[Event] Super Friendship Arcade: Beta - 16 May!

edited in Events
Hey Friends!

You may have already seen the facebook event, but in any case the next installment of SFA will be with us soon! Featuring a line up bursting with local games, set against a backdrop of party and good times we hope you'll join us for one our favourite Cape Town celebration of games!

When: 8pm Sat 16 May
Where: Manila Bar Long street.
(PS Manila bar is two floors, we'll be on the top floor. The bottom floor is a karaoke bar that will remain open till the early hours of the morning ;) )

Full details on the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1380276128940414/

Call for Volunteers!
MGSA community members have been critical in helping make SFA a success. This time we're looking to get some more help with set up beforehand so that we're not so stressed by the time the event is running - as well taking shifts manning the door. Either sends us a message through social media channels or email superfriendshiparcade@gmail.com if you'd like to help out. :)

Line up
We still have a bit of figuring out to do here, but we'll be announcing the final list of games soon ;)

Comments

• Can't wait for this :)
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Rad poster Ben!

Sounds like this will be a cool location :)
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Thanks @Gibbo! We're really excited for the new venue as well! Will definitely miss The Pit, but The Arcade is really leveling up with the move to Manilla Bar.
  • this sounds so cool. anything similar for the JNB crowed?
  • this sounds so cool. anything similar for the JNB crowed?
    There is Amaze Johannesburg in September! There is also the opportunity to start your own video game / art / high-five / party!
    Thanked by 2dislekcia BenJets
  • Still looking for help?
  • Also, is there a corner to host a redux of the peg game?
  • Hey everyone! Here's the lineup for the night!

We're all very excited for all this! We're especially proud to be able to share so many great local games and custom controllers made by the community. I believe the previous party only featured two local games; "Pat Cat Pat" & "Kick In The Door". It's incredible to think that we now have more than a dozen SA games on the lineup!

Very late night designing has meant I slipped up on my side and left off another great local title; "Knights of the turntable". We're very stoked to include this as well - our apologies for the slip up!
  • Last bit of promo stuff - here's a little video we made to get people excited about all this fun!
  • okay, first of all, that's an amazing video.
    second of all, the eve was utterly glorious and my thanks to all. Make sure to share photos and the like easily :)
  • What a smashing success! Thanks so much to everyone who came and everyone who helped out.

And I think @thefuntastic, @benjets and @merrik deserve a huge amount of thanks and praise for all their hard work. Well done guys, the evening was spectacular :)
  • This party was brilliant! It feels to me like SFA keeps going from strength to strength.

Also it was badass to have some Joburg developers bring their awesome games.
  • edited
    So amped about the games and people at SFA can't wait for the next.
    Is there anyway to play/pay pat cat pat would like to show it off since I cant get the song out of my head.

Edit: are most/all of the SA games at SFA private/accessible?
  • Super awesome man, the photos looks stunning. I need to make a point of going down there myself!!! :D
  • Was an incredible event! Was so glad to come down and experience it :).

Also really glad us Joburgers could start contributing to the curation of games -- hope this continues for future events :).

Here are some photos for those who couldn't make it.
  • edited
    So disappointed that I couldn't make it. Oh well... at least I now have a reason to get a driver's license. Got to try and get to next time's... or the time thereafter... or after that one... sometime.
  • Jeez, this night really couldn't have gone much better! Thanks everyone for the positive feedback here - good to know you all had such a good time!

We were so stoked with how many South African games were on show and were extra happy about having some great hits on the night coming out of Joburg. On top of that, it was fantastic that @SUGBOERIE, @Bensonance and @BenCrooks made the pilgrimage to Cape Town to see their creations making people smile! Was so good to have you guys there!

I'll soon pen a proper report back on the night, but for now I figured I'd share the extensive, heartfelt "thank you" that we sent out to all involved. And it starts like:

"Wow! We're completely overwhelmed and blown away by what went down last night! It couldn't have been more awesome. We want to say some massive thank yous to everyone who made the night the amazing event that it was.

Thanks so much to The Manila Bar for giving us such an ideal new home. The space felt like a perfect match! The Karaoke was such a nice addition!

Thanks to all the international developers who's games we showed off.

Special thanks to all the local game makers for their awesome contributions to the night. Thanks to all who built hardware and controllers. Thanks to everyone that joined us for any of the jams that helped shape this party. We couldn't have been more stoked with the huge collection of fantastic, locally-built elements we had in The Arcade last night.

Thanks to all the friends that volunteered to help make the night happen. Your time, energy and support means the world to us.

Thank you to all that helped spread the word about this night. To anyone that got the gospel out there, we really appreciate your posts, shares, words and enthusiasm!

Lastly, thanks to everyone that came through, played games, high-fived strangers and made this night the amazing success that it was. We couldn't have asked for a more awesome collection of superfriends! Thanks to each and every one of you for being a part of our little utopia! With your support, we were able to cover the night's expenses, and beyond that made a profit on the whole venture. While we still need to figure out what we want to get with it, these funds will be going towards procuring electronic components to build new custom controllers and buying elements for new gaming stations. We're very grateful to be able to throw these parties, and beyond that, it's amazing that we're able to build up our resources to make each arcade bigger and better than the last.

Once again our most sincere thanks and atomic high fives to you all. We love you guys!"