Super Friendship Arcade Stable & Nightly

The previous three super friendship arcades seemed to be a hit with the Cape Town community. At the same time, the high numbers mean that attendees don't get a lot of actual play time, which is okay, it's a party rather than an exhibition.

But I as thinking that it could be valuable to provide a platform for experimental games which aren't quite as frenetic/short/suited to parties. Something more a little bit closer to a gallery than an old school arcade. This would mean finding a venue which would be available for longer than a night, and computers to host games on, which would mean increased expense. However it would help expose game makers who would like to experiment with quieter, more reflective experiences.

You could call the original SFA parties Super Friendship Arcade Nightly and the longer exhibitions the Stables.

Just a random vague thought.

Comments

• I think it's a good idea, you should do it.

I'm not sure that @Merrik and @TheFuntastic are up for doing more than they're already doing with Super Friendship Arcade. You could always run something like this and call it whatever you want - that way you don't need anyone's permission (beyond the people whose games you'll be showing) :)

I think the first step would be to see if you can approach galleries and see if they're interested in something like this. I'm not sure that devs would be able to be at these spaces all the time, so the testing angle might not be the strongest, but it could be neat. You'd have to be very careful with the selection of games though, make the exhibition feel coherent.
  • I was not suggesting that @Merrik or @TheFuntastic organise it, I'd would not be opposed to doing the legwork :), I was just wondering if any devs here would be interested in something along these lines.
  • I was not suggesting that @Merrik or @TheFuntastic organise it, I'd not be opposed to doing the legwork :), I was just wondering if any devs here would be interested in something along these lines.