[Event] Games Design Workshop at UCT 3rd August 2013

edited in Events
Hi everyone, I would like to try organize a Unity3D introduction workshop type thing next semester at UCT.
I thought we could organise it as a MakeGamesSA event and open it up to anyone who would like to learn about Unity. I particularly want to aim it at the 3rd year games students at UCT to get them into the forums and at the community evenings (they are particularly good at ignoring my invitations).

I will try organise a venue etc. for a Saturday morning/afternoon and look at catering/workstations. Would anyone like to give some talks about Unity dev or general games design (like a juice talk)? Would anyone be interesting in attending the event? Worst case scenario I will just do a practical tutorial type thing with some of the students that are interested.

If there is enough interest maybe we could add more advanced talks or a game maker talk too?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE (26/07/13):
The event has been organised, hoorah!

Here is the final flyer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29499659/GameDevWorkshop6-01-01.png

Here is a map to the location:
Here is the location on google maps.

Here is the map of UCT upper campus.

Comments

• Sounds awesome. What level of "skill" is required? Maybe we could open this up to some of the local schools as well?
  • Hmm I'm not sure, If we had a general games intro thing with game maker then I think that would definitely be on the cards (though we would need someone with game maker experience). The Unity intro would be aimed at people who can already basic program and maybe know a little 3D maths (so the 3rd year games students don't get bored).

I guess it depends on if people can help me with giving talks etc. I'm not exactly the best speaker and I don't really know anything about game maker.
  • I'd be keen to do a talk if need be, there are some more qualified folk around who might also be keen though!
  • I am keen to make this happen. If you need an intro to Game Maker, I can do that in my sleep these days ;)
  • Awesome, thanks @raithza and @dislekcia. I will begin the organizational process :D
  • Count me in too ^_^
    Thanked by 1creative630
  • And my axe!
    Thanked by 1creative630
  • edited
    So here is my attempt at a poster for the day:

Here is the illustrator file if anyone wants to see/use the source.

So does anyone have any criticism? What do you think of the dates/times/workshops/venue/spelling etc.?
    The venue I have in mind is the one we use at the global game jam (just waiting for confirmation).

I am assuming @dislekcia will handle the first slot. @raithza is there a slot you prefer/want to add?
    @raxter and @Manikin, would you two like to talk too? Or just participate as helpers/tutors?

I think we should add a practical slot at the end or in the middle where we can go and do a game maker/board game making practical in the labs.

Thanked by 1Merrik
  • The poster looks sweet! Nice one! Although I was checking my plans and I see the the 28th of July is a Sunday. 28th of June is a Friday - is this planned for this month or next?

Anyway, I'm more than likely free on both :P

I'm not sure if I have anything to talk about, but I'm definitely happy to help/tutor. l'll think if I have any chunks of wisdom for a small talk, and if I do I'll run it through you guys, and maybe do one. But otherwise, just helping out would be cool.
  • Wow, this looks amazing. As someone just starting out and having finally decided on gamemaker, I will definitely be attending.
  • @Manikin Haha thanks, I will correct that, 27th of July it is!

@Adonais Glad to hear you are interested!
  • Hehe, no problem @creative630!

I'll spread the word to some friends and colleagues too :)
  • No break for lunch?
  • @dislekcia: The lunch break looks like 12-13. <_<
  • edited
    Only 1 hour for lunch?!?!

Hey, if needed I'd be prepared to do a bit of help. Though I'm not really a tool person, and not really a serious coder. I think my strengths in programmering are jamming things quickly in Unity... But I'm much more comfortable with design. My thoughts about coding practices bring tears of dispair to the eyes proper coders (causing temporary blindness in some cases).

Maybe @Raxter can speak to @JHoward ... he's (one more) swarthy code master that'd be a boon to the roster.
  • edited
    @dislekcia I will add lunch onto it more clearly :P

@BlackShipsFilltheSky Your input would be perfect for the juice/prototyping session! If you want to, no pressure, I would like that session to be more design and why game-jams-are-great oriented. If @JHoward and/or @raxter could talk about advanced Unity code stuff, in an extra slot, that would be amazing too :D
  • *Sigh* It seems like all the venues in the computer science building are booked out on Saturdays, and possibly Sundays.
    Whats the general feeling for holding the workshop on a Sunday(if I could get a venue).
    I'm trying to get a venue somewhere else on a Saturday anyway.
  • Cape Town desperately needs a Hacker Dojo....
  • I'm super keen for this :)

Would be fine with Sunday or Saturday :P
  • @WrathZA There was Codebridge which kinda was a hacker dojo, but I'm not sure we can use that.

@atomicdomb I'm working on it, a lecturer decided to help because I think they don't take students trying to book venues seriously.
  • edited
    We have a venue! Woohooo!

Ok so a small change of dates, we will now be hosting it on Saturday the 3rd of August.
    So I'll fix up the flyer and we can start advertising.

[Edit:] Here is the flyer:
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • edited
    btw. If I am to talk about juice then I want to do a juice-related talk called "Why do Cheerleaders Cheer?"

It'll be practical (in its application), but I want to discuss some of the reasons why juice works as well as it does.
    Thanked by 1creative630
  • Sounds good to me! :D
  • Wish I could be there!
  • Ill be there, and will let the rest of the team know about it
  • Arghhhh - I'd love to be there for this :(. The game design stuff looks particulary awesome :D.

Would it be silly if I said I might try roadtrip down to Cape Town for this? :P :)
  • Thanks @rumor!

@Bensonance I don't think it would be silly... but if you do plan to do it, let me know so that I can make sure its damn well worth your time :P
  • Hey Guys! Great Idea, keen to be apart of it!
  • @CookieMonster Awesome! Are you keen to just attend or get more involved?
  • @creative630 Both! But Im not a student, so I will make myself avail when possible!
  • I would really like to get you guys to submit some of these to AMAZE... (please)
  • edited
    So just a few updates and thoughts that I would like to discuss and get help with if anyone is willing (this is the moment to start volunteering and suggesting stuff!).
    • I'm looking into getting sponsors for the event. I have gotten in contact with Amazon and I'm waiting for an answer. Does anyone know any companies that might like to sponsor/contribute?
    • I would like to live-stream/record the event, anyone have contacts that would be willing to record for us? I will ask around too.
    • I am looking into organising some kind of catering. I think if we somehow got sponsored lunch that would be pure win, else I thought there could be a small cover charge or shop-based braai thing for lunch. Obviously we would get more students attending if there was free/cheap food...
    • I will be blackmailing a family member to photograph the event. I thought we could use some pictures if we ever made some sort of news-photo-gallery for the front page of MakeGamesSA?(I'm just throwing the thought out there)
    @hanli I agree :) It would obviously be way better/personal live, but maybe if it was recorded we could reuse the footage of some of the talks?
  • edited
    Here are some of the details that still need to be decided:
    Sponsorship: I have contacted Amazon and they will hopefully be sponsoring the event, this is however not set in stone (I will post an update when it is). This might cover catering... else if that doesn't work I'd like to sell boerewors rolls or something? Would anyone be willing to miss a talk to help braai if that's the case?

Talks: I need confirmation on who would like to give talks, so please confirm below...
    From the messages above I am hoping:
    • @Dislekcia will take the first session, which is a game-maker based intro to game design talk.
    • @BlackShipsFilltheSky will take part of the second session, giving a talk on juice titled "Why do Cheerleaders Cheer?". I still need someone to give a talk on prototyping (unless you can take that too @BlackShipsFilltheSky?).
    • Finally, I was hoping @raxter and @raithza could take the intro to Unity3D session(s)?
      Also maybe we could do some short talks/ a hangout section at the end, where people can show off their games (such as @Manikin and co.'s Silhouette)?
  • Also, could someone with admin/organiser rights on the MakeGamesSA meetup page please create an event for the workshop? (According to the current details in the flyer)
  • @creative630 I've been thinking if I can contribute anything talk wise. The only thing I can think of is an introduction to Unity, and I think @raxter and @raithza would be better for this.

So I'd like to help, and demo Silhouette if there's time at the end. I'll gladly answer questions about it, and chat to whoever's around. If there are some people playing and interested in the game, I can chat a little about the usefulness of game jams in kicking off an idea, and some similar topics about scope and whatnot, but I don't think that constitutes a whole talk.

Oh, and speaking of game jams, we should probably make sure we point out the numerous game jam events available, via something like compohub.net.
  • @Manikin Why don't you talk about game jamming as an introduction to prototyping alongside @BlackShipsFilltheSky's juice talk? Even if you only take 10min I think it would be enough (talks generally take longer than you think it will) :) No pressure though.
  • Yeah... I'm happy to talk about juice, or prototyping. But an hour long talk is kind of too much (I've got a lot of Broforce work to get through this month).

Unless I play videos for a bunch of the two talks? Which I can do, it means a somewhat less focused talk, but less stress on my part. (I assume there will be a projector?)
  • @creative630 That sounds cool, I'd like to do that, though it will probably be quite short - 10 to 15 minutes or so. Gonna make some notes now.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky There will definitely be a projector, and I don't want anyone feeling pressured to more preparation than they can manage. So supplementing time with videos or interactive examples etc. is most welcome.

@Manikin Fantastic, thanks so much! :D

Or... Maybe if you both did 10-15min we could do a short paper prototyping session with the tiny game design tool?
  • Will this be useful to attend even if we're not planning on design computer games? Or is that going to be the focus?
  • edited
    Hmmm, good question. I would hope that the first two sessions could apply to a broader context. The first session will most probably involve a little game maker and code but it should be aimed at anyone interested in making games, not just programmers.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure how to involve the those that don't want to design computer games. Any suggestions?
    [Edit:]Well I'm not sure in the context of the talks we already have.
  • I'm good to to Unity3D sessions and maybe some useful techniques (thinking things like singletons and scriptable objects? it that too much maybe?)
  • @raxter I think those techniques would be good, but one of you guys should also maybe run through a quick setup, just basically demoing how quick and easy it is to get some controls and a rigidbody or transform going.

@creative630: My pleasure! And the paper prototyping thing is a good idea too.

@dammit: I would imagine the juicing stuff might be interesting nonetheless, and the intro talks might convince you to dabble a bit in the dark arts :P
  • @Manikin yeah, agreed, I was thinking about it and that sort of stuff would only be useful once the person (student? workshopee?) has a good hold of how unity interfaces the editor and inspector object with code and how MonoBehaviour & Co. operate (namely Transform, Vector3, Camera and Input)
    Thanked by 1Manikin
  • edited
    So I just got confirmation that Amazon Web Services will be sponsoring our lunch on the day :D, just another reason to attend!
    Thanked by 1Manikin
  • Here is the latest (hopefully final) poster. Please let me know what you think so that I can go print them! :D

• edited
    Ok, I lied. Here is another version of the poster.

• Looks great @creative630! Any idea of the numbers at the moment?
  • edited
    I am going to be printing out flyers today and visiting classes tomorrow, so then I'll update you later tomorrow :)
    Thanked by 1Manikin