D: Defend The Sheep

Hi guys.

First playable build:
When the game is completed the idea will be that you will start with only the pistol and then buy the rest of them. Also, the switching of weapons is a very fast double tap so you don't accidentally switch weapons when you meant to rotate. The current creeps are completely random, I just spawn them to test the weapon mechanics.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/defendthesheep/files/latest/download?source=files

Intro
Since this is my first post I will just say that I am so glad to find a community revolved around game development in South Africa. And you guys are so active too! Okay well enough about that here is the game i'm going to try and create.

So since the game is limited to two buttons I realized I had two choices:

A ) Make the game skill-based (multiple combos for buttons etc...)
B ) Keep the controls simple but the gameplay complex

I was never good with those classic arcade games where button combo's were the way to win (like Streetfighter and Tekken), so I decided to go
with simple controls but a nice(ish) gameplay mechanic. My game will be based on those classic defend the castle games where you must defend
your castle against hordes of enemies. But of course I'm going to add a nice South African flavour, so it's going to be a farmer AKA "boer" :p defending
his flock of sheep from the dangers outside the pen.

Controls
Left: Rotate the farmer left
Right: Rotate the farmer right

Shoot: Left + Right

Next Weapon: (Double tap) Right
Previous Weapon (Douple tap) Left

Reload: Quickly tap Left then Right then Left etc..

Screenshot of the current progress

The lines are just there so I can visualize the trajectory and properties of the current weapon. (My skewed perception of unit testing :p ). Basically the green area is the highest damage, blue is moderate damage, and red is poor damage. The angle determines the accuracy of the weapon.

Of course to balance everything out, each weapon will have different base damage, reload speed etc..
Oh and those are just placeholder sprites.

Comments

• edited
    Oh damn... I just realized I put this in the wrong section :/ Sorry
    Could an Admin please delete this thread?

EDIT: I found a way to fix it :)
  • edited
    Where's the download? The more you post your game while it's in progress the quicker you can get feedback on what's working, what's not and if the idea is solid.
  • Okay thank you. I've posted the first build.
  • It's working well. I actually like the visualised hitcone, btw. It acts as a good shorthand to communicate weapon states, and I don't think it detracts from the skill required at all, especially if you alter enemy stats to compensate.

Post moar! Keen to see how you expand on this.