zX - Hyperblast

edited in Projects
A new demo build has been uploaded. Get it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23376639/zX-Demo.rar
New features include:

Infinite loop mode added, where the player tackles as many randomly selected levels it as possible before dying.
Completed level counter added for infinite loop mode.
Reworked and improved boss encounters.
Charge attack meter.
Player momentum improved.
Adjusted and streamlined pause and options menu.
Level exit portals added to the entrance of regular levels.
Numerous bug fixes.

Enjoy :)

Greetings all,

After implementing some great suggestions (thanks @BlackShipsFilltheSky), not to mention squashing numerous bugs, I am pleased to finally present you with the official demo of zX.

The demo features 11 playable levels out of the 66 total (excl. hidden levels).

Xbox and generic gamepad support has been integrated into the game. Xbox (and Logitech) settings are on by default. Generic gamepad users can change this setting in the options menu or the pause menu.

Keyboard controls can toggle between WASD (fire, blade & weapon select) / Arrow keys (movement) and Arrow keys (fire, blade & weapon select) and WASD (movement) which can be adjusted in the options menu or the pause menu.

Several new enemy types have been added.

New hazards have been added to several levels.

...and the game finally has music!

If you haven't yet done so... please vote on Steam Greenlight

zX01.png
1280 x 800 - 184K
zX02.png
1280 x 800 - 196K
zX03.png
1280 x 800 - 139K
zX04.png
1280 x 800 - 183K
zX05.png
1280 x 800 - 201K
zX06.png
1280 x 800 - 201K
zX07.png
1280 x 800 - 91K
zX08.png
1280 x 800 - 169K
zX09.png
1280 x 800 - 226K
Thanked by 3Elyaradine hanli Tuism

Comments

• This is in GameMaker right? I'm constantly blown away what that engine can do! Well done guys!
  • Game Maker 8 ;)

Though one can't be too proud of that Hotline Miami and DD were GM7
  • Not sure if I'm looking at it correctly, but it looks like your computer is lagging in a lot of that video?
  • Here are my thoughts/opinions/advice in numbered list form :) I'm listing them as I came across them, not in order of importance...also I was playing on the keyboard. So some of the issues might be specific to that.

1) When in the options menu I had to press left to switch from the default settings to another one(like for scan lines). It's not a big issue, but it's counter intuitive which made me thought that there might be something else wrong.

2) The first time the game tried to save or something I got an crash. I attached a screenshot. I think it has something to do with folder permissions or something because as soon as I moved the folder it worked without any further crashes.

3) Some of the information boards show the same keys for shooting and moving, which might be confusing. For instance if I'm on the WASD/LRUD setup the board will show that W moves up and also that W uses my blades.

4) The ship feels a bit sluggish. It doesn't feel quite as responsive as I would like. I also don't like that it slows down when I fire. It's basically a permanent slow down to the ship because I tend to ALWAYS be firing.

5) This might be just me, but I'm having a hard time recognizing what bullets are mine and what bullets are enemies' bullets. Their bullets are mostly the same colours than mine, which I find confusing...

6) The "head" enemies that creep out of the wall are too subtle for me. I mean that I usually missed them appearing until the started firing. Would be cool if they had a less subtle entry, a sound alert maybe?

7) Come show this off at the meetup Tuesday :)

8) At one point I tried to run past a few enemies and there were a lot of bullets on screen which made my game lag a lot. There were a lot of bullets but I'm guessing that this will be a rather frequent occurrence. Might be a problem.

9) I think you should introduce the enemies in a more isolated manner. When the player first encounters an enemy I think it should be the only one they should be fighting so they can see exactly what the enemy does. If it's the later stages this can be relaxed, but I think the whole first world should work like this.

10) When you introduce the blade's reflect mechanic I think there should be a stationary enemy that fires a constant stream of bullets that are fairly easy to deflect. That way the player get's some time to practice.

11) I'm not sure about this one because it's funny for me too, but maybe consider getting rid of the profanity the little guy shouts. The reason I say this is that I know you are aiming to sell the game and the profanity might narrow your market.

12) The lazers are so cool! (the ones that scroll the sides of the screen :D)

13) The boss feels a bit too easy. He was a LOT easier than half of the levels I played through...and I couldn't even finish 5 of them. Also maybe consider playing some dramatic music when the player enters the level so they know something big is coming.

14) The enemies that spawn the energy to open the gates feel like they have too much health.

15) The menu animations feel too slow. I have to wait for the animation to finish before I can make selections. Which is not a game breaker...but it would be good to make it faster to make selections. Also when the options menu loads and I press down a couple of times it resets to the first selection once the animation has finished.

Well done! I think this is great! The enemies are really interesting and have some great animations. Keep on going :) Also, cool music.
  • @aodendaal Glad we can show how cool Game Maker can be.

@BlackShipsFilltheSky My computer sure was lagging in the video. I was desperate to get a video out.

@Rigormortis
    1.) I agree. I wanted to get it working by pressing the fire button and not left/right, but couldn't get that working last night. Will fix it for the next update
    2.) Not sure why it crashed 1st time, never seen that before.
    3.) Oops, should be easy to fix.
    4.) I think this'll just be a matter of taste. The slowdown while firing was a recent suggestion I implements.
    5.) Not sure how I would make it easier to recognize the bullets... just watch out for brightly colored stuff I guess :P
    6.) Don't think the head enemies are too subtle, they make the same teleport sound and fx as the other enemies.
    7.) Will do :)
    8.) This is indeed a problem. My most serious problem I think. Will need to find a way to limit the amount of objects on screen.
    9.) Remember that the demo you're playing samples levels from all over the game, the final version will be much more forgiving in the first few levels.
    10.) You'll get used to the blade in the first few levels (see above) and through constantly dying :D
    11.) Fuck that (lol)... but seriously, I'll probably have profanity unlockable. Have the milder stuff first (Aaarrrgghh!!! first, then Pissflaps!!! after unlock.)
    12.) I'm glad you like the lasers (inspired by Gridrunner by the legendary Jeff Minter (Llamasoft))) I love lasers <3
    13.) Think you may be right about the boss. There are a couple of solutions to this, eg. it could spawn other enemies.
    14.) Also think you may be right about this, think I'll half their energy.
    15.) I'll speed the animation up and look at what's happening with the first selection in the options menu.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out and give me your feedback. Much appreciated. I'll keep you posted on changes and updates.
  • @dislekcia Wow. Just saw that now. Thanks for the heads up :)
  • @dislekcia I'm slightly freaking out about being on indiegames.com
  • @retroFuture and @Rigormortis the change was actually speed up when not firing. The idea wasn't to penalize you for shooting but to reward you for not shooting. It comes in handy for when you are trying to rush in with the blades.

With the head Enemies, they only spawn on corners so it becomes some what predictable where they might spawn, they are also are don't spawn in different place.

Just remember death is your friend and constant companion.
  • Congratulations on being on indiegames.com!!! Hope your hard work gets rewarded even more :D, the game looks great I'll DL and play when I get some time off
  • Con-diggidy-gratu-fucking-lations! :D

Looks like it's come a long way even from the the Amaze fest :) Well done! :D
  • @LittleBear, @Tuism Thanks for the kind wishes, it has definitely come a long way since A MAZE Jhb, I played that version from back then, and I wanna cringe when I compare it to the current version. Think I better keep the old version for nostalgia.
  • UPDATE: Just a heads up on the new zX update:

Redesigned player damage fx so that it no longer uses Game Maker surfaces, thus better performance and compatible with more Gfx cards.

Improved particle and trail fx.
    Improved option and pause menu system, inactive selections are now skipped over, all selections toggle.
    Reworked audio levels so that the BGM is now more prominent.
    Added 2 new music tracks to the green forest levels.
    New weapon, charge attack a-la R-Type (hold down blade attack to charge and release to fire). Comes in 3 flavors contingent on current primary weapon selection.

...and just to brag a bit, I got a Twitter recommendation from Jeff 'Yak' Minter! Very chuffed about that :)

For those too lazy to scroll to the top, you can download it here

Also, check out this preview video by SlushyPreviews
    Thanked by 1AngryMoose
  • Been really cool to watch the game evolve into what it is now :)
  • I will add a progressive series of images to show the evolution of the graphics and gameplay of the project. I think it may be interesting to some (...it is to me anyway) how much an initial idea can grow and mutate. I think it will also be good to show what major gameplay elements were sacrificed for a leaner, more polished experience.
  • Phase one prototype images.
    zX01.png
    960 x 640 - 20K
    zX09.png
    960 x 640 - 21K
    zX10.png
    960 x 640 - 22K
    zX11.png
    960 x 640 - 21K
    zX12.png
    960 x 640 - 20K
    zX13.png
    960 x 640 - 25K
    Thanked by 2Tuism Douzeju
  • The game looks awesome, and it's fun :)
    Well done.

Thanked by 2Karuji retroFuture
  • Sho, the prototype's colours are quite uh.. radical.

Much prefer the newest version, much cleaner and a has such a great contrast with the dark colours. Good use of negative space :P
  • @duncanbellsa the original colour scheme was completely 8bit and followed the palette of the zx spectrum.

The initial levels were also more cavernous and free roaming where the new ones have more of a sense of direction to them which made a really big difference to the overall feel of the gameplay.

@retroFuture zomg old shield system fuck that makes me laugh!
  • prototype colour scheme, also known as LSD flashback mode ;)
  • edited
    Updated demo available. Check out the new infinite random loop mode.
  • edited
    Fixed an error when completing the rising lava level (it was impossible to exit the stage on completion - apologies to those who completed this particularly nasty level only to have the game forget to take you back to the hub.)
    Improved the random backdrop generator in Infinite Loop Mode, backdrops no longer repeat.
    Tweaked logo animation in intro and pause menu.

Please note, I apologize for the poor saving system currently implemented, Julian (a much more professional coder than I could ever hope to be) is currently working on an improved and streamlined save system which will effectively save not only the standard level progression, but also Infinite Loop modes completed level scores. Currently, if the player exits a game in progress from Infinite Loop mode, the recorded score sets itself back to zero. Will notify you when this issue has been resolved.
  • Very cool game , took me back to my ZX spectrum days, Zynaps and Cybernoid. Retro but then not. Love the atmosphere and music. Clever use of the portals in the beginning to choose your levels.

Love the Parallex backgrounds. Will play more and comment on gameplay, but visually its great.

Will vote for greenlight now! :)
  • @iceblademush Thought I'd attach these images of the games you mentioned, for the education of those who've never heard of these titles.
    zynaps2.png
    320 x 256 - 5K
    Cybernoid2.gif
    256 x 192 - 6K
    1275066487-00.jpg
    640 x 812 - 98K
    1101831736-00.jpg
    640 x 816 - 143K
    Thanked by 2iceblademush hanli
  • So I am currently working on bringing the game up to Game Maker: Studio, and lets just call it an 'interesting' experience.

So I have had many little bugs and glitches on getting the game one. But this one actually made some nice art out of it. So enjoy the game-world being translucent since this will be the only time you will see it.

• So 2AM, and the rAge build is done. You can grab it here

Also don't expect this build to stay up for too long, the CRT distortion on hit effect didn't turn out how we wanted so it's going to be changed, also need to get the 360 controls working nicely new build in about 12 hours I guess. Time to get a little bit of sleep.
  • edited
    Oh is this a NEW BUILD with cool new screen shake instead of the laggy CRT effect why yes it is.

Also a video of the effect (looks much better when actually being played.

Edit: just realized that I cut off the edges of the screen when I edited the vid :#
  • I still don't understand why there are some bullets that look almost exactly like the stuff you're supposed to collect... That confuses me no end.

I assume there are health bars and stuff at the bottom of the screen? It might make sense to add attention animations to those when health is lost so that players link the two concepts. I was wondering what made you not die to the first few hits.
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • @dislekcia if you are just looking at the vid I screwed up with the editing so the UI is cut off.

The black stars charge the Hyperblaster. We've debated over whether they should go to the player or the meter itself.

The reason why they go to the ship instead of the UI is because you charge the hyperblast by absorbing the enerfy of the enemies, but if that is confusing then we will move it to going to the UI instead.

Currently there are sprites there are animations on the ship indicating health loss, but ye I see what you mean, there should be some more attention drawn to the UI as well.
  • Why are they black stars? They have a border glow around a black inner shape, they're even given a greenish glow, just like the one kind of shot. Swap up the rules you're displaying them with: Make them an internal gold colour, remove the glow, boom, no confusion possible - now they can move toward the ship without issue.
    Thanked by 2Karuji retroFuture
  • @dislekcia ah see what you mean, ye. The visual aesthetic of the star is something that I have been talking to @retroFuture about changing. I was opting for a adding a white inner center to them. Now to find some kind of visual juice that isn't a glow.

The reason they are black is because black is symbolic of the enemy unit's power, hence why their bullets have black cores, and the Hyperblaster's bullets also have black core (as the power to use the Hyperblaster comes from absorbing the black stars)

But as I said if it confusing then we will change it.
  • I think you may be right @dislekcia. I'll work on differentiating the collectible stars from the enemy bullets.
  • I keep telling them to unify the bullet colours. Your attacks = one colour. Things you wanna dodge = one colour, things you wanna collect = one colour.

I keep saying that. Over and over :P
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • @dislekcia Originally, the stars were created black in order to differentiate them from the enemy bullets. The enemy bullets were then made black in order to differentiate them from the player bullets. Now the stars are a similar color to the enemy bullets, but I'll fix that tonight. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Your attacks can't just be one color @Tuism, the players 3 weapon types need 3 different colors. Besides, the enemy bullets all have a black core which seperates them from the player bullets, which have a bright core. The different glow colors of the enemy bullets also signify different projectile types.
  • @Karuji said:
    The reason they are black is because {has nothing to do with player attention or recognition}
    Internal world consistency has to take a back seat to immediacy of unambiguous player understanding. Especially in an action game... I would be trying to dodge those black stars all the friggin time.
    I think you may be right @dislekcia. I'll work on differentiating the collectible stars from the enemy bullets.
    Please do. And, like @Tuism says, the player bullets from the enemy bullets! There really is no reason that enemy bullets need to be different colours, is there? Players still have to dodge them all or take damage, right? Is there any secondary information that you need to convey, like damage amounts or shield-absorption possibilities?

You could always change the glow colour of enemy bullets per level to make it stand out nicely from the background colour. Like 1 level all the enemy shots could be yellow to complement the blue background, the next level they're orange to stand out against a green, etc.

Have you had problems trying to fit stuff into "enough colours" given the styles of all the shots are graphically similar?
    Thanked by 1Karuji
  • Internal world consistency has to take a back seat to immediacy of unambiguous player understanding. Especially in an action game... I would be trying to dodge those black stars all the friggin time.
    When the bullets lacked the black cores: people were still trying to dodge the stars. So we increase the speed of them to try and show that they cannot be dodged. Hence why I was thinking they should go to the UI as it indicated clearly that they they are charging the Hyperblast meter.

---

Also I think the colour changes could work rather well.
  • edited
    I really think speeding them up will just lead to players being more frustrated about dodging them. Really, make them easy to read. I BET a million bucks not 50% of people who play will even have noticed what you're talking about with the black cores. Simplify!

Pulling a page from my Pecha Kucha talk from AMAZE :P

They made all kinds of different attacks, but were able to very easily identify them from one another (which ones need to be dodged) with a very simple rule of colour that people understood instinctively.

Thanked by 1Karuji
  • The main identifier of the enemy bullets is the black core. The glow colors determine type, but this not essential, as they all inflict the same damage. Apart from that, the color only serves an aesthetic purpose. And yes... fitting stuff into "enough colors" was indeed difficult.
  • I think I'll drop the different enemy bullet colors.
  • AND while we're on the topic, some of the background black stuff is solid and some aren't. Some black things you can fly through and some you can't. That can create inconsistent player expectations and lead to frustrations.
  • OK, I'll ensure tonal differentiation on non-solid background decals too.
  • edited
    The main identifier of the enemy bullets is the black core. The glow colors determine type, but this not essential, as they all inflict the same damage. Apart from that, the color only serves an aesthetic purpose. And yes... fitting stuff into "enough colors" was indeed difficult.
    The core is the least visible part of the shot, unfortunately. The glow does kinda overpower it pretty hard... Also, you've got core shape and movement to play with as differentiating factors for dodging: As long as all bullets shaped a specific way move the same way, you're good. I think that generally the major differentiation points (like colour) should be used for specific secondary information, like this bullet isn't going to hurt you right now, but this one will, etc.

You could use the same size/shape/movement coherence for player bullets too, giving you a much closer colour spectrum to play with on those - so player shots could all be very closely coloured in order to differentiate them from enemy shots, but the subtle variations in their colour could help players identify the mode that they're in right now. There are couple of ways to do that, personally I'd give the bullets all the same primary colour, but have them fade to different effect colours as they moved on, so it would be obvious by their trails which state you were in.

There's lots of ways the colour can be used very subtly to signify stuff. One of my favorite uses is in DDR, where all the arrows cycle through this crazy garish colour set as they scroll, so each arrow will - at some point of its life on the screen - be every possible arrow colour. The trick here is that relative arrow colour is important: Every arrow that's on the same part of the beat, is the same colour. This is consistent across every single song, so once you pick it up, you can tell how fast you need to respond to an arrow by it's degree of difference to the arrows around it. And yes, this information is also given to you by the arrow's actual physical location up the screen, but it's a secondary channel that helps reinforce timing information that you might otherwise miss when you're just pattern matching shapes and layouts of arrows.

Personally, I think that's genius. It's one of the key elements of the design of DDR that makes play at crazy high speeds possible and a huge factor in establishing those highly entertaining "flow" states that we all enjoy. (There are even different options on arrow cycling colours for colourblind players to give them maximum spectrum for recognition)
    Thanked by 2Karuji Nitrogen
  • Hunh, I play DDR tons... Played, and I've never thought anything of the colour of the arrows. It was always the position for me. I read the game like I read text, driving my body like a punch card drives a computer.

... Too much information? :P
  • edited
    @Tuism: The colours in DDR are pretty subliminal. I noticed it at first mostly when playing battle mode in DDR3 or 4 (whichever one had that thing going where all the arrows were the same colour depending on which side had to hit them). I didn't realise that I'd internalised the colour information that much until I was like "Wait, why am I off time here?" then it got reinforced when you play with the shadow or fade modifier and the arrows are disappearing halfway up the screen.

Also yeah, I loved the way DDR felt more like you were just zoning out, staring past the patterns and just interpreting them almost unintentionally.

Like any good UI, you don't notice it till it's taken away ;)

• So we've changed the enemy bullet colour to be consistent throughout, player bullets will be a while off until there is a colour change with them (read after rAge.)

Also no decal changes yet (sorry @Tuism)

But on the very plus side there is now screenshake on enemy kill, and bigger enemies give bigger screenshake (yay!)

Sorry that there is no new build but I need to poke Mike to fix the hyper-star in the UI before I upload a new build (though will likely also have some tweaks to the menu in final prep for rAge so it will be a bit odd.)

But thanks for the advice really good to get it so I'll hone those video editing skillz. (This one is less terrible than the last)
    Thanked by 1retroFuture
  • That definitely looks a lot easier to read... Any reason the enemy bullet colour is so close to the level background colour?
  • @dislekcia I picked a colour that was distinct from the players own shots. @Karuji captured the video on a backdrop that resembled (but hopefully doesn't obscure) the bullet colours.
  • Ye I need to work on the video stuffs, though I think the last one was a bit better.

Also final build for rAge. Sorry that there are a bunch of the regular features that we cut out of the game. But it is intended for a demo PC at a show ;)