[Gloobies Lab] [FREE] Mobile Android game

edited in Projects
Hi, we recently launched a google play game update for Gloobies Lab,
and now we are optimising our listing / marketing / game, etc.

Would appreciate some feedback, and help with A/B testing....

Please help us decide which is the best store icon for our game! See the mockup image attached and let us know with a comment what (row,column) is the icon you would be most likely to click? (this is a demo of what they will look like in the store)

If you do not like any of these, please say why and how we can change it, or if you feel like it give examples.

Comments

• Thank you this is a great resource! we are trying to test better conversion rates for icons and not necessarily best graphics design techniques. Once we find the most popular icon we will iterate on it and definately use those guidelines to improve the technical dedign.
  • row 1 column 5
    Thanked by 2Boysano Galaxy
  • My favorites are
    ROW 1 number 2 (Favorite)
    ROW 2 number 4
    ROW 3 number 2

Herewith detailed personal opinions...
    Left to Right... row by row...
    ROW 1
    1. Too "pinata"... 2/5 (By pinata I mean that the color collage is distracting and zany)
    2. Iconic. - Like it. 4/5 but maybe needs a dabbing of subtly added color variation?
    3. Too unspecific. 1/5
    4. Too close-up 2/5
    5. Eye catching but unspecific 2/5

ROW 2
    6. Tells me there's a female protagonist which is informative. It gives me a feeling of being "game for girls"
    3/5
    7. Too unspecific. 1/5
    8. Too unspecific. 1/5
    9. Informative!! 4/5
    10. Enchanting but unspecific.(maybe iconic depends on the character relevance?) 3/5

ROW 3
    11. Too "pinata"... 2/5
    12. Informative and good composition. Feels less "girlie" and more all inclusive. 4/5
    13. Iconic maybe, but feels unspecific. 2/5
    14. Having the name in the logo sometimes feels redundant to me so it's not a personal favorite.
    15. Feels copy pasted and makes me question quality.
    Thanked by 3Boysano Asbestos Galaxy
  • Yeah 1/5 is the clearest of all these, the rest are more difficult to read. Icons should be... Iconic, though of course I've fallen for the trap of overloading it before.

Borders are a no-no too, imo. Some brands use a consistent border as branding, so that might be something to consider if you're going that route:
    Thanked by 2Boysano Galaxy
  • Hi and Thank you guys(and gals) for the replies.

We got alot of feedback from various public channels and most seem to like a shaded red background and simple character combo icon.

I will be posting phase 2 designs for a second round later today so stay tuned.
  • edited

Thanked by 1Pierre
  • I would like to add my five cents as well:

I have played the first version of gloobies that you guys released and I had so much fun with it - it was so addictive!
    What really stood out to me is that the gloobs (or what ever they are called) transform into cooler looking gloobs! That was in my opinion what made it so great! The fact that you were looking forward to making the boring looking gloobs turn into happy/crazier looking ones was what gave it that fun touch.

I think your four final logos might be appealing but I would almost like to see a logo where a gloob transforms into a second/higher one...Would that work?
    Metamorphis has always been a very popular thematic (Pokemon evolving) and it would do this game much justice!
    Thanked by 2Galaxy Boysano
  • Since we using a F2P model, your 2cents is all we want. :)
    We just need a million downloads now. hehe
    Thanked by 1Galaxy
  • edited
    From left to right.
    My favorites right now is 1 and 4!
    1 iconic
    4 informative
    Both equally appealing to me.
    Thanked by 1Galaxy
  • I would go with 1.
    I agree with Mexicanopiumdog, this game is well suited for free to play and evolution elements can work well with that model. Maybe extend the gameplay to support breeding of one or other kind, for long term gameplay and then revel in your creations by having somewhere where you can view them? Maybe have various high level outcomes so as to collect/ unlock/ achieve all the various higher level outcomes through selective breeding through the existing gameplay elements.
    All the best!
    Thanked by 2Galaxy Boysano
  • Bernard said:
    I would go with 1.
    I agree with Mexicanopiumdog, this game is well suited for free to play and evolution elements can work well with that model. Maybe extend the gameplay to support breeding of one or other kind, for long term gameplay and then revel in your creations by having somewhere where you can view them? Maybe have various high level outcomes so as to collect/ unlock/ achieve all the various higher level outcomes through selective breeding through the existing gameplay elements.
    All the best!
    Thanks for the input Bernard, we sure have alot of idea discussed inhouse. If you would like to know more you can checkout or dedicated game's website at gloobies.gamelancer.net and head over to the developer blog
  • edited
    We got our first youtube review this weekend,
    from @CraniumCode. We are really happy he helped us, since we do not know him personally. I'm sure he will do the same for other mobile indie games...
    Check it here, we are the second game in the video:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=W2Qea7k4ym0
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • We had to republish our game to a new listing on Google Play after they without warning suspended it - tip: do not trust ASO experts. Do your own external marketing!

Anycase, we could really use your support again with downloads on all Android platforms!
    Here is new link for new game:
    http://bit.ly/GL_Gloobies

We lost 1000 downloads, 37x 5star and 1x 4star ratings.

So help us get it back, and enjoy the clean leaderboards while you can be the best. There was fierce competition on previous leaderboards!

http://bit.ly/GL_Gloobies
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Good luck! it looks and sounds fun!

However...

No body knows where this strange ooze comes from...
    Nobody knows where this strange ooze comes from...

I would personally go for second spelling. Both are FINE. ("F* Up, Insecure, Neurotic, and Emotional) , gee thanks Aerosmith. :)

Great job guys.
  • @konman good spot! I totally missed it nobody knows why.

Thank you!
    Thanked by 1konman