[Event] Windows 8 Game Jam - 31 May 2013

edited in Events
When: 19:00, Friday, 31 May -2 June 2013
Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg

What: Make games targeting the Windows 8 and/or Windows Phone 8 platform using C++ DirectX, Unity3D, Game Maker or XNA.

FYI, the Unity3D Windows 8 add-on by registering for the open Beta Program http://unity3d.com/beta/windowsstoreapps

Read more here http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/03/27/unity-4-beta-program-for-windows-phone-apps/
Thanked by 2hanli Bensonance

Comments

• And the support for Game Maker being? Just make it in Game Maker and wait for the compiler... Or is there already one?

(I would Google it except Google isn't working on my Chrome. True story. WTF is going on...)
  • You can already built for Windows Phone 8 with GM
  • Good stuff :)
  • I'm quite new to this, what exactly happens? Do we stay over? Do we bring our own pcs? Our own food? I'm completely clueless.
  • No you don't stay over, the office closes around 23:00 and reopens around 8:00.

Yes, you bring your own PC and any equipment you want. Closer to the time there will be an opportunity to register (free) for an Internet connection for the time you're there.

Yes, you will need to feed yourself. There's coffee and water on offer and normally groups of people go out for lunch and dinner to one of the restaurants in the area.
  • Would we need a Windows Store developer account ? Or can we just prove that the game can run in windows 8 ?
  • edited
    Same weekend as Kin-kon, sadly so I'll have to give it a skip.
  • No, you won't need a Windows Store account and our gracious host is going to try and organise some Windows 8 phones and tablets for people to deploy to.
  • Another question. May we use construct 2 https://www.scirra.com/
  • I don't see why not :)
  • Awesome.

On a side note do you work at Microsoft ?
    Cause ive seen that most of the meetups and events is at their offices.
  • No, I don't work for Microsoft. We make use of Microsoft's Community Night where they open their campus to various Microsoft technology communities and we squeeze in because the Microsoft Developer Evangelist has a soft spot for game development.

This game jam is being organized by the Microsoft Developer Evangelist and others and in order to get permission from his superiors to use the venue he had to put a spin on the theme to make it Microsoft centric.
  • keen! Had a blast at the last one :)
    Thanked by 1Rigormortis
  • Will also be there! Have my bands first album launch night of the 25th so I will not be around for some of the time but will come from Friday night till whenever I can on sat then come back on sunday. Looking forward to it!
  • PLEASE NOTE THE DATE HAS CHANGED!!

Apologizes from Microsoft, but they've had to move the event out a month to 31 May - 2 June 2013. The location and times haven't changed.
  • That makes this a hell of a lot easier for me.... :D :D :D Can't wait!
  • Hi All

Just want to say that everything is good to go for next week Friday and we have a couple surprises thrown in. See you all there.

• Howzit, I'm a prospective game design student. Would it be alright if I came past to check it out?
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • @sashabii You can definitely drop by :).
  • Hi All I am busy trying to compile a list of people attending the jam so I can organise internet access. If you are coming to the jam could you drop me a mail to:

drussell@microsoft.com

With the following details:

Full names:
    Email Address:

Thanks

Dave
  • I'll probably drop by, but we got netrunner regionals on sunday so... direct conflict there :P
  • I can probably only visit on Friday but I'll try come on Saturday and/or Sunday evening
  • Thanks for the great jam guys! I learnt and lot and it was awesome fun! Looking forward to the next one! :D
  • edited
    Had an awesome Jam. Thanks to Dave Russel for organizing epic prizes, and to everyone who came for being super friendly and helpful.
    The theme was "innovation comes from crisis" and here is what I came up with.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13499439/Meltdown1.0.1/index.html

It was designed to be a touch game but you can play it with a mouse too.
    Thanked by 1Tim_Harbour