to make that compelling/fun. The idea behind the map was to provide context to the battles, have a space to encourage exploration that was rewarded in and out of the battles, give the player choice in how and what they battled and provide a framework to hold some more traditional RPG elements (like loot and maybe levelling). None of it can't really be done in a turn-based map, I just have a lot less experience and history in turn-based maps. Thinking something along the line of Paper Mario and the Thousand Year door/Earthbound/Chrono Trigger/Persona 4 dungeons/etc.

What did you have in mind for a turn-based map? Would could you do in a turn-based map that couldn't be done in real-time?
    I think that exploration and combat choice can be better handled by a turn-based map, actually. Just a simple grid that has enemies on it that block progress down paths until the player engages them in combat is all I mean here. This allows the player to have multiple enemies revealed and they know they have to fight one of them next, but they have a choice as to what they're going to do - it's not just moving down a space and ending up engaging whatever is in there. You can also do neat things with a grid map like that - players can move around it really fast, so there's no resource cost to going back to a healing shrine (or whatever) so you get to design interesting interactions with those sorts of places - either escalating resource costs for activation, or small effects that can be stacked.
    Currently there's no carry over with your board between battles because I didn't want players to get their boards into a bad state and then be stuck. You think there should be a carry over? It's an interesting idea, but how do you solve the problem of players screwing themselves?
    That is a perfect example of having something like a letter-healing shrine: Go to it, pick a letter on your board and it'll destroy all copies of that letter, healing you for the same amount. So, if you can survive a fight with tons of a single letter on your board, you can heal up afterwards. If you're swamped with certain things, you get healing, etc. Maybe you could even have a place to sell letters for gold, etc. There are lots of ways to give players non-combat ways to interact with their boards, so it might be worthwhile having the board itself as a resource carried between encounters. Would be interesting to manage, I think :)

• edited
    dislekcia said:
    Maybe you could spend gold, or scrolls, or some other resource that you collect in the dungeon to identify what a monster's card says.
    That's a cool idea. I wonder if something like a CCG monster card pack bought from a shop where you could get new things or you could get things you already have would be fun or if the player would prefer to just buy what they want...
    dislekcia said:
    I think that the card idea to differentiate enemies is super smart and that's a good candidate to hide information about, but there's also a chance that this could frustrate some players as well. I remember Bookworm Adventures didn't hide info from you as the player, especially if that info would change how you played against a specific enemy... Worth considering.
    Yeah, that is a problem I've already come up against. The shield is a piece of information I actually don't hide from the player because I feel it's essential information for fighting a monster with a shield. My current approach is to only hide information that would give you an advantage against an enemy and not information that is critical. This distinction is going to become more important as the enemy designs become more complex and I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to visually separate the two so that it's obvious.
    dislekcia said:
    I think that exploration and combat choice can be better handled by a turn-based map, actually.
    I think you're right in terms of combat choice (from a purely strategic standpoint), but in terms of immersion and exploration I prefer having real-time control over a character. There are definitely some advantages and interesting design directions to a turn-based map that I'll lose out on, so I'll have to think about this a bit more.
    dislekcia said:
    That is a perfect example of having something like a letter-healing shrine: Go to it, pick a letter on your board and it'll destroy all copies of that letter, healing you for the same amount. So, if you can survive a fight with tons of a single letter on your board, you can heal up afterwards. If you're swamped with certain things, you get healing, etc. Maybe you could even have a place to sell letters for gold, etc. There are lots of ways to give players non-combat ways to interact with their boards, so it might be worthwhile having the board itself as a resource carried between encounters. Would be interesting to manage, I think :)
    An interesting idea...

Thanks for your feedback. A lot of food for thought.
  • So this is the current direction that I'm going and what I'm planning to implement:
    Player Spells
    Heal - Heals you according to the value of the next word you can make
    Freeze - Freezes an enemy so they can’t do anything. Will unfreeze when attacked.
    Slow - Slows an enemy’s attack timer
    Burst Attack - Stops time allowing the player to fire off 3 attacks at once
    Poison - Poisons enemy using next attack/Directly poisons enemy
    Destroy Tiles - Can choose three tiles to remove
    Shield - Next enemy attack is blocked and nullified
    Focus - Next attack does extra damage
    Guard - Takes less damage for an amount of time
    Vowel Creator - Changes 2 consonants to vowels
    New Board - Resets the whole board. (will be more useful when there are poison/stone tiles)
    Lifesteal - Next attack steals some health for the player

Enemy Abilities / Characteristics
    Enemy only counter-attacks (essentially a turn based fight)
    Casts “Shield” to create magical shield (same as normal shield)
    Poison - Enemy throws poison on some of the tiles on the board. Using that tile will deal poison damage to the player.
    Crush - Enemy attack breaks some letters so they can’t be used for a time
    Conceal - Enemy attack conceals some letters on the board (maybe change the letter to a weird glyph). Can still be used as normal if the player can remember what they are. (maybe each attack the enemy does reveals one letter and each successful attack from the player reveals one)
    Petrify - Converts tile to stone. Does no damage until used a certain amount of times
    Throw Bomb - Bomb lands randomly on grid and destroys all letters around it.
    Enemy takes no damage from words longer than 3 letters
    Enemy does a massive attack every five words to incentivize taking your time and making sure you win in under five words.
    Enrage - Enemy’s next attack will do a lot of damage, but a 3 letter word will reset him to normal
    Melt - Enemy makes some letters melt and are destroyed after an amount of time.

Enemy Weaknesses / Strengths
    Weak to certain letters
    Weak to vowels or consonants
    Weak to word lengths
    Weak to words starting with certain letters
    Weak to specific words
    Weak to words with two of the same consecutive letter
    Weak to being hit by the same word twice
    Weak to words containing 2 of a certain letter

Anybody got anything else they'd like to see?
    Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • Woah, that's a big list of things! My only feedback is that I'd love to see those prototyped (so I can play with them!) before you invest a bunch of time polishing.
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • I just want to say that this is my favorite thread for keeping open as a tab for ages because I really want to reply but don't manage to.

I will, eventually, reply with something meaningful. I just really like the project :)
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • @dislekcia Awesome! Thanks man. :)
  • Im really liking the gameplay and the direction your going with this.

I had an issues where I had already collected all the cards on an enemy and when I got another one it showed the card screen, didn't add a new weakness (because its already full) and didn't give me the option to continue back to the game. Just a heads up, because the game did it twice.

Looking at the stuff your planning of adding, I think this can turn out to be something really great.
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • @Cyboerg Thanks a lot and also for the bug report. Sadly that one got by me and a bunch of people encountered it :/ Fixed now, I'm just trying to get a half decent build together with the new player spells for people to try and then I'll upload it.
  • @squidcor Your wish is my command, but only in this very specific circumstance ;)
    Here's a build with the new player spells implemented. It's very rough and "prototypey" and some of the spells have almost no feedback but the functionality is there. You also have access to all the spells immediately which won't be the case later (they'll be pickups or something) and I'll probably limit how many you can take into battle.

Windows Build
    Web Build

• I can produce a soundtrack for u if u need....
  • Took a break from dev for a while to do some website/social network-y stuff, but that's all up and running now, so back to the grind stone... thank goodness!

If you want to be kept up to date on Spell-Caster stuff here are some places to go:
    http://www.latchkeygames.com
    https://twitter.com/LatchkeyGames
    https://www.facebook.com/latchkeygames

Gonna do some work on a spellbook UI system for a change of pace.
    Thanked by 2mattbenic Squidcor
  • Been doing a bunch of different stuff lately. I've moved some of my UI into an actual spellbook type thing (more to follow).

I've changed my battles so that they take place in the map instead of in a separate plane of existence which I think has brought a unity to the game, so it all feels part of the same game now.

I've also implemented an idea I had for teaching players the basic battle mechanics in a low pressure environment before they get into any actual danger. The idea is that the player has to brute force their way through a barred door using their spells. Here's a video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=-H4HB-o7Olo
  • Been a while since I updated, so here's what's new:

I've done a lot of work on the level gameplay for Spell-Caster, since that seemed to be the weakest aspect of it. Added some more interactable objects, puzzles and secrets. I think it's more interesting now and feels more like an actual level.
    Also added a new enemy and some gear for some of the enemies (which modifies their stats), and various smaller things.

Some new screenies:
    image image
    image image

Spell-Caster went to A MAZE, which was exciting and seemed to be well received by people from what I've heard, which is hugely encouraging (I've been ill, so couldn't go and see for myself).

Here's the build:
    Windows Build
    If you played it there or play it here I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Thanked by 1Squidcor
  • I really enjoyed playing this at AMAZE :) Couple points of feedback:
    • The lever to open the door on the right in the iced-stairs room was really hard to find. I wandered around for ages before I randomly discovered it by sliding my mouse around in frustration and noticing the interact icon change. Later on I pointed it out to people that were stuck as well.
    • Building long words is awesome. I had competitions going with other people to build the longest word.
    • The puzzles and level exploration was good fun, I was disappointed when the game ended instead of going to another level.
    • Wow that's a lot of mechanics... Not a bad thing, it's just that it was obvious that the game had progressed a lot.
    • The machine we played on had a really low sensitivity mouse. Some sort of setting for that might be a good idea (although not super crucial)
    • I really wanted to be able to type out words instead of clicking on the tiles laboriously. Typing (and using backspace) during fights might make a big difference on PC, maybe even re-balancing combat slightly for speed, but the mouse hunt-and-peck is already slower than tapping on a touch device, so it probably evens out if that's what you're aiming the game at as a primary platform.
    Thanked by 1Gavin_Hayler
  • @dislekcia Awesome thanks!
    Yeah, that lever turned out to be really badly placed and not visible enough and a lot of people had trouble with it. I had a task in my list to make it more visible but didn't get to it in time. :/
    Did you find that the timer/real-time thing reduced your fun of building long words or enhanced it?
    I thought about doing a keyboard thing, but I wanted the game to be as cross-platform as possible and later if there are two of the same letter on the board it'll become important which one you use. Not sure how I'd get around that? Did you find it to be a large hindrance/annoyance to have to use the mouse?
  • edited
    It might be a good idea to move those levers to the floor, it's easier to see thing there. (I also missed the torch puzzle, but shoulder-hovered someone else playing who saw it and completed it)

The timer was pretty cool, I think that it's an easy thing to change in the difficulty settings (or with some sort of calibration at new game time, to see how fast people spot words in a search, for example) but I felt the tension it added was great. The whole first strike for attacking from behind felt really cool too - you could take your time to try and set up this massive kill shot, which was a great contrast to the frenzy of the realtime mode... You might want to indicate the lack of an incoming attack on the UI a bit better though, but it's not essential ;)

Yeah, the keyboard comment was literally made with "because it seems like which character you use doesn't matter" right as we were talking about it. I feel like keyboard input should work, mouse input is slower than tapping. Maybe if you allowed players to mouse-drag tiles of the same letter to swap them out? You're already letting players choose when to fire the spell, so swapping letters with different effects feels like a good idea - that way I can type the word fast and then modify it before firing... I think the mouse thing was mostly frustrating because of the low mouse sensitivity on the demo machine, and the fallback of trying to type didn't work.

Also, idea about firing spells: Instead of the launch button, make players click/tap on the enemy itself with a big targeting ring or something. That would mean you could have different targets on larger enemies, each with different vulnerabilities. My imagination is playing with casting a verb at a dragon's mouth to slow its attack timer for a bit, while peppering its body with damage spells. That could be epic :)