A summary of what MGSA/ SA Game Dev did in 2013

edited in Association News
Hey all!

As we're a growing association, I think that it's important to track data to see how we're expanding; how we can improve; and how awesome we've been.

So here's a collection of cool facts/data about MGSA/SA Game Dev in 2013 (I was gonna use cool graphs and charts, but without prior data it's hard to compare things graphically - when I have time I might collect data from 2012 and then I'll do charts):

Prototypes posted in 2013: ±207
Art works posted: ±132
Music/Sound pieces posted ±23 (only five of these were outside the sound competitions run).

Jobs Posted ±28
Paid jobs: 16
Profit Sharing Jobs 2
Unclear Payment Jobs 10

Greenlit Games: 5
- Broforce
- Pixelboy
- Rook's Keep
- Viscera Cleanup Detail
- Stasis

Awaiting greenlighting: Khumba: The Game; The Maker's Eden; zX: Hyperblast; Toxic Bunny HD.

Kickstarted Games: 2 , total funds raised: $167 000
- Stasis: - $140 000
- Ancient Terrible Things - $27 000

Released Games: 18
* Dig! - Tasty Poison
* Neon Shadow - Tasty Poison
* Rhino Raid - Tasty Poison
* Snailboy - Thoopid!
* Bounty Arms - Open Reset + Luma Arcade
* Love Dodge - Pure Fun Games
* Fleet of One - Polymorph Systems
* Soccer Moves - Fuzzy Logic
* PartyTouch - codeRooster
* Tortuga Tales Pinball - Ian Pienaar
* Eskom Energy Planner - Forumula D Interactive
* Greed City - Lighthouse Games Studio
* Zombie Voice Box - Lighthouse Games Studio
* The Harvest - Luma Arcade
* Dark Project - Dark Faction
* Desktop Dungeons - QCF Design
* Rooks Keep - RuneStorm
* Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage - RuneStorm

Games in active Development: 14
* Cadence - Made With Monster Love
* Blazin' Aces HD - Duncan Bell
* Viscera Cleanup Detail - RuneStorm
* Ancient Terrible Things - Pleasant Co Games
* Stasis - The Brotherhood
* Zombie Apocalypse Arcade
* Broforce - Free Lives
* The Maker's Eden - Screwy Lightbulb
* Clash? - Clash Dev
* Khumba: The Game - SIJO Studios
* Death Smashers - Free Lives
* PixelBoy - Giant Box Games
* Atajrubah - Nexy Media
* Bear Chuck? - Steven Tu
* zX: Hyperblast - RetroFuture
* System Crash - Rogue Moon Studios

Games invited to international festivals: 10
* Silhoutte - Manikan Games - Rezzed
* Desktop Dungeons - QCF Design - Minecon
* Broforce - Free Lives - A MAZE Germany, Minecon
* A Day in The Woods (RetroEpic) - A MAZE Germany
* Desktop Dungeons - QCF Design - A MAZE Germany
* Escape Velocity - Richard Pieterse - A MAZE Germany
* zX: Hyperblast - RetroFuture - A MAZE Germany
* Giving, Giving Gone - Wits Students - Games For Change Festival
* Eskom Energy Planner - Forumula D Interactive - Games For Change Festival

Comments

• edited
    We'll use this data for comparison in future years so if you're left out of one of the categories please speak up!

Also, if you have an idea for another category you feel should be tracked, don't hesitate to say so!

Obviously, the most beneficial other category to track would be the unit sales, profits, and revenues of the games released. But this would need to be a more formal, MGSA sanctioned activity and would need to remain anonymous apart from something like, "Total unit sales of South African games: xbillion" etc.

Having access to this sort of data will be really useful as MGSA grows - that's the sort of data that can attract investors for studios and funding for MGSA.
    Thanked by 3dammit dislekcia Tuism
  • edited
    Just a correction: Bounty Arms was made by Open Reset, not Luma (...although Luma helped!). :)
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • *jaw bounces off floor*
    Thanked by 2Bensonance hanli
  • edited
    Those are not small numbers. Those are encouragingly big numbers. These are words saying this.

Also, I believe that @garethf's System Crash is still very much under development.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Woo! I like those numbers!

Nicely done to whoever took the time to wrangle all those stats.
  • This looks mad amazing, makes me so happy to be part of this awesomeness :')
  • This is awesome! Amazing what has happened in a single year!

Great stuff everyone, keep up the awesomeness!
  • Indeed it is, Gazza, indeed it is.

Awesome work dudes, those are good numbers!
  • edited
    @Bensonance - For Infographic purposes, why not compare out stats to international stats of some sort? Could be interesting if you find on another country that's also got indie industry stats :)
  • Wow that's an impressive list, looking forward to see how 2014 compares.
  • dammit said:
    @Bensonance - For Infographic purposes, why not compare out stats to international stats of some sort? Could be interesting if you find on another country that's also got indie industry stats :)
    O.O who edited my post?

• Incredible and inspiring!!
  • Awesome, thanks Ben its good to keep track of these things as you've said it'll be useful for many things. Also I believe that its good to mention the achievements that SA Game Dev has made and to make mention of them.
  • Really a great summary esp since it feels like the momentum was picking up towards the end of the year.

Just a though in terms of prototypes, are we separating the ones done for jams, comps and just in general.
  • @tbulford

I didn't separate the prototypes up like that, no - probably should have :/.

That number is just all game prototypes posted :).
  • @tbulford

I didn't separate the prototypes up like that, no - probably should have :/.

That number is just all game prototypes posted :).
    Nah, a prototype is a prototype is a prototype. Doesn't really matter where they came from, the point is that they were made available for people to give feedback on.

• @dislekcia True!

But it's useful to know what's motivating people to make games. Just like it's useful to know that only five music and sound pieces were posted outside of those motivated by the Sound Competitions: which shows us we need more sound and music people on the site / need more competitions :).

• I am busy making an infographic of this info, so if there's anymore granularity available in the data please add it in :)
  • @Tuism

Yeah the lack of granularity is why I didn't use an info-graphic in the first place :). It's difficult to make info-graphics without comparing things to each other :).

I'm compiling data from 2012, after which I'll make an info-graphic.
  • Tuism said:
    I am busy making an infographic of this info, so if there's anymore granularity available in the data please add it in :)
    What kind of granularity do you have in mind? It's possible the information can be found :)
  • well done to them all
  • @dammit well I don't particularly have anything in mind, just thought since people were talking about more info I'd raise it. @Bensonance seems to have more info lined up so I'll see what he's got :)
  • Nice to be included <3
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • @dislekcia the thinking of making the split on where prototypes came from was to see what activities the MGSA does that promotes the building of prototypes most. I still think the split would have been useful for that reason.
  • Was doing some research for a question somebody asked me about the comparative state of the SA games industry over the years. Found a bunch of old articles (which are interesting reading in their own right) and then this comment I wrote in 2009.

"I'm working on getting the local community up to a point where we could send over a business ambassador to something like GDC. Of course, if we can get an indie team to be those ambassadors while they've been nominated for a prize at the IGF, that would be the best of both worlds."
    Thanked by 2Bensonance Tuism
  • Hells bells that's quite a list, well done all - 2014 should be an even more interesting year, and hopefully we'll see more music as well!
  • This is awesome!! So proud of this community :D
  • Hey Bensonance

Thanks for the mention of my game (Tortuga Tales Pinball)

small typo on my surname though , its Pretorius - not Pienaar ;)

cheers
  • @Tuism

Yeah the lack of granularity is why I didn't use an info-graphic in the first place :). It's difficult to make info-graphics without comparing things to each other :).

I'm compiling data from 2012, after which I'll make an info-graphic.
    Heyyyyy, I know we're all super busy, but any word on this? :P I wanna make an infographic, but now I'm kinda stuck between 2013 and 2014... I think I'll just stick with the 2013 data with a couple of addendum for what's happened so far this year (mostly re successful greenlights and things like that)

The 2012 stuff I'm less worried about :)

Cool! :)
  • Uhhhh not really that high on my priorities right now :).

I think the data can be represented visually in cool ways, but there isn't really enough data yet to use bar charts and comparative to do a proper 'infographic'. :)

What you need it for? :)
  • Not need, just feel like it would be nice to have an infographic for mgsa :)

But yes, priorities - it's not high on my list right now, I'm just spitballing :)