Johannesburg Shader Bash - 16 May 2015

edited in Events
Hey all!

Myself and @Asbestos has organised this Saturday to meet up at the Microsoft office to work on some stuff, we're going to try and figure out how the Ludum Dare shaders I posted elsewhere works in Unity, if it does at all :P

When: From 12:00 16 May 2015
Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg
RSVP: PM @Asbestos your name and phone number

12 noon at Microsoft Office on William Nicol
16 May Saturday
(If you're joining, please PM @Asbestos your name and phone number, but nothing stops you from just dropping in. It's just better for logistics.)

We will likely be playtesting each other's stuff too :) Come for free coffee and good company, experience exchange :)

Cool :)

Comments

• Sounds awesome @Tuism, I'll try be there baring any unforeseen appointments.

We need more people like you organising these sorts of things - keep up the good work!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Hrm. I'll see if maybe I can drop by - I think I can help you folks get that running in Unity (and make a few improvements to it, I think!)
  • DUUUUUDE THAT WOULD BE AMAZEBALLS :D

Also I really still want to try and get to a level of understanding. Have to admit I still am blind as star-nosed moles around the whole shader thing :(
  • Auditorium 2 again?
  • GLSL. It sure is a lot to soak in at once.

Thankfully there are some online tutorials and introductions regarding the GLSL shader language.
    nehe.gamedev.net/article/glsl_an_introduction/25007/ is one of my favorites.
    Their text on the shader language packs a brief but thorough introductory punch for me.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @Fengol it won't be an auditorium, we won't have a huge crowd so we're taking a room. We'll post which room exactly when we know. @Asbestos is on it :)
  • Some references
    So for my ease of reference I'm posting some links here, regarding resources that I found useful in making Tri-planar and Grass Billboard shaders.
    To start with, Unity provides methods for making three kinds of Custom shaders.
    docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ShadersOverview.html

The vertex shader pipeline
    The Vertex/Fragment shader type has a section called Vertex shading... during which the shader will determine the position of each vertex passed. This is done through a pipeline of transforms and it helps to know what these transforms are, and in which order they occur.
    So we can read this link for details on that... en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cg_Programming/Vertex_Transformations

Billboard shaders
    The same page also explains how to make a billboard shader with good sample code...
    en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cg_Programming/Unity/Billboards

Tri-planar shaders
    These are great for texturing large masses with awkward angles... Like a hill with rocks on the sides and grass on top... This following link was a great simple example of how to do this (though it doesn't include light and shadow, just texturing)
    gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/53478/how-to-do-triplanar-texturing
    And this is an alternative explanation of the idea behind tri-planar shaders.
    gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/use-tri-planar-texture-mapping-for-better-terrain--gamedev-13821
  • count me in
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Forgot to mention - in case you guys are used to free food at MS, this is not an "official" event and therefore there'll be no catering and therefore either eat beforehand or bring your own lunch :)

Se ya'll later :)
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Awww. Thanks a bunch guys. @Tuism , @Asbestos Thanks for organizing!
    I feel like I was fiddling with unknown forces before...
    Today I feel like I actually know a bit more and the walkthrough on the projector was very eye opening!
  • Had a fantastic day today geeking out over this super technical stuff. I learned much more than I ever did/had with the help of EVERYONE there: @Asbestos, @subjectZero, @Pierre and ... I can't remember forum handle... David.

And thanks to @Elyaradine for providing a breakthrough link that helped tons: http://t.co/xpn5zRZr4p

Here's what came out of my bash today... I call it Memories of a Broken Spelunky (it's a character controller's demo scene) :D

broken_shader.gif
    400 x 304 - 354K
  • @Tuism, @Asbestos, @Pierre

was an awesome day thanks for organising it.

i suggest we do something every week. it will keep our minds fresh and who knows what will come out if, maybe a GAME!

rock on peeps!
  • Thanks guys was awesome!
  • Fiddled with the shader and got it to do what I actually wanted it to do :)

(though I *do* think the original one was cooler :P )

broken_shader2.gif
    612 x 459 - 1M
  • @Tuism it looks really good!! Has this inspired you to fiddle further with custom shaders in the future?
  • edited
    Oh yeah, I'll definitely dig deeper into shaders. I really just needed that first handhold to grab onto :) Thanks again everyone! :D

Speaking of doing this (or stuff like this) regularly, I think on the one hand I agree, weekly will be great, but on the other hand I don't think weekly is sustainable for most people, and people will run out of steam. So we can talk about it and see what everyone feels, but we shouldn't start with *that* much pressure :)

What does everyone else think? Do YOU (you, yes you reading this, whoever you are) want a weekly meetup where we fiddle with gamedev stuff?
    Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • @Tuism
    I also think every week will be exhausting.

- I'm happy with once a month on a sunday
    maybe twice a month at most.

I prefer Sundays. Because Saturdays I have to give the gardener the day off to make it, or otherwise show up really late... But I don't require or hope for special consideration. Whatever is comfortable for most. :)
  • On @Fengol's request, here are my files from the Shader Bash:

The scene is in in:
    Assets/2D-CharacterController_Prime31/Assets/CharacterController2D/Demo

The shader's on a script on the main camera.
    zip
    zip
    ShaderExperiment.zip
    7M
  • @Tuism I think once a month would be great, definitely do-able and we hopefully won't run out of steam. Over time, maybe more people join in...

Also, thanks for sharing your files :)